Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hackable Shutters
So, while I was pointing out how terrible shutters are in a thread, I had a startling realization.

What if we added in a special method for hacking shutters?

As it stands, Shutters are ridiculously bullshit. Even more so than the infini-windows that are still around the station in a few places. Those, at least, can be busted through with patience and time. Shutters are just "Nope, this path is now 100% blocked off, fuck you go around."

So what if we leave in the bullshit sturdiness of shutters, but add in a way to get past them? I'm thinking make hacking shutters a combination of door hacking, and R-wall destroying. To start with, since shutters don't have a maintenance panel, you need to use a weldingtool on them to carve out an entrance, and then a crowbar to jimmy it open. This provides the big obvious "Has a hole cut in it" sprite similar to when a door is screwdrivered, to alert occupants that somebody is breaking in. Once in, you click the shutter and a panel pops up similar to the hacking screen for a door, except since shutters are hydraulically powered it's a series of pressure bolts. Using a wrench, you can loosen a bolt to depressurize that hydraulic pump. Use it on it again to tighten the bolt and repressurize. Use a weldingtool on it to permanently fuck it up. (Like cutting the bolts on an unpowered door.) The trick is to depressurize the two pumps that "close" the shutter, and pressurize one of the pumps that "opens" it, tp cause the shutter to crack open enough to then open it with a crowbar. Instead of shocking you, if you open the wrong pump it blasts you with scalding hot steam. (Makes you scream, light stun, burn damage)

So now we have a long, arduous process which can reliably open shutters, allowing for shutters to safely be put on more things around the station without the annoying bullshit of permanently locking places down with the press of a button. It turns shutters into a fun, involved speed bump, instead of an instant roadblock. What do you think?
Don't trust me on this one, but I'm pretty sure that shutters can be crowbared open if they are unpowered. That said, I wouldn't mind another way to get through these with some time.
MyBlueCorners Wrote:Don't trust me on this one, but I'm pretty sure that shutters can be crowbared open if they are unpowered. That said, I wouldn't mind another way to get through these with some time.

Nope, your right. Kill the local apc and the shutters are an easy target
Well, shit, I didn't know that. Either way, though, it would be nice to have a way to open them that doesn't depend on the APC running out of juice.
There are a whole bunch of ways to take an APC offline if you've done any work getting prepared though. The same tools you'd likely need to break through a wall or a regular airlock can kill an APC.
unless i'm remembering incorrectly you can down an APC with a screwdriver, a crowbar, and your teeth. and you'll have the crowbar for the shutters, too!!