Mentor Application 2 - Wrench-1 (Maverick Sabre)
Usual character name: Maverick Sabre , Cassius, Evelyn Copperpot, Eve Evans, EVE
BYOND username: Wrench-1
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Wrench#8934
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: Morty & Sylvester, and rarely Heisenbee

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):

I have been playing and thoroughly enjoying this game since August 2020, so around 17 months now. For the sake of transparency, this is my second mentor application. I originally applied back midway through 2021, but I became less and less enthusiastic with the prospects of becoming a Mentor, and was unhappy with my general attitude at the time. I requested my original application be deleted, and took a long time to reflect and improve my general attitude. Currently, I feel I am in a better position to try again!

I wish to become a Mentor because I really want to give something back to this community that has given so much enjoyment to me, and help it grow strong with new players and assist veterans alike. I want to assist them with learning their job roles, and teaching them fun things they can do in their job roles to encourage them to experiment and stick around, learning more jobs and becoming part of the wider community, and with the RP Server, learning how to RP their job roles to potentially make some In-Character, and maybe OOC, friends. I see myself as a friendly and open person that new players, and veterans alike, can talk and have fun with both in game, and on the Discord whenever I happen to be active there. I'm also very open to encouraging others to be honest with how they feel, and a few times I've asked folks to just vent their frustrations at me, if they've had a particularly rotten experience in round.

Primarily, I find that I have a wide range of general knowledge about the game in every area, but my key strengths lie in Security, Science and Civilian jobs, mainly Bartender. I understand that the first few rounds as Security can be a really steep learning curve and is often a turn off for a lot of players. Currently, I always ask on Security Comms at round start if there is anyone new, and encourage them to step forward if they wish to learn the ropes or ask any questions, and I'll always encourage other officers to do the same. Following that, I'll spend the first 10 - 15 minutes of the round running through the main aspects of Security and going over the Sec Assistant loadout, or the chosen Sec Officer loadout, and giving practical examples of each item and where is best to use them, and where is best to not use them. If no one comes forward, and often this is the case, I always keep an eye out for any officers that seem like they are struggling, and I will make sure to ask if they need some help with anything. I also actively encourage the use of good Sec Etiquette to keep officers as a positive aspect of peoples rounds, as opposed to the potential of being a negative aspect. When playing Security, I also like to keep the round fun and engaging for the Antags, and create interesting scenarios for them to work around and RP with, and not just stomp them out at the first sign of trouble. I will also often take a step back in situations and encourage other officers to take on tasks and respond to calls and investigations, making more engaging rounds for everyone on the Sec Team.

When it comes to Science, I am experienced primarily in Artifact Research and Telesci, and often encourage the use of both together to make the selling and acquisition of artifacts effective and satisfying! I also have moderate Toxins and Chem experience. When it comes to Artlab, I know how all the different stimuli work and alternative methods of triggering the stimuli, the different potential types of artifacts, the short hand commands for running Artlab scripts, and I'm able to troubleshoot DWAINE when the console is accidentally reset, getting the lab back on track. I often find myself doing this even when I'm not working Artlab as its a very easy mistake that new players, and even veterans often make. In addition with Artlab, I notice that a lot of the time, folks seem to believe only one person can run it, but I actively encourage folks to help out and learn Artlab so we can work it together. I'll answer questions, encourage folks to leave the wiki page open, and showcase fun artifacts I find with them.

With Civilian jobs, I primarily play as Barkeep. I find the aspect of mixing and decorating a spread of cocktails and chatting and RPing with other players to be very therapeutic and relaxing. I like to create a bar atmosphere that people can come to and wind down to chat, or vent about their job. But one aspect I really enjoy about Barkeep is that it is quite possibly the main job that interacts with the highest volume of new players, with the bar often being a centralised hub area, and a Bartender being a very cut and dry job description that anyone can understand and know what they do. I'll often get new players visiting my bar and asking for directions, asking for a drink, or asking how to perhaps roll a joint. I try my best to point them in the directions they wish to go, in the direction of fun activities, encourage them to take up a rather easy to understand job, or just be a player that they know they can come back to and get to interact with. Talking to others can be very very daunting in the first few rounds because you don't really understand the controls or the general community, so engaging with new players as Barkeep, or any job for that matter, gets them over this little hurdle and gets them talking and engaging with others in future rounds.

When it comes to Engineering and Medical departments, I have enough knowledge of every job in said department where I can effectively teach anyone the ropes and get them started off, and answer any follow up questions. I can show someone how to build their first Borg, how to do their first operation, and how to set up a simple TEG. I believe I have enough knowledge to teach and give advice in every area of the game, however my Engineering knowledge is not super robust enough to describe the inner workings of each gas, and how to effectively do a Pipe Burn or any other complex engine setup. My Mechcomp knowledge is also very basic, however I can teach simple teleport networks and a few basic fun contraptions. Overall I still have A LOT to learn with Engineering.

Of course, I am always learning new things about this game every day, and whatever I can learn, I want to share with others to make their experiences more fun and engaging and be a positive influence on the community going forward.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):

I have not been banned before.
I think Wrench has proved to be a kind of person that is knowledgeable, fun, and that knows how to not abuse OOC knowledge. Very fun person to be around and generally just a cool mate both on discord and space. +1.
Another 100% +1 knows their stuff, is fun and welcoming. MOPSY Seal of Approval.
Most of my experience with Wrench (Maverick) has been in the security department. Whatever role he's playing, he's always a joy to have on the team. Friendly, engaging, and knowledgeable are good words to describe him. Without fail, no matter what job he has in the security department, at round start I've always seen him offer to help any new officers, or offer advice for the more skilled hands looking for details on the finer points. He's displayed vast knowledge and patience, offering guidance and explaining mechanics or procedure in a clear but polite way.

I believe he would be great in the mentor role and a good asset for the community. Hearty +1!
Knows their stuff, fun to be around and all'round good guy. They'd make a good Mentor i think. +1
Wrench for sure would make a great mentor. Only of my fondest memories of security is when they took the time to teach me and how patient they were with me when I was learning the ropes. They are polite, patient and thorough when things are asked to be clarified further. They have a lot of knowledge and a good attitude +1 from me.
Wonderful person, would make a wonderful mentor. +1
+1 I have seen Wrench play so many different jobs! i feel they have lots and lots of super big brain knowledge on the game, I recall them helping me learn science stuff when i first started sci! i see wrench teach new players as much as he can, whether they are doing security, science or many of the other jobs! Wrench is kind and polite, and very patient when it comes to showing someone how something works, also explains things very well, that really helps with remembering it!

I feel Wrench is very kind and always happy to help people with all their big brain knowledge! would make a Great Mentor!
Wrench is someone I have seen a lot of improvement from over the almost two years I have been playing with him +1.
+1, work with Wrench a lot and it's always a good experience I have with him.
I thought I'd commented on this application, but turns out I didn't. Wrench is a very good player, and is pretty knowledgeable, I'd trust them to be a mentor. +1 from me
I think Wrench definitely knows their stuff and I've seen them teach others ingame. However, I have some reservations about their attitude (primarily in Discord) and how sometimes they talk about other players (newer players especially). I don't think I'd be comfortable seeing them as a mentor at this point.
I have played with Wrench1 alot ever since i started, and they are one of my favorite people to see on station. Wrench1 is always working very hard to produce the absolute best RP he can imagine and is constantly creating fun and interesting situations where the outcome usually leaves everyone satisfied and with a fun story to tell. From dying with you to a changeling on the ice moon, to seeing you slowly "become a vampire" by wearing a cursed mask, or becoming a rabid fan while we were roleplaying some silly katana duel gimmick, it has always been a blast. A few of my absolute most cherished moments on Goonstation as a whole have been with you and usually thanks to some contribution you made to the round in some way.
There is no doubt in my mind that Wrench1 has the knowledge to be a mentor for sure, as you are often helping out other departments or discussing with people and picking up bits and pieces of info that you retain and use later. I've also seen Wrench1 teach newer players from time to time, especially in security when he plays Maverick and leads the team.

This alone would make me give you the absolute shiniest +1 i've ever given, but there is one small thing that i'd like to talk about.

There have been times where some of your gimmicks didnt go too well due to something happening in the round; be it bad luck, someone messing up your plans or another unforeseen issue. By that i mean that the outcome wasnt quite what you envisioned, and that is fine. However i've seen you a few times getting quite tired and distraught in post round chat, especially on the discord. While i have never seen you personnally attack anyone, there's been a few times where you were expressing extended frustration about the events. This correlates i think with the few times you took leaves from the server for varrying durations (although that may be a misinterpretation on my part, in which case i retract this statement).

I think you'd make a great mentor, and you are one of my absolute favorite people to play with. I simply think you need to be able to control your emotions a bit more when rounds turn sour. Being a mentor means being subjected to people that ask you questions in all sorts of ways, sometimes in a rush, and its
important to be able to answer this question in an objective and unbiased manner.
this guy definitely knows how to pee +1

Wrench has been a consistent player ever since i started playing early last year, in that time i have seen him play many roles across a variety of characters. there's no doubt in my mind that he has the knowledge of how the game runs and how to help new players who are just trying to find their footing. He also knows that there are still areas that he needs work in and is not afraid to reach out to others for assistance which is an important trait for mentors to have as nobody can know everything. there's no doubt in my mind that wrench will make for a great mentor
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to some concerns around attitude. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be May 5. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep being a friendly and welcoming member of the community!