Mentor Application - Noahqshark
Quote: "All I ever wanted was the Truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow." - Lorgar Wrote:Usual character name: Noah Ullman (Always with a Golden Tophat)
BYOND username: Noahqshark
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Noahqshark
Recommended by (if applicable): NAN
Goon servers you play: Primarily Goon 1 Classic

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):

Reason for Application

My main reason for applying is that I love and have so much fun helping new players. My pass-time in ss13 has slowly evolved from learning the basics to learning roles. Then from learning roles to learning recipes. On and on until now where I went from learning for my own gain to learning to help other players. I've consistently gone out of my way to spend a round personally helping a single person. I'll probably continue to do this, but doing it through an official channel will be easier for players directly asking for information instead of me seeking out those in need.

I feel that change from selfish to selfless happened after my best experience on Goon to date. Very long round story short, it involved a rat, dark matter, depression, revival, an insane bartender, Space Law, friendship through loss, a funeral, and a wrong made right. Ask me about it on discord sometime, I'm not super active but I respond to pings and love reading through everyone's stories.

Game Experience

I've done a solid amount of time in most every department except command and a few civilian roles. When playing, I always have the wiki up of whatever role I'm in even if I'm pretty comfortable in it. Have you seen the amount of chem recipes there are!? 

Civilian:
Bartender and Janitor are where most of my civilian experience is. Janitor for getting started and my very first traitor round involving LOTS of shattered glass. And Bartender because I heard it was a great way to get into science but fell in love with being a dad for all the miscreants that slink in. Constantly having styptic on tap does wonders for bar fights.

Engineering:
Decent time in all jobs but mainly engineering. It took me forever to learn how not to blow the pipes up for a hellburn but I eventually did! Only took about eh... 7 or 8 blown engines. I also know how to start the Singulo and find hotspot setups for Oshan

Research:
Ah, my pride and joy. The amount of time spent pouring over the wiki and learning from co-workers have very fond memories for me. The rounds working in medbay where I'd be searching maintenance ducts for ling victims or jabbing atropine into hard crit patients and then dragging them to medbay are some of my favorites. Giving in to our robo-overlord or stealing butts during a wizard round plague my dreams!

I've spent many shifts in the research department and am never unhappy when placed there for any job. Though I don't particularly enjoy the Genetecist as it's a bit boring. But to each their own.

Command/Security:
Thinking back on this I've spent a surprising amount of rounds as either Head of Engineering or Medical Director. Whenever I played those roles were when I really got into a tutoring mood as I felt the whole department was my baby.

Funny story from a Head of Engineering round. One of the new Engis had blown the engine pipes while a revolution was taking place outside. We welded and hacked engineering shut but it turned out that most of my noob engi team were already revs. I accepted my fate but none of my previous subordinates wanted to kill me! Proceed to have a 10 minute comedy show of my engineering team beating back the tide of revolutionaries wanting my head, me screaming at them to kill me, and them constantly healing and/or pinning me down so I couldn't throw myself into the sea of toolboxes anything. The perks of being a great boss I guess?

As for Security. Many of my recent rounds have been chasing cyber criminals through the halls of the station. More often than not I try to leave off players with a warning and always try to ask why they're wanted. 9/10 times it's for something like urinating in public and I just parole them and send them on their way. The 1/10 times it's a perp and they get a head start but, in all honesty, who likes immediately getting a stun baton to the face?

Wrap Up
I guess that about covers the application? As a last sign off I'll just say that I don't think I'm ready for HoS yet. The responsibility of that role and the possible abuse someone can inflict if it's given to the wrong person could ruin the entire server's experience. I feel that by being a mentor, I can still play the game as I usually do while teaching others and learning more about the game myself. I've learned much that can help new and old players alike, but Goon's all about secrets, right?

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
I have no previous bans that I know of.

In my early days, did I get bwoinked for a few idiotic things? Of course, but I've come a long way and I can't remember a time in the past six months that I've caught the attention of an admin.
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to lack of community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be May 5. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep being a friendly and welcoming member of the community!