Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
With the huge pops on Classic, Janitor could use a small buff.
Suggestions:
1. The cart being able to hold all of their supplies (Mops, buckets, wet floor signs! Maybe some grenades?) (And being trackable on their PDA along with the garbage boxes)
2. Give them mega-wave the Tsunami gets on a minute cooldown? 
3. Starting with a utility, or "Janitorial" belt to hold their cleaner grenades.
4. Replacing(?) their spray bottles with recharging ones like cyborgs get - Refilling those is a royal pain in the ass. Alternatively, getting a sort of faucet/container of the stuff in their closet.

These are just suggestions meant to initiate conversation - Janitorial is a pain in the ass if you actually try to keep the station clean.

Of course, if you have opinions to the contrary (I love the uphill battle) I'd love to hear them as well.

I think suggestion 1 is the most reasonable but it'd require a lot of sprite/codework I think.

And before anyone asks - I don't think Janitor should be encouraged to rush debris every round for the tsunami to be able to keep the station in an orderly state.
no tsunami ever pls. I kinda wish that thing would get the axe one day.
technically janitors already have spray refills in their closet in the form of several cleaner bottles, but with the lack of a utility belt it gives diminishing returns to lug those around from the start of the round. giving the mop bucket the actual ability to hold mops would be sick, though, and putting some real value in the clunky carts might go a long way towards making them worth the hassle
(01-11-2022, 01:22 PM)Cal Wrote: 4. Replacing(?) their spray bottles with recharging ones like cyborgs get - Refilling those is a royal pain in 

Maybe add a spray bottle like the one the cyborgs get instead of replacing the old one. I like the normal one but having the cybernetic one in the debris field or having it in the janitor's office would be cool.
As a heavy janitor player, the utility belt is the biggest thing on the list of improvements I can get behind. Alternatively a cleaner grenade pouch would be a cheeky alternative and would improve my efficiency.
Other things, a quicker way to fill the floor buffer would be great like a click drag to sink or something because I have seen multiple newer janitors give up on the the thing after you realize the tank is empty.
If my mop could go in the mop bucket I would use the mop bucket, as it is most of the time it is easier to just go to a sink and wet your mop there instead of struggling to drag that clumsy thing around.
Cleaner bots need to clean under objects, and would also benefit from a guard function similar to secbots so that they don’t go chasing messes all around the station. If I leave it in medbay the trail of blood leaving the medical wing can lead it on quite the fantastic voyage.
I would also love a restricted space cleaner only chem station but thats kind of ehh to me since the sponge can do everything space cleaner can using just water
So, funny story, I actually was going to set out to program mop bucket tracking into the PDA program, but it turns out it already does that. Can't say the same for garbage bins, though.
As for the other changes, the only one I can really say I'm a fan of is giving janitors utility belts (mostly since I already find myself rushing one roundstart) and letting the mop bucket actually hold mops. The others I feel would affect the way janitors clean in a way I'm not sure is positive overall.
If janitors being outgunned is specifically a Classic problem, there is nothing stopping you from just grabbing the Tsunami and blasting the floors clean. Of course, you might not be entirely satisfied with this answer. So I have a few more possible changes:
  • Either make the number of janitor slots scale with the server population (So 4-5 janitors for a station with ~100 people), OR
  • Make a new role, the Nanotrasen Sanitation Operative, available once the server population crosses a specific threshold. They spawn with a bunch of powerful, if gimmicky, cleaning tools (eg. a Signifier ripoff that shoots mini-Tsunami waves, an extendable throwing mop) and slightly expanded access compared to a normal janitor.
The second option may be less than serious.
(01-11-2022, 02:33 PM)RubberRats Wrote: [*]Make a new role, the Nanotrasen Sanitation Operative, available once the server population crosses a specific threshold. They spawn with a bunch of powerful, if gimmicky, cleaning tools (eg. a Signifier ripoff that shoots mini-Tsunami waves, an extendable throwing mop) and slightly expanded access compared to a normal janitor.

The second option may be less than serious.
[*]
I love this idea .
I totally back giving Janitor a utility belt of some kind, I basically go for it round start anyways.

One thing I did think of is that having a utility belt and a bag might be confusing for new players who haven’t really figured out the games inventory management yet. If the reward system was better, I could totally imagine Jani getting access to utility belt after like, 2 or 3 levels (something very low to kinda enforce a learning curve almost). But since that requires putting in a command round start it might not be good for new players anyways.

TLDR: yeah give them utility belts
While I think a janitor buff would be good, what would also be really good is a janitor borg buff. Civ borgs dont have cleaner sprays and the spray bottle regens so little and so slow youre barely going to use it.
Maybe a janitor specific belt that only holds janitor stuff so that way not everyone has a free utility belt
Wouldn't this be a nonissue if the number of Janitor slots scaled with the number of players? That would seem more logical to me than giving the Janitor even more different tools.
Scaling slots is good for sure, but there are some little qol things a janitor could have as well. Other than security is there any other role that does more wandering of the station with as much stuff on them to do their role as the humble janitor? Sure you can literally get by with just a sponge, but it is inefficient. To do your job at the minimum efficiency you need a sponge, mop, and I would posit a vacuum. Whats that you say you have a broken light and no borgs guess who has to change it because mechcomp is too busy building their honk machine. Bodies stinking up the halls post monkey purge because no one wants to throw the body in the reclaimer guess who has to get the body bags. Lets not forget a bible fart ain't nobody got time for cleaning that tile by tile so cleaner grenade and trash bags. Oh then lets get into things like people breaking microwaves, not a stretch to also have the tools to fix that plus a crowbar.
If you only have a backpack you quickly run out of room. You may say but you don't need all those things with you. But you don't have to chance the deadly back tunnels to go to your various offices, filled with changelings, vampires, greytiders, and worst of all unfunny clowns. By the time you get back to your department hub you will find it broken into almost inevitably with your cleaner grenades all gone, your locker missing, and worst of all no body bags to clean up the dead antags you left in your wake to get here. All I'm asking for is a utility belt.
(01-11-2022, 02:10 PM)DioChasek Wrote: If my mop could go in the mop bucket I would use the mop bucket, as it is most of the time it is easier to just go to a sink and wet your mop there instead of struggling to drag that clumsy thing around.

What I do is take the smaller handheld bucket. Carries a decent amount of water, can be carried in a bag, and will work with the mop.

Other bit of advice, the mop can hold 2 puddles of water at a time. If you mop, then dry with the mop, you retain any lost water. So really, it's never an issue as long as you're smart with your water usage.

Really though, I think the mop and trash cart oughta be combined. Most real janitor carts have that ability to hold a mop and bucket, signs, and have a trash bag.

[Image: 603574BLX.jpg?t=1634531495274]

Being able to lug around a cart that you could toss trash bags into, pull signs cleaner from, or dunk your mop into would go a long way in making it worthwhile to move around
(01-12-2022, 08:15 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 02:10 PM)DioChasek Wrote: If my mop could go in the mop bucket I would use the mop bucket, as it is most of the time it is easier to just go to a sink and wet your mop there instead of struggling to drag that clumsy thing around.

What I do is take the smaller handheld bucket. Carries a decent amount of water, can be carried in a bag, and will work with the mop.

Other bit of advice, the mop can hold 2 puddles of water at a time. If you mop, then dry with the mop, you retain any lost water. So really, it's never an issue as long as you're smart with your water usage.

Really though, I think the mop and trash cart oughta be combined. Most real janitor carts have that ability to hold a mop and bucket, signs, and have a trash bag.

[Image: 603574BLX.jpg?t=1634531495274]

Being able to lug around a cart that you could toss trash bags into, pull signs cleaner from, or dunk your mop into would go a long way in making it worthwhile to move around

This would be GREAT space bear
I have kinda always wanted an actual janitors cart for all my mop and bucket and signs. Only thing Id not like is that it would take away the legacy funny of people running off with the janitors bucket or it getting pushed around or getting in the way. I suppose the cart would also get in the way and could be yoinked too.