Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making food useful: Glucose
Giving the direction medical has gone, which less about healing and more about restarting peoples hearts/putting on limbs/eventually blood transfusions and dealing with 3rd degree burns+organ failure and illness, here's an idea to make food useful

Glucose
Glucose is a chemical. It can't be made via chemistry, but is present in all foods in varying quantities, the better the food, the higher the glucose.
Glucose breaks down very slowly in your system similar to some poisons. It has the following effects:
1) It heals brute/burn/suffocation damage, very slowly. Useful if your not in an emergency. Unlike food where you cant heal if you are in yellow, this change would go as far as deep orange, otherwise it won't take effect.
2) The time of which it breaks down in the body can be sped up through various processes. Resting will speed it up, but only while resting. Working out will permanently speed it up, so if you are buff, glucose is going to break down much faster and be far more beneficial to you. This is ss13 metabolism.
3) It defends the body against illness (when pathology is introduced). The more glucose in your system the less likely you are to get stuff like space flu.
4) It acts as a sponge to various intoxicants similar to anti-hol. It reduces the amount of alcohol in your system (not as well as anti-hol), cannabis, acid, crank, etc.
Seems sensible, but give it negative side-effects: Diabetes, etc.
Xenonia Wrote:Seems sensible, but give it negative side-effects: Diabetes, etc.
Makes diabetes exist as an ailment, and insulin (already exists) treat it? Sure, but maybe call it space diabetes because IRL diabetes is pretty permanent.
Also, obesity.

Slightly off-topic, but I also think some medicines should have a negative effect.
Syptic powder should knock someone out if they don't take painkillers beforehand, and silver sulfadine should slow people down marginally as it's drying in.
I'm pretty sure diabetes already exists. Plus glucose is a form of sugar and we already have sugar, which is used to make saline-glucose solution...
Embolism Wrote:I'm pretty sure diabetes already exists. Plus glucose is a form of sugar and we already have sugar, which is used to make saline-glucose solution...

All sugar does is give you that awful overdose.
This is completely different.
Sugar gives you a mild speed increase and a semi-noticeable stun reduction effect, as does coffee and nicotine.
Cogwerks Wrote:Sugar gives you a mild speed increase and a semi-noticeable stun reduction effect, as does coffee and nicotine.

I forgot about those mild effects with sugar, I knew about coffee and nicotine mind you. That said most people would choose the bottled variety of speed/stun resistance.

If people want to differentiate between Sugar and the proposed Glucose, you could rename Glucose as ATP, as most of the stuff (promotion of healing, metabolism, and auto-immunity) ATP would be required for it.
But ATP is an enzyme, not a chemical. Then again, chocolate isn't a chemical, nor is blood.
Sundance Wrote:you could rename Glucose as ATP... But ATP is an enzyme, not a chemical.

lol sorry but no ATP is most definitely not an enzyme, its a high energy molecule. cool idea though, maybe it could be linked in with pre-existing sugar rather than make an entirely new chemical.
Oddball Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:you could rename Glucose as ATP... But ATP is an enzyme, not a chemical.

lol sorry but no ATP is most definitely not an enzyme, its a high energy molecule. cool idea though, maybe it could be linked in with pre-existing sugar rather than make an entirely new chemical.

Gah, I meant to say Co-enzyme embarrasment

Yeah, but not all food breaks down to purely "Sugar", and sugar breaks down to glucose.
So perhaps rename sugar as Glucose?
ss13: #1 krebs cycle simulator
unrelated but

please make HFCS (and VHFCS) addictive chemicals that cause obesity

tia