Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
[CLOSED PR] Jailbirds now start in brig
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[BALANCE][INPUT][WIP]

About the PR
Starts Jailbird's in the brig with a orange jumpsuit and Incarcerated status.
Changed to background trait to not conflict with Stowaway, Pilot.
Tested and does not conflict with Wizard and Nuclear Operative start.

- [ ] Decide what to do about mechanic tools.
- [ ] Decide what to do about captain.
- [ ] Decide how to handle late joins.
- [ ] Decide if any antag spawns would be an issue.
- [ ] Update trait icon to match Background.

Why's this needed?
Jailbird was often used for trolling sec with Arrest status.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Flappybat
(*)Jailbird trait now starts you in the brig with an orange jumpsuit.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Might be fun! Might be really bad on classic if new secoffs immediately start harassing them, but I think the rp potential here might be cool!
Over all I like the idea, but one thing that should be in place is the timer for the brig cell should be set if there is a jail bird at round start.
also, would this effect late joiners?
I think there are a few people that might really enjoy this trait change, there are a lot or rounds where someone just wants to stay in the brig as a gimmick, what if there are no sec officers online though? Do they just stay there until one joins and sees them or the AI helps them out?

I think this entire gimmick would work better as a job though, no worries about access or roundstart equipment then.
Ambivalent on this. Putting people who already intend/plan to mess with sec, in direct close proximity AND in a group at the start?

They are 100% going to shout shitsec/start breaking out while waiting for the officers who are busy getting their stuff.
Yeah but at that point they're at the mercy of security
Perhaps it should be separated into two traits: "On The Run", which would essentially be the current Jailbird, where an individual starts the round set on arrest for some rather amusing crimes, and then the new "Jailbird", where they start in the brig, and are set on incarcerated, as suggested. I would also say that those who start in the brig should be in ziptie handcuffs, as to prevent mechanics from immediately breaking out, and the trait removing itself from the player for Captain and Security roles. As for those who latejoin with Jailbird, I think the trait should be replaced with On The Run.

Of course, none of this fixes Jailbird being used to annoy Security, which is what the PR was meant to fix.
if someone rolled traitor and started in sec they could wipe sec out and their disks in under a minute with a spes before sec even had their gear.
I like Moriarty's suggestion

The new Jailbird should have you not as any given role (thus not eating a slot), you can only be a conspirator/hardmode traitor if you roll antag, and you naturally don't actually have anything save for maybe an ID and some random prisoner trinket (harmonica, for example).
Already effectively exists in the trait that puts you in a random locker, and it can be comboed with jailbird. It won't put you in security every game, but it has a chance to put you in there already.

There isn't unlocked lockers *inside* any of the brigs, though. I think that makes the trait unable to put you specifically in there because id-lockable lockers are blacklisted (hence no armory spawns), but you can definitely spawn just outside the brig on most maps. Usually in the contraband or pod supply lockers.

Froggit_Dogget
if someone rolled traitor and started in sec they could wipe sec out and their disks in under a minute with a spes before sec even had their gear.

Technically possible with the traits already in the game, but most of the times antags spawn in security they're either strip-searched and thrown out immediately if officers are there or they fill their pockets with donuts and security paperwork tools and beg the ai to let them out. Sec is vulnerable at round start, but antags are especially weak before they get a plan and gear together.
Really, I just feel like this changes the trait too much. I tend to run jailbird when I play clown, and the reason I do that is because I like the song and dance about getting interrogated about my crimes and the potential for "alternative" non-carceral punishments (such as getting swirlied. that was a good one). Additionally, I just think it's fun to be terminally afraid of secbots. You mention changing this so people don't "troll sec" with their arrest status (I don't particularly understand what this means) but I feel like the "Hey you, we need to talk to you for a bit," bit is why it's fun for me. Besides, there's loads of easy ways to get on arrest status like pissing in public. If there really is an onslaught of people hellbent on mildly inconveniencing security for a moment, this isn't gonna stop them at all.

I could totally see the merits of a prisoner gimmick job (although it would have to be implemented carefully for reasons like in this pr description) but I don't think it should replace jailbird.
(01-01-2022, 05:19 PM)cyberTripping Wrote: "troll sec" with their arrest status (I don't particularly understand what this means)

seasoned players on classic run from security wildly and go out of their way to harass them or steal new players' batons via shoves or lube. an experienced sec officer will check records and not give a shit about jailbirds, and simply laugh at them when they get cuffed

I actually dont see many people on classic pissing in public, they either dont know that this is a thing or know how to piss at all. occasionally you get one annoying guy who will read beepskys journal to be set on arrest, when I am HoS I simply tell them to ignore them and explain what they did and how to check records

Same with underage drinking, nobody on classic purposely sets themselves to be 20, though I can name one or two people who do it on rp.
(01-01-2022, 06:27 PM)Cal Wrote: seasoned players on classic run from security wildly and go out of their way to harass them or steal new players' batons via shoves or lube. an experienced sec officer will check records and not give a shit about jailbirds, and simply laugh at them when they get cuffed

That's funny. If they were taking dangerous equipment like confiscated weapons, that's out of line, but slipping an officer, smacking them with their own baton, then farting in their face until they arrest you is a classic goon joke. If your officers really need a counter to it, tell them to carry bibles.

(01-01-2022, 06:27 PM)Cal Wrote: Same with underage drinking, nobody on classic purposely sets themselves to be 20, though I can name one or two people who do it on rp.

Untrue. Farts and screams scale in pitch with age, and people are attracted to the maximum and minimum ages to get unique sounding farts.
(12-31-2021, 04:16 AM)THISISANICEGAME Wrote: I think there are a few people that might really enjoy this trait change, there are a lot or rounds where someone just wants to stay in the brig as a gimmick, what if there are no sec officers online though? Do they just stay there until one joins and sees them or the AI helps them out?

I think this entire gimmick would work better as a job though, no worries about access or roundstart equipment then.

I do actually quite like this idea, making it a job rather than a trait that makes you an actual prisoner, without a bunch of extra job-related gear. It might be an idea to allow most antag types to be this role as it would be fitting for an antag to be brigged and would create some very fun possibilities. I especially love it framed as 'well the last shift of sec officers kinda just forgot they were here and left them' so the new set have to find out what the deal is with their mystery inmate.

My very first round of SS13 was on another server as a prisoner and I remember it was actually very useful for helping learn some of the basics of the game, just getting use to the controls and what things you can interact with, without overwhelming me with a huge station all at once. It also gave me a chance to observe security a little bit and understand a little bit about how people interact and play the game. As a more experienced player now, I can say the concept still appeals to me as a fun gimmick to play from time to time, it also opens up the possibility of some kind of prison warden as a role or perhaps a unique security loadout in the same vein to allow for some fun interactions between sec and prisoners, instead of just them being left alone waiting on a timer.

In the case of no sec being online at roundstart it could simply disable the ability to get prisoner and go for the next job in line.