Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Rename Security Assistants to Junior Detectives
No other changes. They're supposed to act more like detectives anyway, doing paperwork and cracking cases rather than apprehending criminals. I feel like the name gives new players (especially ones with experience in other ss13 codebases) the wrong impression.
have you SEEN the way people play detective
(01-01-2022, 07:41 PM)Waffleloffle Wrote: have you SEEN the way people play detective

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They're Security Assistants because they are there to assist Security. A "Junior Detective" being a full member of the Security department and unable to roll antag roles would only be a more confusing state than the one that Detective is in already.
Considering the fact sec ass has more of a round lock then detective does I think detective is intended to at least be played by new players, so a junior detective doesnt really make sense.
(01-01-2022, 07:50 PM)Ikea Wrote: Considering the fact sec ass has more of a round lock then detective does I think detective is intended to at least be played by new players, so a junior detective doesnt really make sense.

Sec assistant is already a weaker detective to begin with, in terms of access. The access heirarchy in security goes HoS (in emergencies only) > Captain > All Heads > Security Officers > Detective > Security Assistants > Others

(01-01-2022, 07:50 PM)jan.antilles Wrote: They're Security Assistants because they are there to assist Security. A "Junior Detective" being a full member of the Security department and unable to roll antag roles would only be a more confusing state than the one that Detective is in already.

Detective is there to assist security, assistants are there to assist both. They are not parts of security, they are assisting security and they get the tools to minorly inconvenience people but not the fun toys like batons. These people are not trained cops, they're not even corporate security guards, they are uppity interns picked via lottery and given the chance to pretend to be a corporate security guard for a shift. Their place is at the bottom of the corporate totem pole, below the clown and bartender.

Also the detective needs an assistant. A Captain Hastings or Dr Watson for the detective to bore with monologues.
The intent of the role is to provide newer or less experienced players a way of grappling with security stuff and learning from more experienced sec players before taking on the tougher job of playing security officer itself, which is round-locked. I'd say "security assistant" is a fitting name for their purpose, and helps telegraph that it's for training thanks to parity with the other department assistants (Research Assistant, Medical Assistant, Technical Assistant).

I feel like "junior detective" would belie this purpose and give less experienced players less opportunities to learn using it, either due to them not understanding the intent of the job and not picking it, or due to others not understanding the intent of the job and filling up the slots despite not needing or being interested in the training.
I'd rather just see "Jr. Detective" as a it's own job equivalent to "Security Assistant" but for people that would rather play as the Detective than as a Security Officer.
The name Sec Ass is fine and it conveys exactly what they are, assistants to the security team. This doesn't JUST mean paperwork, you can join an officer on patrol. Patrol general access areas and take witness testimonies.

Besides if you're even half Robust you've got the elemt of surprise of people expecting Sec Asses to be pushovers.
I know junior detective late join job. Has a 25 percent chance to give you the dwarf mutation (aka the Boxcar Kids or any other child detective media) and a 25 chance to spawn you as a monkey (Ace Ventura anyone?)
I dont think a partner to detective makes sense thematically considering dect is supposed to be a noir style loose cannon instead of like sherlock holmes
A role can have a pretty wide scope. You don’t have to always play the detective in the noir route. Go out get yourself those rad Hawaiian shirts, be underage wear overalls, or a college kid with an ascot, anything to facilitate diverse takes on a role is a plus in my book.
(01-02-2022, 11:20 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I'd rather just see "Jr. Detective" as a it's own job equivalent to "Security Assistant" but for people that would rather play as the Detective than as a Security Officer.

I was thinking that calling it junior or trainee detective is ambiguous enough to fill both roles. 'Detective' can mean either a private dick like Holmes, or a detective constable in the police force.