Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
[CLOSED PR] Adds Pixel Shifting
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[Feature] [Input Wanted]
About the PR
This PR adds pixel shifting to the game! Pixel shifting is a thing that allows you to change the position of your character on the tile you're on, which is a purely visual change that doesn't affect your _actual_ position.

The default setup is holding U and moving via WASD to pixel shift.

Edit: I've changed it to a maximum of 14 pixels in any one direction, and a max of 22 pixels shifted from your original position (no total limit prior)

Why's this needed?
More ways to express yourself in RP!

[Video Example](https://imgur.com/a/1Z5K13w)

[Image: 147379160-5f40fe1a-5496-427f-837d-3909ab2294b7.png]

[Image: 147379161-4d897162-14a9-4d4f-8d51-e9f93c7f102e.png]

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Zonespace
(*)Added Pixel Shifting, to use, hold U and hold W/A/S/D.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
sounds cool but also kind of easy for robust nerds to exploit in some fashion to make it harder to click on them
(12-25-2021, 07:09 AM)TDHooligan Wrote: sounds cool but also kind of easy for robust nerds to exploit in some fashion to make it harder to click on them

How so? You're unable to move while pixel shifting, and you reset your position on moving (I am aware that going as far as possible with it is a tad too far, still playing with the numbers)
(12-25-2021, 07:34 AM)Zonespace Wrote: How so? You're unable to move while pixel shifting, and you reset your position on moving (I am aware that going as far as possible with it is a tad too far, still playing with the numbers)

the latter two points weren't mentioned in the PR, would probably be fine then should it be suitably reigned in
How's this work in conjunction with stuff like grabs or lying in a bed?
One problem with this IMO is that it makes the hitboxes for people not line up with where they actually are if you can shift a significant distance off the tile you're on. In both of the images you posted as examples for the PR I could imagine trying to shoot *past* someone doing this on a tile and hitting them when it looks like they should be safe. Especially the bottom pic, it looks as if you should be able to walk on the same tile the roboticist is on even.

I don't particularly hate the idea though I think visual position lining up to expectations for hitboxes is really important for the game reading well. You should always look like you're on the tile you're on. Might just be an issue with the distance you can go being too large though.
(12-26-2021, 08:31 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: How's this work in conjunction with stuff like grabs or lying in a bed?

I took the sane solution and blocked anyone who is stunned, paralyzed, weakened, cuffed, grabbed, buckled, or anchored from pixel shifting
(12-26-2021, 11:31 PM)Flaborized Wrote: One problem with this IMO is that it makes the hitboxes for people not line up with where they actually are if you can shift a significant distance off the tile you're on. In both of the images you posted as examples for the PR I could imagine trying to shoot *past* someone doing this on a tile and hitting them when it looks like they should be safe. Especially the bottom pic, it looks as if you should be able to walk on the same tile the roboticist is on even.

I don't particularly hate the idea though I think visual position lining up to expectations for hitboxes is really important for the game reading well. You should always look like you're on the tile you're on. Might just be an issue with the distance you can go being too large though.

Tactical dodging. 

For real this makes me think of how some FPS games have lean buttons for looking around corners. Which makes me want to see tilting at angles also be an option.
have concerns for interaction with projectiles, transformations, interaction with other offsets

moving just sets the offset back to 0,0 which is not always correct. Doesn't take into account existing mob offsets or bounds for larger sprites.
Corrected by making it take a person's pre-shift x/y when they start shifting, and will reset them to that when forced out of shifting
In addition, projectiles seem unaffected by pixel shifting in any way
(12-28-2021, 03:04 PM)Zonespace Wrote: Corrected by making it take a person's pre-shift x/y when they start shifting, and will reset them to that when forced out of shifting
In addition, projectiles seem unaffected by pixel shifting in any way

they mean, which tile the shooter would shoot at based off where theyre shifted, and in turn missing because they thought they were a tile up