Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Limb Things
Alright, let me shoot these ideas out at you really quick so you know what I'm talking about up front:

1) Get rid of the [Name] part of [Name]'s Left/Right Arm/Leg

2) Attach the fingerprint of the owner to the disembodied arm so that you can scan for the owner

3) Let robotic limbs be emaggable

Alright, so, let's be honest, if you came up to a trash bin full of random limb bits you wouldn't be able to tell the owner of that arm by sight, even with subtle skin tone clues. It also kindof bothers me that whenever i accidentally blow my arm off as a traitor miner, despite the fact i'm not wearing any ID and am an "unknown", my ARM still has my name and suddenly my identity is revealed.

So let's get rid of the names on the limbs! I think this is a good idea for the following reasons:

○ Powers up some spells/effects that cause explosions. If someone fireballs off a horde of people's limbs, they're all unlabeled right/left arms and there's a bit of confusion as to whose arm goes with whom. If you let them fingerprint scan the arms for their name, that lets people process limb reattachment reliably, but more slowly unless...

○ they get a robotic limb. This gives robotics more interaction with the crew as a whole and more to do on a round where people don't want to be borged. If you let people emag robot limbs, the limbs would be "free" from the laws of the person controlling it; they'd perform random actions, pick up/throw/drop nearby items, and possibly even try to strangle you. They would also spark occasionally to let you know something's up (and also ignite nearby flammables :B)

○ Not only that, but, barring the emagging thing, not attaching the names to a limb and automatically placing the fingerprint of the owner on it is probably an exceptionally easy thing to code and will have what i believe is a mostly positive impact on the game for little effort.
I like this.
Also robotic limbs shouldn't be able to be set to harm/strangle without being emagged.
So what if, 1 emag for limit removal and 2 emag for crazy limb whack-o-funtime?
Why not give robot limbs a buff if you are going to take away harm intent from them.

Presumably a metal arm/leg hits harder then a fleshy arm or leg.

Removing the three laws from the limb should also make them do as much damage as hitting someone with something metal, like a fire extinguisher.

A second emag could make them berserker and dangerous because it's an out of control metal arm.
How about no, we don't take harm intent away from robotic limbs? That really, really doesn't fit in with the theme of this suggestion, which was supposed to make robotic limbs both more common and more hilarious for traitors (especially traitor roboticists) to mess with.
UrsulaMejor Wrote:How about no, we don't take harm intent away from robotic limbs? That really, really doesn't fit in with the theme of this suggestion, which was supposed to make robotic limbs both more common and more hilarious for traitors (especially traitor roboticists) to mess with.

Yeah, there's a tendency in this subforum to get extremely sidetracked and ignore the OP.
"derp, what if emagging the arm causes it to turn into a propellor and gibs anyone you touch!?!"

But yeah, I agree for the most part. My only gripe would be how doctors and roboticists would actually identify the arms, would they have a finger print scanner like sec do for their pda's? Or will be some kinda stationary thing you just smack the arm of and it states the fingerprint?
I still stand by my previous suggestion for rocket arms.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=616&p=14322#p14291 crossarms
Thing is still a thing!

Also, bring back bad reactions from having a foreign arm!
UrsulaMejor Wrote:Alright, so, let's be honest, if you came up to a trash bin full of random limb bits you wouldn't be able to tell the owner of that arm by sight, even with subtle skin tone clues.
At the very least you should be able to identify your own. I could probably pick my arm out of a line-up of about a dozen.
Don't you know all Nanotrasen employees have serial code tattoos on them?
If we graft a Werewolf arm to our body, will it change during the full moon? What about Changeling or Clown arms?

This idea deserves a LOT more discussion.
Only the most wretched of employees would graft a cluwne limb onto their fellow worker.
One of the features I would like re-added is the need to cauterize the wound after a limb gets blown off.

One of my earliest games of SS13 I remember when I first started playing (Goon was my first, pretty much only server I play on mind you) was that I was out in mining, by myself. Figured it would be easier to learn how the game works experimenting out in a field. I hit a rock that started to glow, thought to myself "That can't be good" Only got 1 tile away from it before blowing up. And Lost my leg. While my leg was missing and I was bleeding out I was slowly losing health, hopping back to the mining shuttle calling for help. Then I remembered I had a welder on me and said "Fuck it, this couldn't get any worse" and I turned it one and used it on my leg, and was REALLY surprised how that fucking worked! Too bad I was already in crit but it really made me think about the game in a different way.
thing is still thing
(11-04-2013, 12:36 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: 1) Get rid of the [Name] part of [Name]'s Left/Right Arm/Leg

2) Attach the fingerprint of the owner to the disembodied arm so that you can scan for the owner

Done. Will probably add effects for getting someone else's limb attached to you later - I'm sure I already did but I guess it was removed at some point.

Re: robot limbs, I don't like the idea of restricting them to non-harm. If you can think of some cool effects that don't rely on nerfing their current default state, I'll think about it.
Would it be possible to have prosthetic limbs with secondary functions? Similar to the way the derringer snaps into your hand with the *wink emote. Miners could have a hand that turns into a drill, engineers could have one that turns into a welder, traitors could have gunhands and so on.

Clowns can do the "pull my finger" trick.