Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Limb Things
Just piping in to say that I agree with the above, and find the removal of limb names to be kinda blah. The "well, you wouldn't recognize someone's arm" kinda falls flat when trinkets have "____'s pet (thing)" -- those have even less reason to have a name then!

The stated in-game reason for "hearing" voices and knowing who people are is that you're all coworkers, though obviously that doesn't quite work for wizards and syndies.
I agree with Studenterhue and Zamujasa. I don't really see the point of removing names from limbs, as that just removes flavor and flair from the game (it's more funny because you're smacking the clown with their own arm, not just some random one). Sure, they can give away disguises, but I feel like the benefits greatly outweigh the downsides.
(06-03-2019, 02:33 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: Besides, "You don't have the ID to distinguish them" thing feels weak

The ID thing earlier was a joke. Obviously you can recognize people from their faces.

(06-03-2019, 02:33 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: As for removing names making people for likely to visit the roboticist....honestly, I haven't seen this happen because of these limb changes.

I've personally seen a LOT more robolimbs these days because people can't be arsed to go through the wreckage looking for their own arm, which was kindof the point of why I revived this suggestion: to encourage more interactions between the crew and the roboticist other than being borged.

(06-03-2019, 02:33 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: If I really wanted people to visit robotics more often, I'd make it more convenient to get a new robolimbs

it's already ridiculously convenient to get robolimbs; the surgery can be done for all four limbs in ~ 1-2m or faster. People don't get robolimbs unless they have to, generally.

(06-03-2019, 02:33 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: and worsen the effects having a limb that isn't yours

There's no reason to bother suffering through these effects when finding your own limb takes literal seconds. I also think the current effects are more than bad enough to be a proper incentive.

All said, I believe that the suggestion succeeded in achieving its primary objective; I see more people getting robolimbs because it's harder to find their own limb after an explosion. People still get their own limbs reattached when it is convenient.

(06-03-2019, 02:33 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: Plus, it indirectly removes some of the novelty of owning someone's head/butt/skull and making a headspike or buttbot/skullbot with their name on it.

I agree these three examples are issues. Those can be fixed by adding names back to heads, butts, and skulls. To paraphrase from earlier,

Someone Wrote:I'd know that butt anywhere

---

(06-03-2019, 03:24 PM)Zamujasa Wrote: The "well, you wouldn't recognize someone's arm" kinda falls flat

Keep in mind, the OP was written in 2013, almost 6 years ago. My view on the matter has shifted. My conclusion is still the same, but I no longer feel that my experience as a traitor or the realism aspect are compelling points.

(06-03-2019, 04:21 PM)Flourish Wrote: just removes flavor and flair from the game (it's more funny because you're smacking the clown with their own arm, not just some random one). Sure, they can give away disguises, but I feel like the benefits greatly outweigh the downsides.

I agree that it does remove some situations where the clown might know it's his own arm, but I think generally he will know it's his arm given the situation will usually be occurring seconds after you personally removed it from him. That said, I would argue the benefits of not having names outweighs the downsides, because I've seen first hand the impact it can have on robotics' interaction with the crew.

Just a few days ago, I and one other person had our legs blown off by a gang member tossing a buncha grenades into medbay. We couldn't sort out or limbs, so we ended up getting treads instead. Overall I think it had a pretty positive effect on both of our rounds, because having treads is cool and otherwise I don't think we would have bothered getting dragged to robotics.

Zamujasa Wrote:Is there a way to cure limb rejection? It'd be nice if there was a way to get those things to settle down, especially for the more ... uncommon limbs.

This should def be a thing, too. Maybe mutadone? That might be too easy to receive. Maybe haloperiodol?
Maybe have them fade over time as your body converts the new leg into yours
(06-03-2019, 06:48 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: The ID thing earlier was a joke. Obviously you can recognize people from their faces.

Glad it was. I honestly didn't perceive it as such (I guess the weird thinking emoticon thing was the clue?), but whatever, not a hill I wanna die over.

(06-03-2019, 06:48 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: I've personally seen a LOT more robolimbs these days because people can't be arsed to go through the wreckage looking for their own arm, which was kindof the point of why I revived this suggestion: to encourage more interactions between the crew and the roboticist other than being borged.

Again, I stand by my assertion that I really haven't seen this. In addition, I feel like there's a confirmation bias going on; you want to believe this change'll bring more people to robotics, you start seeing such things as proof and push away the times they don't. Of course, if I wanted to believe it didn't, the opposite would be occurring in my mind. I'd be willing to have a third party weigh in (and maybe concede if they say they've seen what you've said too).

(06-03-2019, 06:48 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: it's already ridiculously convenient to get robolimbs; the surgery can be done for all four limbs in ~ 1-2m or faster. People don't get robolimbs unless they have to, generally.

I apologize, I didn't explain it much, but I wasn't talking about speed. Besides, I agree that limb replacement isn't difficult or time-consuming.

Th gel idea was meant to address these two concerns/reasons people may forego robolimbs in general: no roboticist available and lack of trust in the roboticist. The gel would let you attach robolimbs with just access to a robotics manufacturer to make said gel and limb, and you'd be attaching itself and thus not have to put your trust in anybody. It also somewhat addresses the issue of people simply not being to the mood/having the willpower to make the trip, by making limb replacement/attachment require less effort, but that's not much of a concern for me.

The name change doesn't really address either of these, which I feel are much larger contributors to people not visiting the roboticist than being able to identify one's limb.

(06-03-2019, 06:48 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: There's no reason to bother suffering through these effects when finding your own limb takes literal seconds.

You could likely tell, but this is one of the reasons I'm against the change. If it's not really gonna make finding your limb any bit more difficult all that much, why have it at all? Would making it just slightly less convenient make it really make it more likely for people to just go to the roboticist? (Obviously, you think so, but I really don't for reasons being explained)

(06-03-2019, 06:48 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: I also think the current effects are more than bad enough to be a proper incentive.

Personally, I don't think the Motor Neuron Signal Enhancement-esque effect is too debilitating, but after some thought, I can see where you and others are coming from. After all, two people in this thread have already asked for ways to alleviate it, so there's definitely some people who think it's too much.

Perhaps "worsen" was the not best word choice. I'd really, and I think you'll agree with this, like it to be at least more interesting/flavorful, like if the limb also made you do random emotes, so the limb would have a bit more variety than just "tries to hurt you at every turn". I'm particularly thinking of making the limb do particular sets of emotes based on particular personalities/general behavoirs, such as making you wave more often and try to hug people one-handed or salute or pull the trigger on an imaginary gun like it was the arm of a grunt. (Probably could be its own thread.)

(06-03-2019, 06:48 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Those can be fixed by adding names back to heads, butts, and skulls.

Conceded bee . At the very least, I want these three to have the names again. I hope this is really clear so we don't bicker about it for like 20 more pages like a bunch of nerds.

(06-03-2019, 06:48 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Just a few days ago, I and one other person had our legs blown off by a gang member tossing a buncha grenades into medbay. We couldn't sort out or limbs, so we ended up getting treads instead. Overall I think it had a pretty positive effect on both of our rounds, because having treads is cool and otherwise I don't think we would have bothered getting dragged to robotics.

I don't think not being able to identify your own limbs was really the major contributing factor to this. One of you or an attending roboticist could have easily gone, "Well, we're/you're already missing some limbs and are already in Medbay, so why not treat ourselves/yourselves with some treads?", as it was previously.
Instead of a gel, give synthlimbs some love and have them easily reattachable
This could be confirmation bias again, but I feel like I'm seeing more people with the 'robotic arms' trait, since starting with light cyborg arms helps you know which ones are yours. At least it does until everyone has them. 

Though I'm not sure if the robotic limbs you start with are interchangeable with other people; if they are they probably shouldn't be. Give some guff about them being tailor made for the owner.