Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fix jailbird-security interaction
Jailbird's currently in an unhealthy spot of being a sec-baiting thing where you can just use it as an excuse to make security's day unpleasant.

lookin' for further discussion on possible changes or additional suggestions

My main issues:
   - quite a few players tend to make themselves awful to capture, a lot of robust players use it as an excuse to grief and evade security for a whole round

- jailbirds and actual criminals are virtually impossible to distinguish (Secmate arrest status)

Some possible resolutions:
   - Arrest reasons visible on SecHUD
         # Will keep jailbird relevant on RP.
         # Will dampen experienced security's response to it. This'll probably make it an easier way to bully newsec.
         # Will probably make jailbird the 'Get beat by Beepsky' trait on Main

- Change Jailbird to a different SecHUD icon/status
         # Will keep jailbird relevant on RP
         # Heightens usefulness of arrest warrants (read: makes them more likely to be followed up on)
         # Will probably make jailbird the 'Get beat by Beepsky' trait on Main

- Remove jailbird 
         # Lazy change, fun removal
         # Here because it will probably be suggested
A J would be fine tbh, it does keep it relevant on RP but not priority if there's stuff going on
Changing jailbird icon seems unintuitive, not to mention the icon would still have to look like something that would still read “arrest me” (because theyre a jailbird) thus newsec is the only one to arrest them and thus newsec stomping is easier. Honestly the lazy route seems like the best route here, because sure it can be fun, rarely, however most of the time ive seen it is unfun. And if something is overall unfun then yeah it isnt grand.
(12-21-2021, 09:22 AM)Ikea Wrote: Changing jailbird icon seems unintuitive, not to mention the icon would still have to look like something that would still read “arrest me” (because theyre a jailbird) thus newsec is the only one to arrest them and thus newsec stomping is easier. Honestly the lazy route seems like the best route here, because sure it can be fun, rarely, however most of the time ive seen it is unfun. And if something is overall unfun then yeah it isnt grand.

why is it unintuitive? it's a simple association thing. I rarely see newsec stop folks with the paroled symbol. an orange/green J would break the association that people place with the bright red exclamation mark. I think people will ask what it means and get told by experienced sec that it's something better off ignored.

Compare it to the red !, most frequently seen on top of a wizard/traitor/ling getting the snot batoned out of them.

Deleting jailbird from the game also deletes it from RP, where it's often used positively. It also deletes the interaction of being beat on by beepsky, which some people might want as a challenge and not know how to aggro him otherwise.
Personally I don't think jailbird adds anything worth having on the non-RP servers.
Jailbird as a role is youre a crimer, having an icon that just means hey this person has this trait doesnt seem like itll make sense in universe if that makes sense. Why would this trait have a seperate icon from people normally set to arrest. Generally not a fan of people using jailbird for beepsky either, not due to people using it for escaping beepsky as a challenge, just because people use being set to arrest as an excuse to destroy every securitron
if the 'arrest reason is visible on secHUD' is implemented (i think it should) it wouldn't be a bad idea to let people change someone's security notes and crime details. it would let an officer in the field mark someone as being a shithead or such, since going back to the console for something not very important is a pain. it also wouldn't make non security getting a secHUD a detriment to crew, since crime details doesn't actually affect anything.
its less an opinion on what idea to use, but more so why this would be good/fun and ideas to make it better without just adding meaningless clutter (since experienced security can easily recognize a jailbird from an actual criminal if they use comms)
Something else that could help is in the jailbird trait text is that it clarifies in bold letters that ((THIS DOES NOT MAKE YOU AN ANTAG))

New players can interpret Jailbird as a way to make yourself a criminal and start doing antag acts because of it.
People know jailbird doesn't make you antag that's not the issue, those dudes get stomped, it's experienced players using it to bait security and then stealing their baton or going WTF! ITS JUST JAILBIRD!

Also killing beepsky
imo killing beepsky as a nonantag should be against the rules

unless he's like, emagged or something
(12-21-2021, 09:37 AM)RichardGere Wrote: Personally I don't think jailbird adds anything worth having on the non-RP servers.

yeah i kind of agree, i think having the unique icon ultimately makes it ignorable on main but still there for people who want to avoid beepsky and such. nothing stopping people destroying beepsky for the baton on main anyway. easier to maintain if it's the same on rp and main too
(12-21-2021, 09:37 AM)RichardGere Wrote: Personally I don't think jailbird adds anything worth having on the non-RP servers.

yes
The jailbird trait has always struck me as a free excuse to destroy beepskies or pointlessly waste security's time.

It also has zero impact after people check the arrest reason, because most will remove it for being a nuisance or ignore it altogether.
I'll be honest it doesn't even bring that much to RP, it gets very stale after a while. Same thing goes for underage drinking, both are minor annoyances that very quickly build up over time.
When I run jailbird on rp I tend to make it fun. Usually run it with MOPSY the clown I have written up notes from Clown Command suggesting possible public service to assign him, punishments including ten swirlies, have waited until I was pretty sure Beepsky was right around the corner and gotten arrested immediately saying “ah Beepsky right on time”, and even had a round where I spent half an hour in jail living the true jailbird experience.
TLDR like with most rp decisions you get out what you put in.