Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some ideas about forensics / investigations
I've been hearing about changes to forensics for quite sometime now but want to throw a few ideas out there. Investigating a crime scene can be fun but a lot of time doesn't actually lead to any real information gained. Too many gloves, victim was unable to fight back and leave blood of the attacker, no way to tell how the person was killed with certainty, it leaves a lot of information to be filled in randomly by the investigator.

What you would do is gather finger prints, glove fibers, blood samples and take photographs then feed them into a special crime computer. These pieces of evidence would be linked together that fill out a profile for each player on the station.

Non-gloved fingerprints should be able to identify a person instantly. It's assumed Nanotrasen has at the least done a fingerprint scan of everyone on-board while hiring them. Maybe changelings, vampires, syndicate etc will show up as "Unknown" when their prints are ran through the computer.

Glove fibers would leave partial prints something like (XXXX3nXXXXiX5d) which would be placed into an "unknown prints" database on the crime computer. As these partial prints gather up over time someone could begin matching them together using an interface similar to genetics and discovering who was actually at the scene. This would also make it so gloves don't hide you forever. The more active you are the more partial prints that can be pieced together to rat you out. Make latex gloves leave the least amount of evidence but shred to pieces when taking an aggressive action against someone.

As for photographs I think they should be able to be analyzed by the crime computer when fed into it. This could scan the photograph for blood on the ground or person and provide DNA information, clothing fibers in-case they changed into a new uniform to hide, gunpowder dust from using a revolver / shotgun / chemistry, pretty much anything that could help you piece together a history on the person. To run the analysis the user should have to find words in one of those wordsearch puzzles. Maybe the words could be items in the picture or the suspects name. As they keep scanning for more detailed information the puzzle should increase in size and difficulty. Or maybe photographs can have a quality modifier like botany produce. Better quality pictures give more detailed information. Add a photobooth to the interrogation room so security can take easy shots of suspects.

As this information is analyze and attached to each players profile you'll be able to read and see where their prints were found, whose blood they were bathed in, what chemicals they had recently been around, where and when Beepsky last arrested them and various other things. It would help build a case against possible traitors and give a reason for stealthy traitors to hone their skills even more.

I really just want to see investigation and forensics be something that is actually used more often with results, to give the detective and security a bit more to do. Perhaps this would even give lawyers something to work with or open up a new forensics job to complement security.
this idea is great.
We seriously need an overhaul, and something similar to this idea would be perfect. I've tried so many times to give the detective a job, and half the time he/she can't do anything. Also, Lawyers are really fucking important imo.
Some investigating that would actually be useful would be some way for the detective to use his tools to find where a body might have been dragged off to.
So maybe use some powder or spray or scanner to see drag marks on the ground which may lead to where the body is stashed.
That way when Joe screams over the radio that Bob is his killer, the detective still has some work to do.
Kaet Wrote:Some investigating that would actually be useful would be some way for the detective to use his tools to find where a body might have been dragged off to.
So maybe use some powder or spray or scanner to see drag marks on the ground which may lead to where the body is stashed.
That way when Joe screams over the radio that Bob is his killer, the detective still has some work to do.

If the body is bloody enough, maybe it could just leave blood trails like the ones that are pre-drawn on some derelicts and/or telesci areas (I forget which). Same thing if you drag yourself around while spurting blood from your stumps after Chemistry "accidents".

No, I wouldn't use this to sign my name across the chapel in assistant blood why do you ask?
I kinda like the idea of a detective super computer.

For a cool thing it could do, perhaps changelings could leave a small hair sample, of the last known identity they had when they absorbed the person. (this means that the changeling will have to absorb multiple people, destroy bodies, or change identities often if a husk is found)

It would take a while for the detective computer to process, but it would allow security to get a leap on changelings a bit faster and make the detective a bit more useful for more then just the gun.

The hair sample wouldn't be complete, and would require a scan through every entry in the database for limiting the number of suspects which would give the changeling time to get a new identity if they knew detective was on to them, or even set a trap and absorb the detective to send everyone on a goose chase by faking results.

Basically make Husks a bit more valuable than just "hey everyone a changeling was on the station", while still giving changelings some room to absorb dudes.