Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Station self destruct
All heads get 1 key, kill every head and insert every key, start the 3 minute self destruct timer. Blows up the station the way a can bomb would

space bear bUT wat iF thEres ONLy 2 hEaDs space bear

prob too low of a pop to make it fun anyway, not enough keys to blow up the station that round

Also farting on someone on the ground with phlog dust in their system should gib them
Honestly, too easy to kill all the heads and take keys for this and too short a timer especially if you can't stop it, I have a feeling heads would also just ditch the keys due to inventory space.
Not a non antag use for this either, seems weird to give all heads something that they only should use if theyre an antag.
The only non antag use I can see is to deny blobs or nukies the satisfaction of devouring/blowing up the station as a sort of moral victory. shrugs Maybe instead of self destruct it is a self de-smug that will send the the crew smarmy messages if the heads determine that the crew/antags are the worst.
(12-17-2021, 07:40 PM)DioChasek Wrote: The only non antag use I can see is to deny blobs or nukies the satisfaction of devouring/blowing up the station as a sort of moral victory. shrugs Maybe instead of self destruct it is a self de-smug that will send the the crew smarmy messages if the heads determine that the crew/antags are the worst.

This would still be self antagging, ive heard of a person getting banned for nuking (as in detonating a nuclear charge) the nukies
Yeah it’s definitely in a grey area which as a potential game mechanic is something you never want. The smarmy message keys though that is fun.
(12-17-2021, 07:40 PM)DioChasek Wrote: The only non antag use I can see is to deny blobs or nukies the satisfaction of devouring/blowing up the station as a sort of moral victory. shrugs Maybe instead of self destruct it is a self de-smug that will send the the crew smarmy messages if the heads determine that the crew/antags are the worst.

Outside of the gameplay and lore elements it'd just be silly to blow up the station to avoid.... people blowing it up. I mean you're just giving the syndies a free win at that point, the station blew up with a more powerful explosive and NT looks like a bunch of clowns.
It could work but probably if there was a gametype that justified it. Maybe something like how the OLD nuke mod used to be - you know, GEDDAT FUKKIN DISK.
Like a game mode 'hijack' or 'heist' or something. The nukie equivalent antag team - in all ways identical to nukies just without a nuke - have to get to the bridge computer or the AI mainframe or something in order to steal some sort of nanotrasen secrets or upload a program to hijack the station. This, like the nuke, has a countdown as they have to upload a virus/download the files. The captain and HOS or whatever can try and trigger a self-destruct to prevent it. So it might work out almost like a reverse nuke round, with the crew trying to defend the self destruct mechanism/computer while the nukies try to disarm it.
To expand on Filthy Steve's concept of having an actual reason to use something like this, I could see it's application specifically on blobs if we wanted to change the win condition from expanding to 500 tiles to forcing evacuation and preventing the station self-destruct.

The charge would have to be located in the same place every round, be unmovable and only be able to be triggered by a special shuttle call command that sets a timer to detonate after the shuttle leaves.

Downsides I can pretty much guarantee would be even more incentivizing of immediate shuttle calls on blob rounds and people engaging in the compelling gameplay of building lots of reinforced walls around the charge before calling.

Outside of that concept, which I managed to completely talk myself out of thinking might be fun... a station self-destruct really does just end up being a mechanic that is only useful to antagonists but also just pushes command antags even farther up the power curve than they already are. It's also a single round ending action with little fun gameplay for most of the crew that probably end up being excessively trivial to pull off.

And that's without even going into the massive self-antag potential if it's use isn't somehow locked behind a purchasable traitor item, which then begs the question of explaining why exactly Nanotrasen would have something that works that way in the first place.
There's already a secret nuclear charge near the station that needs the captain's nuclear authentication disk, some exploration and a lot of knowhow about packet hacking to activate. It's effectively the same thing as this suggestion. Blowing up the station should require expertise and time investment to keep it rare and impactful.
(12-20-2021, 11:29 AM)Deadvickyart Wrote: There's already a secret nuclear charge near the station that needs the captain's nuclear authentication disk, some exploration and a lot of knowhow about packet hacking to activate. It's effectively the same thing as this suggestion. Blowing up the station should require expertise and time investment to keep it rare and impactful.

There is, and I was avoiding bringing that up as it's somewhat secret content.  

But if you want to blow up the station, that's one way to do it.
Having played on stations that have a self-destruct terminal, I feel a bit "eh" about this, I don't really see a need. The uses for it in a normal round go as follows:
- The captain can request nuke codes from centcomm (admins) to use, they very rarely ever get accepted, nevermind used.
- If nuclear operatives lose their bomb, they can use the nuclear charge instead.
- Lone Operatives are required to use the nuclear charge, after securing the disk.
- Traitors can have an objective to steal the plutonium core from inside the bomb, disabling it from use for the round

The only one that semi-consistently happens out of those is the traitor theft one, which does *pretty much* the opposite of what the nuclear charge is meant to do.