Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Tracking Implant - Remove Teleportation Target
Yeah, there has been quite a bit of discussion on why timer bars on implanters is a godawful idea.

Personally I feel it would just further widen the skill gap between experienced players vs new players - new players are going to find it more difficult to use implanters if they need to think about stuns/timers
I'm mostly just confused about how "this one feature of this one sparingly used implant is kinda unfun to deal with" turned into "what if we rebalanced an entire group of items in one sweep" which doesnt actually solve the original problem because... yknow. If you're getting tracker implanted by sec for being a crimer you're probably incarcerated already, or otherwise had sec so close to you that you might as well have been, so the timer bar isnt actually going to do anything to solve it.
if someone manages to implant you then they had more then enough time and situation to stun and kill you instead.
(12-16-2021, 11:09 PM)Froggit_Dogget Wrote: if someone manages to implant you then they had more then enough time and situation to stun and kill you instead.

It's primarily an issue for wizards and vampires. Wizards can jump away from batons or immediately stun people nearby after the first hit so they don't get downed and vampires can cancel stuns - both of their escape mechanics are ignored by the implant.

I'm genuinely confused why people would want to keep this in the game, can anyone explain why teleporting to tracking implants is a positive thing for the game that should be kept in? It seems to exclusively exist to allow the "only plays to click people sideways" playstyle to enjoy using, since any antag who is implanted and released will just cut it out - it's currently only useful for cheesing easy kills on KoS antags or newer players who don't know they can be teleported to with it, both of which are pretty uncool things to do.
Back when I played, they were mostly used for telesci expeditions (hence being found in telesci). You could easily teleport to people with tracking implants in them regardless of wherever they were in the adventure zones, which made for some useful shortcuts and last minute rescues. Also a good way to get borgs to areas they couldn’t get to, before the portasci was a thing.
Do fuel tanks still explode when pushed through a portal?  I remember being surrounded by constant explosions and taking forever to figure out why.
(12-17-2021, 04:46 AM)Mouse Wrote: Do fuel tanks still explode when pushed through a portal?  I remember being surrounded by constant explosions and taking forever to figure out why.

only if sent through the command tele itself. hand tele portal wont ignite it
(12-16-2021, 10:37 PM)cyberTripping Wrote: I'm mostly just confused about how "this one feature of this one sparingly used implant is kinda unfun to deal with" turned into "what if we rebalanced an entire group of items in one sweep" which doesnt actually solve the original problem because... yknow. If you're getting tracker implanted by sec for being a crimer you're probably incarcerated already, or otherwise had sec so close to you that you might as well have been, so the timer bar isnt actually going to do anything to solve it.

From the sounds of things its being used not on incarcerated people but just clicking on people once to be able to teleport onto them later at any moment with baton on hand and no warning to the person who had 2 sec offs teleported ontop of them. Requiring you to be stunned to implant would kill a lot of this playstyle as if youre stunned you basically already lost the fight (unlike the current way it is where you merely clicking them once and implanting them then running away is the fight).
Well, regardless, I do not believe the correct measure would be to overhaul the way an entire class of items work in order to deal with a problem with one specific item of that class. The easiest solution would be to specifically target the problem and remove or limit the actual offending feature in some way. Maybe getting a good enough bead on the implant to teleport to it stresses the delicate, microscopic circuitry, and doing it too many times in a medium timespan runs the risk of totally shorting the implant out, permanently rendering it useless.

This would preserve most of the utility for azoning or whatever else, while making it so that rapidly teleporting over and over (as described in the OP) would completely fry the implant almost immediately and save the victim the trouble of having to remove it themselves.
(12-17-2021, 08:06 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: Well, regardless, I do not believe the correct measure would be to overhaul the way an entire class of items work in order to deal with a problem with one specific item of that class. The easiest solution would be to specifically target the problem and remove or limit the actual offending feature in some way. Maybe getting a good enough bead on the implant to teleport to it stresses the delicate, microscopic circuitry, and doing it too many times in a medium timespan runs the risk of totally shorting the implant out, permanently rendering it useless.

This would preserve most of the utility for azoning or whatever else, while making it so that rapidly teleporting over and over (as described in the OP) would completely fry the implant almost immediately and save the victim the trouble of having to remove it themselves.

I'd be fine with this. Being teleported to by a group of sec officers is difficult for any antag to manage but it's possible, the repeat teleports are what make it so unpleasant to deal with.
if secoffs were teleporting to me id to get fire resistance and stand in the burn chamber or something
(12-17-2021, 09:19 AM)Cal Wrote: if secoffs were teleporting to me id to get fire resistance and stand in the burn chamber or something
ong bro trap em lmao