Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Radio Show Host Traitor Weapons
Hey folks - I was told from the Discord that I should post on here for greater visibility

These are some ideas for T-Items that the Radio Show Host and Comms. Officer could buy since I was surprised they had none:

Record Flayer - This weapon has two uses based on intent.
Harm and Help use a buzzsaw like melee attack that deals brute, makes a mess, and can rarely remove limbs.
Disarm and Grab use a medium ranged attack that deals brute.
The Record Flayer must be loaded with any Record.
The more times a Record has been played over the Radio this round, the more damage that particular record will do.
When a record is shot in the ranged mode it has a chance to shatter and become useless if it hits a hard surface (like a wall or Borg).

Pinpoint Frequency Jammer - This item acts similar to a Solar Flare, however it has several notable differences.
It only affects one channel (that you pick). Custom channels cannot be picked.
You cannot use the same channel twice in a row.
When your channel is affected by this, you can see your outgoing messages, but not your incoming ones on that channel.

Mix Tape - This mix is literally fire, yo; playing this in the Tape Deck will play a random Tape's audio file. When the tape finishes, any radio headsets (worn or otherwise) have a chance (possibly scaled with player count), to cause the tile they are on, to catch fire.

Vocal Transmogrifyer - Looks identical to your default Headset, but when examined says "Has a strange looking microphone attached." When activated, this lets you select from all players on the starting manifest. For a short time, you can speak on any frequency using that person's name and respective radio icon. The person you select will be unable to see these messages.

Boom Box - Looks like an ordinary cardboard box. When opened will cause a deafaning/disorenting effect on anyone within range.
The boombox was originally gonna look like a stereo, but i dont think SS13 has those so...

Anyway these were more just musings from a car-ride home from work, but I'd love to see the Talk Show Host get some unique items given their spin of having total comms access.
We should have boomboxes as even non-antag items so I can stand outside the RD's office playing love songs to Heisenbee.
I'd like to see something specific to radio hosting as well so that you could run a talk show at the same time.

Maybe something like a remote mindslave that works through headsets, kind of like the sleeper syndicate thing. Makes the selected player a kind of mindslave, but only to the point where they feel compelled to come to the radio station and stay for an interview, with a 10-15 minutes lasting time? Like they would not be mindslaved to the radio host, but to the idea of going to be interviewed. Perhaps even have it be a multi use, 2-3 times so you could run a legit talk show for a round. Though of course it could be risky since who knows how ornery former interviewees would be once the spell wears off.

Another one would be some kind of upgrade for the radio station phone that could handle multiple callers on line at the same time and maybe even have it be an autodialer which constantly tries to call a random phone on station for like a minute or so and selecting a new one to be called if it's not picked up. If it is picked up it'll just select a new one to call and try to get more people on the line.

A special TV could also be interesting that could let you observe people like the AI so that the view would always follow them if cameras are around. Maybe even make it so that it "hacks" their headset so that you can always hear through their headset even if they're not talking through the radio. Narrate people's adventures on station etc.

As for something that could be cool outside the radio station, but still play into the role of talk show host would be a special microphone that transmits with the same color and range as the radio station intercom. Basically a mobile version of the radio station intercom, picks up all speech in range, maybe even have it enlarge the font a bit that's broadcast. Hit the beat and go find your stories, gonzo journalism style. Maybe even have it be a nod to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, have the microphone come in a suitcase with a random assortment of drugs and a hawaii shirt and the hat. (This could also double as a special antag item for the Journalist of course.)

Now these are all more of added flavor to the talk show host with little to no actual harmful antag sides, but I feel like they could spice up a round nicely either way as a traitor talk show host.
Give them a soundboard that lets them remotely wreak havoc on the station from the radio station.
Play a brown note over the radio and anyone hearing it farts.
Play a high pitched note over the radio and anyone hearing it gets stunned and glass near them shatters.
Etc.

EDIT: Instead of a mindslave implant, a radio track that works like a (maybe temporary like the mindslave implant) sleeper agent radio broadcast.

Could be like they just get a collection of randomly determined traitor records to play. So some rounds they get brown note and high note, some they get brown note and numbers channel.