Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
[CLOSED PR] Regular lube slides instead of throwing
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR

https://user-images.githubusercontent.co...1ddba5.mp4

Currently regular lube throws you and the organic superlubricant also throws you but deals brute damage to you on top of that.
This PR proposes a change that makes regular space lube slide you in the direction you are moving and removing the brute damage from the organic superlubricant. The invisible lube contained in the Slip-n-Sign janitor traitor item retains its damage.

Why's this needed?
Honestly I just thought that way to make people slide like this could be lead to more interesting interactions than the current lube. Also regular space lube and organic superlubricant are currently too similar, this would make a neat distinction between them imo. But also I'm genuinely not certain if this is a good change or not so please let me know what you think.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)pali
(*)Space lube now gently slides people instead of straight up throwing them. Organic superlubricant now no longer deals additional damage on top of the one dealt by the lube-slip-throw.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Judging from the video, it looks pretty fun to me!
Even regular space lube is already pretty antaggy, and proper antags would probably rather use harmlube anyway, so this seems like a good change to me.
This looks like it could be potentially hilarious for catching people now. Love it.
I like the sliding but I think lube should hurt you but only when you hit something while sliding at a certain amount of tiles slid or something. I mean you are still sliding wildly. You are going to get hurt.
It looks really fun but spacelube is kind of meant to be annoying.

Just look at it from a clowns perspective, your happily running from a small army of sec officers with their batons out. You splash some lube behind you and suddenly all the officers are accelerated catching up to you batons out and ready.

Its no longer a tool to catch out someone chasing you, its now something you would splash ahead of yourself to catch up to someone.

I think this should be a 'stable lube' or something - a variant you can create. Or atleast make sliding into a vending machines still work and cause people to drop held items. Also glass tables need to still be dangerous.

What happens if you enter a cloud of it when already slipped? Like if a mech grav component or staffy yeeted you? What happens if you slip into space? Do you correctly get yeeted? Can you fill a flamer with the stuff and like paint a path ahead of you all the way across horizon? What happens if you drink it?

I already want to build a newlube skating arena but it needs some downsides to replace currentlube.
Clown security is a go. Repeat clown security is a go.
(11-29-2021, 09:17 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: I like the sliding but I think lube should hurt you but only when you hit something while sliding at a certain amount of tiles slid or something. I mean you are still sliding wildly. You are going to get hurt.

Or trying to fight the direction of the slide causes a slip or something
(11-29-2021, 09:53 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(11-29-2021, 09:17 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: I like the sliding but I think lube should hurt you but only when you hit something while sliding at a certain amount of tiles slid or something. I mean you are still sliding wildly. You are going to get hurt.

I like this. It still allows for the "oil spill hazard" strategy by deploying it at sharp corners, slowing down pursuers even if they dont fall, while also allowing you to use it for the generally harmless use of going very fast in a straight line like it does in the PR currently.

I suppose it's not that difficult for most people using lube to make a pit stop at the clown hole for some helium, so it's not a huge loss if slipping is relegated to superlube, but the idea of adding more strategy and mind games to lube placement by slipping on turns is very interesting to me.
Does this affect the lube created by cleaner bots? They are weak enough as is.
I think this is a great direction to go with it. I do agree it needs a little more negatives though. Hitting an object doing damage or falling on resist are both great ideas, but I have no idea how hard they'd be to add
(11-29-2021, 09:53 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:

The whole slamming against things would make my next suggestion Im trying to come up with easier.
The idea is to make it so spacelube is less griefy and reserve the more clear-cut grief use for harmlube.
Question, would this make space lubing relatively not self-antaggy?
It'd make it less self-antaggy in my mind but if someone started stuff then ran around spraying hundreds of units of lube and frustrating the crew, that'd still be pretty self-antaggy.
Does this prevent you from changing directions (under your own power) while "slipping"? Like pokemon ice-sliding?