Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One-time Antag Objective Re-Roll Button
Let's face it, when you get a hijack objective on an 8 person round it's kind of a bummer. You know you'll succeed if you just start blasting, so unless you comply to the greentext Gods you'll have to live with that harsh red text "the traitor has failed" and feel sad :'(

This game is incredibly versatile in playstyles, and the antag objectives are mostly treated as "suggestions". Nevertheless I still think it feels good to get green and it's a completely valid playstyle for greentext crowd to exist and care about their own objectives, even if everyone else kinda doesn't give a shit.

So I suggest a one-time re-roll of your objectives, with the re-roll guaranteed to not give you the same objectives you had. Meaning, if you got:

Assassinate Ben Buster, the Roboticist.
Kill Stir Stir.
Hijack and escape alone.

On a reroll, you're guaranteed to not get an assassination objective in slot 1, killing stir stir in slot 2, and hijacking in the final objective. Remaining possibilities for the final objective are now "escape alive", "remain alive anywhere", or "die a glorious death".

Perhaps there should also be a way to reroll more than once - but that should have a cost. For traitors, it could be TC - So spend 1 TC to reroll a third time, a fourth time, etc. Actually who is paid reroll for really? The first kind of player to care about objectives the most is someone who's new, so it's a massive noob trap when objectives inherently have no "reward" attached anyway, making the reroll a scam.

Additionally, maybe you should only be able to re-roll your objective in the first 10 minutes since obtaining antag (it should NOT rely on round start time due to late-joining antags!) - this way, you have wiggle room to re-roll but you can't get greedy and reroll your objectives like 1 hour into the round. But this is up for debate if it's even necessary - does it really break anything to let the antag reroll their objectives? You'll have less time to complete your new objectives, after all, meaning it's a risk if you get an especially difficult objective on a reroll and the shuttle is already on its way.
In principle that doesn't sound very problematic, I'd just be worried that that feature being a thing may make people give more weight to objectives than they should - they are suggestions after all, and not following them and doing something else instead will often lead to a more fun round, I think.
(11-26-2021, 11:20 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: In principle that doesn't sound very problematic, I'd just be worried that that feature being a thing may make people give more weight to objectives than they should - they are suggestions after all, and not following them and doing something else instead will often lead to a more fun round, I think.

then remove greentexting lol. Or let me greentext in my own way!
If they're suggestions then why am I being graded for them? Even if the grade itself is meaningless it still occurs by design.
we should remove objectives entirely imo
if you think objectives are worthless consider that they aren't for everyone - but for someone with no idea of what a traitor can/should do, they give a good direction. there's a reason they were coded up in the first place.
(11-27-2021, 02:49 PM)TDHooligan Wrote: if you think objectives are worthless consider that they aren't for everyone - but for someone with no idea of what a traitor can/should do, they give a good direction. there's a reason they were coded up in the first place.

I agree. I don't think removing objectives is a smart idea, neither is it to remove fail conditions from said objectives. Even if Goon does not enforce the objectives as per rules it's still a play style choice to follow those objectives and care about being graded by the game, and I think it is a very valid play style with massive room for player expression regardless of what objectives you get - you're not told _how_ to complete those objectives after all.
The objectives are great for new players (miscreants aside that is; those honestly need a pass to put them in a better place so new people don't think it gives them carte blanche to be raging assholes on par with real antags) but for more seasoned players they are kind of just there.
would probably have to blacklist the id tracker from being added to uplinks on a reroll or else people would constantly reroll until they can track the hos/captain/sec officer and ambush them for the loot

wait nvm im stupid