Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
[CLOSED PR] Adds the ability to combine a breathing mask with a clown/mime mask to...
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR
Adds functionality for putting a breathing mask into a mime/clown mask to act as a mask with internals. They do not start with them. Ideally will make it less restrictive to play the jobs. They still have their thematic handicaps, such as the mime cannot speak, and the clown is clumsy, etc. Honestly, this wouldn't even really affect much balance wise, would just let the players not have to spend a portion of their round just getting countermeasures to not being able to have internals. Not exactly many clowns and mimes, after all.

Why's this needed?
While this is pretty hotly debated, I think generally people would like to be able to play the roles they most enjoy without having to be so handicapped they have to spend a significant amount of time just making counter measures to survive depressurization or gas leaks/floods. I know I'm tired of having to do a niche mechanic of suiciding to get through a gas flood as a Mime.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)MomoBerry
(+)Clowns and Mimes can now combine a breathing mask with their own to create a mask with internals.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I think if you pick these suffering roles you should be forced to suffer
Why are they still roles that are based around suffering and punishment, wasn't that like based on 2014 era goon? I love playing mime and doing gimmicks, not sure why I need to be punished on top of the thematic drawbacks of playing mime.
You must suffer for your art.
I can see the argument either way, joking aside. Maybe a compromise? Have this work but have the mask be like 'leaky' so that in gameplay terms - and I have no idea if this is possible since I imagine capacity is a function of the oxygen source not the mask - that the oxygen runs out faster. Like a regular mask uses 1 unit of oxygen per tick, this uses 2 units of oxygen per tick, so it runs out faster. Also provides less resistance against airborne pathogens and stuff like plasma or knockout gas.
This is like patching hard-core mode in Diablo to not be perma when you die.

In other words,  you don't have to play clown and even when you play clown you don't have to wear the mask. These roles are self imposed challenges on your gameplay and they are supposed to be flexes.

Being able to look like you're doing a flex without actually doing the flex ruins the flex for everyone

If you really can't handle the heat,  opening up your box,  swallowing your shame,  and putting on a breath mask is only 4 clicks
(11-12-2021, 08:17 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: This is like patching hard-core mode in Diablo to not be perma when you die.

In other words,  you don't have to play clown and even when you play clown you don't have to wear the mask. These roles are self imposed challenges on your gameplay and they are supposed to be flexes.

Being able to look like you're doing a flex without actually doing the flex ruins the flex for everyone

If you really can't handle the heat,  opening up your box,  swallowing your shame,  and putting on a breath mask is only 4 clicks

I guess it's only the long term veterans that have the mindset of it being a flex, it's just obnoxious for me personally because I like the aesthetic of mime, and it's something I've played a lot on other codebases and enjoyed the RP of it. But goon makes it so playing them is their own special achievement for doing it because it's harder than what other jobs have as a default, so I can't ever have it be a simple and enjoyable round. Or I can ruin the entire RP and take off the mask, but why don't I just use custom emote to talk too, yknow?

I always gotta prepare a bunch of medicine because chances are the station is depressurized at 10 minutes and there's a gas flood that i have to literally commit suicide and heal myself out of to pass through, which is such a weird mechanic. Personally just find that its never the people playing the jobs regularly that are enforcing the haha punishment jobs, just other people.
NOOOOOOOO
Clown and Mimes have the CHOICE to play those roles and if you pick those roles you are choosing to play with a handicap.
No breath masks for Clowns or Mimes.
I think this is a good change. I have played for a pretty long time and a lot of it was spent as a clown. Nowadays playing as a clown isn't a "flex" it's what you do with the role.

The jobs aren't even harder than default compared to most others so it's not a hard mode thing the closest thing to a handicap that I can see is the clown's clumisness and slipping but that applies to a small amount of actions which can be avoided pretty easily and slipping is random chance. The mime's inability to speak isn't that bad since you can use your PDA if you really need to.

Goon has evolved a lot since the old days, clowns and mimes are a good example of it. Now they're not "pain" roles (which is a pretty dumb thing to have anyways imho) they're fun roles that allow you to do more than usual, what you do with that will change how people see you and either earn you respect or hatred depending on how good your performance/attiude towards others is. Like just look at clowns on some other servers, they're valid to everyone for just existing and that really isn't fun for new players or anyone who wants a good time but it is a "flex" role. Not being able to wear a fun looking mask because some traitor used a TTV isn't a handicap or a flex.
I agree with the clown "flex" thing. I mean the role even has a built in mechanic about with the clumsiness to enforce that. However, I've never seen the mime as the same sort of flex silliness the clown does. I'd be pro this going through just for the mime mask.
the clown is extremely funny because they naturally fuck up, its extremely funny to me to see just a regular clown floaring around space while im in a full suit.

honestly, just carry a salbutomal pill and you'll be good without air for like 5 solid minutes
It's not ruining the rp to take off your mask and put on a breath mask. That's uh... just regular rp. You know. Choosing not to play a psycho that is willing to die to preserve their clown pride. Or,  on the other hand,  choosing to do that. Like how every proper detective would rather die of asphyxiation than take their cig out of their mouth.

Clown isn't a role "meant" for new players. I'd argue that it's more closely aimed at veteran players,  because it's extremely hard for a new player to have fun being a funny clown given that they don't understand what jokes are overdone or what hijinks are possible in the mechanics of the game. Like,  it's possible,  but it's extremely difficult no matter what and it's hard to have fun as clown as a new player even disregarding the mask and clumsiness

The reason why you don't custom emote to speak normally is because I'll ban you for doing it.
Speaking as a former clown main, I always appreciated that there was a sort of honor in choosing to go down wearing your mask.

Right now there is nothing preventing a clown who wants to survive simply choosing to remove their mask and replace it with a breath mask or gasmask beyond how committed they are to keeping the mask on.

The one idea I had, in the past, was giving the clown access to some sort of jury-rigged fishbowl-and-tape diving helmet that looked appropriately ridiculous if they wanted internals and we wanted to stick to the general theme of clowns wearing silly crap. Maybe there could be a recipe for that involving the clown mask, a glass sheet and something like wire?

Alternatively, if this does go through maybe the clown nose would involuntarily honk as gas is cycled through the mask? So it is at least apparent enough when a clown does this that those who still choose to suffocate for their art stand out?
You can still refuse to remove the mask and people don't have to remove their mask more than once as a new alternative. You're still choosing to play with a handicap by selecting these roles and nothing about this pr alters your ability to perform a deathless limbless airless clown/mime shuttle run any%. Zero change to traditional playstyles, one small QoL change for everybody else.

Everybody wins.
Dunno if this is already an existing feature, but I'll pose a suggestion that I made in Discord that might be a flavorful compromise.

Allow Clowns to inhale balloons they've inflated as a consumable that heals a small amount of oxygen damage. This gives them a bit more survivability when dealing with breaches, and also encourages them to make balloons. I think this a pretty goofy idea that fits right in with Ss13.

Only Clowns would have access to this ability. If Mimes wanted the ability to inflate up balloons they should have spoken up.
Yeah simian using a balloon for air is a very clowny thing and I like it. I think it was suggested years ago too in a suggestion thread.
But yeah no one is forced to wear the mime or clown mask as a clown or mime. You'll be bullied for using a breath mask though because its against the clown/mime spirit to forgo the gimmick just to what, Live a couple more minutes? Clown lyfe aint about livin, it's about dyin in a funny way.