Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Increase Job Caps
Considering how high our server pop has been lately, I think some increased job caps on some jobs could be a good idea. Chefs, janitors, second barkeep(maybe), mechanics, maybe a second chaplain

These are all really basic jobs that are usually picked by new players due to how simple they are and introduce mechanics of the game, since were getting such a large amount of new players, I think they should be more available to choose, especially chef, barkeep, and janitor.
yea for every 5-10 staffies a janitor slot should open up
If someone does the mapping work and/or coding work to make this viable, this is something we've been wanting for a while.

For example, I moved most of the miner's equipment to their toolbelts so that I could add more slots without worrying about them running out of equipment.

Some jobs would be a bit more difficult to add on. For example, chef and bartender really have a solid "identity" as being solo roles and most maps are built with that directly in mind.
Sous chef and waiter could open up with certain population amounts?
Botany is a job that could scale pretty well but most botanies on maps are pretty small soooo
(11-09-2021, 03:13 PM)Cal Wrote: Sous chef and waiter could open up with certain population amounts?

Honestly feel like this is the way to go, where the job has a different title and set of tools, but more or less the same duties.

Security Assistants being a kind of model for this, you could have some Medical Interns for Medbay, Lab Assistants for Research, Couriers for QM, Field Hands for Botany and Ranchers etc.

I know that Staff Assistant is kinda the catch all for jobs like these, but I think it could serve a few practical purposes

1. More Training Jobs: Jobs to take to ease into a role and let other players know they have an opportunity to show someone the ropes
2. Provides a more solid framework for roleplay: Staff Assistant is open ended enough that I think some people suffer from paralysis of choice. Without any clear task, they turn to crime and greytiding
3. A Sense of progression: Do a good job as waiter and be the Chef next round? Or maybe they got murder death killed and the HoP picks you as their replacement. Promotions across the board
Staff assistant does literally nothing and is ENCOURAGED to do nothing or goof off or be shit via reputation, which has always mildly irked me.

i would really like it if there were slightly more robust tools for teaching willing players without me not being able to participate in the game sometimes, be that staff assistants in game going "I'd like to learn medical" or more training roles like security assistant

maybe im talking a lot of nothing here, just getting some thoughts down anyway.
There was a pretty cool idea a while back about HoP being able to open up more late join job positions based on what’s needed

I think if it just allowed the opening of more miners + civvie + departmental assistants it could be not abused
I'm not sure how this could be changed honestly. Staffie is so engrained culturally as the do nothing job. Maybe something in place to encourage them becoming research assistant, medical assistants etc. in round? I'm not sure what though. Maybe It'd just be a good HoP Gimmick to be announcing training roles and stuff throughout the round.

Edit: Oops was meaning to reply to Cal. The reply system is weird!
(11-17-2021, 08:20 AM)data_err0r Wrote: I'm not sure how this could be changed honestly. Staffie is so engrained culturally as the do nothing job. Maybe something in place to encourage them becoming research assistant, medical assistants etc. in round? I'm not sure what though. Maybe It'd just be a good HoP Gimmick to be announcing training roles and stuff throughout the round.

Edit: Oops was meaning to reply to Cal. The reply system is weird!

The major thing I can think of to encourage newer staffies to gravitate to assisting departments would be to implement a few more Career Objectives that are more serious and department specific, and not just jokes like most of the current ones are. I've noticed a lot of new players tend to make some effort to follow objectives as it gives them an early clear cut goal to work towards before figuring out game systems and being able to make their own fun without the need of objectives.