Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A rule for rev rounds
Can we please have a rule for Rev Rounds that forces people to fight for the revolution or at the very least act like the head revs are in charge by following their orders? I watched a bunch of revs just mill around getting loyalties while the heads walked through them. It'll also help explain to new players what they need to do in the mode beyond "Your a Revolutionary!", which I feel is the main cause of the lopsidedness of the mode at the moment. It's not fun to just watch one side steamroll as heads or as revs, and right now there is only just those two options. Get the few turbonerds and hope they arent heads, or watch your new players stumble their way around not understanding what the mode is.
That people aren't actively engaging in the gamemode is annoying but ultimately a cultural thing and not really a server rule thing in my opinion.

If someone is actively harming their side by attacking them or something we'll step in and issue appropriate punishment but if someone is just fucking off to a-zones or refusing to stop fiddling with the genetics console, it's annoying for sure but not something I think an additional server rule will resolve. People are ultimately playing the game for fun and provided their fun doesn't involve pointlessly griefing other players, I don't think we as Staff can really force someone to engage in something if they don't want to.

Mindslave/thrall rules are an exception here of course but just enforcing those tends to be a headache, let alone at the scale rev conversations happen at.
a rule enforcing hostilities on rev rounds won't make new players suddenly know how to fight or engage in the game mode.
Perhaps if a revhead gets attacked in vision of revs the game makes some sort of "YOUR REVHEAD IS UNDER ATTACK" announcement to the viewing revs.
Telling people to beat the daylights out of anyone that doesn't have an R above their head would be magical; new people love to throw down when they see monkeys or other obvious monsters (except maybe Shamblers and other strong looking critters because they're clearly on another level) but seem unsure of what to do during a rev round.

I don't think we have to hold them to mindslave rules, but I strongly agree that more encouragement to participate and clearer pointers on how they could do that would enhance the game mode. Similar to rad storms, what if a big chat log message with a little jingle/sound effect popped up every 10 minutes encouraging them to continue fighting and reminding them which people are heads of staff? It could even drop tips on how to remove a loyalty implant, you're still a rev after implant until it fully converts you, strength in numbers, find and protect the revheads, etc?

The worst that happens is we have a small increase in participation and even that seems pretty ideal.
Being a rev may be a lot of people's first time antaging, specially if they chose to leave antags off when they first started, as getting reved doesn't care about that, most times they will just be unsure of how it works and what they can do to help, my suggestion is, try to help them, tell them to follow you and help you in fights, even if all they do is punch the other person it still helps a lot + other revs feel more inclined to join groups of revs so you will slowly form a group of toolbox wielding staffies that can kill a captain faster than said captain could pull out an egun.

If you want to solve the issue in a code way, I would say just giving the revs some way to know where the action is happening would help a lot. 90% of my rev rounds I loose track of where the rev group went because I decided to chase someone.
rev sign should use pali's new arrow for all revs in game