Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Some things while in lobby
You cannot see the crew manifest while in a lobby.
if you dont get your preffered role you do not have the option to return to lobby.
All I wish for now is to see the crew manifest before joining a round or return to lobby if I dont get my favorite role.

You can see people joining and cryoing because they did not get the role or forces people to join midround just to see who is currently on.
I’m confused by what you’re asking for here. Jobs aren’t assigned until the round actually starts so asking for a crew manifest during the pre-round lobby is literally asking for something that doesn’t exist.
(11-02-2021, 05:03 AM)Mrfishstick Wrote: I’m confused by what you’re asking for here. Jobs aren’t assigned until the round actually starts so asking for a crew manifest during the pre-round lobby is literally asking for something that doesn’t exist.

I believe they are talking about the latejoin job-signup sheet, where you see a list of the filled and available jobs.

While it's actually an interesting idea to have roundstart job selection be a similar signup system with a 'random job' button attached, I cant say i'd be a huge fan. I usually latejoin so it wouldnt affect me much, but the occasional times i play as clown, I'm really scrapping for it with the favorite role assignment since otherwise there's good odds I'll never get it. Having to physically race someone for the job in the lobby just doesnt sound pleasant considering I'd have to load my character save whereas John MacNewbie wouldn't, among a variety of other reasons like how I use roundstart as a time to refresh myself and my client.
but roles are available to see when latejoining?
(11-02-2021, 05:21 AM)unfunnyperson Wrote: but roles are available to see when latejoining?

I believe the suggestion, and correct me if I am wrong, is to use a similar system as latejoining for the preround lobby, rather than random selection.

It occurs to me after phrasing it like that that it would disadvantage security players for antag roles, which I'm not a fan of either (assuming I understand the suggestion correctly.)
The suggestion as it is

See the Crew manifest before late joining
X is the captain
Y is the Rd
Z is the clown
etc
as of now you dont know the name of the players before late joining

The other part of my suggestion
If you lets say want to play clown pre round you chose it and hope for the best
tough luck you lost the coin toss and got forced into the other jobs like staff assistant
If lets say I just wanted to play clown and lost the coin toss I want an option to just return to lobby and not get forced to play into the round.
Being able to see manifest roundstart would be strong as hell. Knowing what jobs people are can be extremely helpful for antags and some jobs (security for example), and you could easily just copy and paste manifest before joining for practically free manifest access. Dont see being able to see whose playing what jobs adds either.
by using the latejoin roles sheet and the Who command, you can see (approximately) who's playing as well as what roles are filled, which is already a lot of information beyond what many consider the territory of Easily Metagamed Knowledge

also (on the rp serves at least??) there's nothing stopping you from cryoing and ghosting out if you get a job you don't like, iirc it starts the respawn timer which upon finishing will let you return to the lobby to respawn as a new character
You shouldn't be incentivized to quit just because you didn't get the job you wanted, I have no opnions on the manifest thing though.
"I thought we had a full medbay staff for this shift, why am I the only one?"

"must be nukies"

a pre-round manifest system would cause more problems than it is worth in terms of gameplay.
(11-02-2021, 07:47 AM)Waffleloffle Wrote: also (on the rp serves at least??) there's nothing stopping you from cryoing and ghosting out if you get a job you don't like, iirc it starts the respawn timer which upon finishing will let you return to the lobby to respawn as a new character

For clarification this only applies to roleplay, also to add onto it ghosting in cryo also frees up your job slot too.
What is the benefit of knowing who is playing each role? If someone could spell out a situation where that would determine a decision you make on what role to join, that'd be great.
Seeing the manifest with who is in what role before latejoining: I could definitely see this used for meta purposes, but I can't see many purposes other than that. "Oh I like it when X is HoS, I'll join Sec." "Oh, Y is the RD? Better not join Sci." "Oh we have Z as CE, they screw up the engine every time, I'm not touching engineering." Stuff like that seems innocuous at first glance but it can really contribute to an unhealthy game.

An option to return to the lobby if you don't get your preferred role: sure I guess? That's kinda the point of always having Staff Assistant at medium though, you can go to the HoP and ask to be promoted into that department. But i wouldn't have a problem with a "either give me role X or let me latejoin as Y instead" functionality.