Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space Engineers
Okay, so I just bought Space Engineers, which is a game where you play as an engineer in space. Right now it's in alpha and for most people is a "make big spaceship and crash into another big spaceship" simulator. For me, it's more like i'm building a new ministation outside of ss13's main station. Every time I start working on my current space station, I have to continuously check behind me in case an assistant with a welder is trying to grief me (Even though they don't even exist in this game).

He's a picture of my space station currently. I have no skill, so I didn't make a giant rotating circle or anything. The building attached is my reactor room that powers up the lights and gravity generators. It's connected VIA a catwalk. The giant red ship is part of quickstart, I mostly just use it to crash things.

[Image: 25823B65C2721A45A1ABECAD6538409A28812746]

Here's a picture of the reactor core entrance from the catwalk.

[Image: D39421861FE07FC21235D8242519B3D35B751611]

Here's the inside of the reactor core, not very glamorous.

[Image: E223DEE83C1F3771FAC3D59AEF886C3432644D0D]

This is some really crappy ship I made, the 4 spears pointing out are made of light armor and I'm going to attempt to use them to stab into the giant red ship. The red ship is a gorillion times bigger than my ship.

[Image: 516FDC6AD7BF7A377863FE4BA8B128280C85A9FC]

Here's a pic from inside the cockpit of my little boat, preparing to kamikaze straight into the big red ship.

[Image: 8EF42D7681C010BCB1D5BCEC7A0C2E5D124CFE1F]

And.....

[Image: 6F17D8E6F29FEEAE57AD22F1788CBCFC4C35D06B]

It looks like I almost put a dent in it, broke the bottom 2 spears pretty badly. the edges are really sharp looking.

Here's another pic of the little ships aftermath. It's still able to move and fly around, thankfully.
[Image: 05F6815768909BCA156EE15031C579A1CC470982]

This game is fun, can't wait for multiplayer to come out.
Too... Many.. Screenshots! GHAH!

Besides the amount of time it took to scroll to the bottom and ignore the pics. I found SE fun, Although it really needs the survival elements. Resources, threats, management .ect. When those are added this will be a game i will find my self sucked into for months to come.
Those are the same guys who made Miner wars, and that game ended up sucking. They didn't fulfil any of the promise of that game, and I doubt they'll follow through on this one either.
Coincidentally, I bought Space Engineers last night, but all I've gotten from it was an absolutely black screen. I could still click on things based on the audio that played when you did a mouseover, but nothing more. It does a first time setup everytime I start it, too.

Problems aside, it sure LOOKS fun.
Chike101 Wrote:Coincidentally, I bought Space Engineers last night, but all I've gotten from it was an absolutely black screen. I could still click on things based on the audio that played when you did a mouseover, but nothing more. It does a first time setup everytime I start it, too.

Problems aside, it sure LOOKS fun.
Tried updating your drivers?
Also install Framework 4.5
Other than that verify your cache.
This looks quite a lot like that game StarMade.
Giantbomb had this on their Friday show. The one thing that really stood out was the detail on destruction. Ship parts bend and tear exceptionally well when you ram them into shit. Minecraft holds no interest for me, but this really taps into the whole fun of building and breaking things in Kerbal Space Program.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:This looks quite a lot like that game StarMade.
The ship movement is wayyyy better. It's not quite as good as Corneroids if you've heard of it physics, center of mass/gravity, etc but it's really neat. They already had a decent mining system from miner wars 2081, so hopefully it wont be long until we get full resource management. I'm really really really hopeful that this game turns out well.
So I just had a terrifying/great experience. On the maiden voyage of my first huge starship, I decided to turn off the reactor so I could walk around and see what things looked like while hurtling through space at 55 meters per second. Turns out you don't move at a relative speed to the ship you're inside, instead you're slammed against the back wall of the ship. Intent on not losing this save or blindly ramming into a meteor, I spent the next fifteen minutes valiantly sliding up and down the back wall of my bridge, turning my jetpack on/off to build some pitifully bad momentum in order to reach the command console and restore power. The ship finally came to rest at destination nowhere. I am now lost, but I still have a kick-ass spaceship.
Don Wrote:So I just had a terrifying/great experience. On the maiden voyage of my first huge starship, I decided to turn off the reactor so I could walk around and see what things looked like while hurtling through space at 55 meters per second. Turns out you don't move at a relative speed to the ship you're inside, instead you're slammed against the back wall of the ship. Intent on not losing this save or blindly ramming into a meteor, I spent the next fifteen minutes valiantly sliding up and down the back wall of my bridge, turning my jetpack on/off to build some pitifully bad momentum in order to reach the command console and restore power. The ship finally came to rest at destination nowhere. I am now lost, but I still have a kick-ass spaceship.
Reactors power the gravity generator. You learning the hard way.
Tteckk Wrote:
Don Wrote:So I just had a terrifying/great experience. On the maiden voyage of my first huge starship, I decided to turn off the reactor so I could walk around and see what things looked like while hurtling through space at 55 meters per second. Turns out you don't move at a relative speed to the ship you're inside, instead you're slammed against the back wall of the ship. Intent on not losing this save or blindly ramming into a meteor, I spent the next fifteen minutes valiantly sliding up and down the back wall of my bridge, turning my jetpack on/off to build some pitifully bad momentum in order to reach the command console and restore power. The ship finally came to rest at destination nowhere. I am now lost, but I still have a kick-ass spaceship.
Reactors power the gravity generator. You learning the hard way.
I think he means that he should already being standing/floating still in relative to the ship, since he was in it since he first started moving, the momentum would be transferred to him as well. When he cut off the power and he started floating, he lost all his momentum, which shouldn't happen.

At least I think that's what he's trying to say.
His ship must of been moving at the 55 meters a second when he left his cockpit.
Yes, it was moving at a high speed when I got out of the seat with the gravity generator turned off. Madness followed.
Yeah, there definitely needs to be a button to disable thrusters/inertial dampening/whatever it's called.

One thing that I majorly love in this game is the destruction. Yesterday I set myself up a target and make a long swordship and rammed it into the wall repeatedly to see the destruction. The target has thrusters in all directions so it levels out instead of flying into space at high speeds.
The target itself was 2 blocks thick with a 4 block thick backboard in the center. The ship had six forward thrusters, one side thruster for each direction, two reverse thrusters and then two thrusters on each side for up/down (2 for up 2 for down). The max speed was 70.2 M/s.

The swordship itself.
[Image: 2013-10-26_00005_zps65a66f0f.jpg]
[Image: 2013-10-26_00006_zps4b57c7a3.jpg]
[Image: 2013-10-26_00007_zps4e549516.jpg]
The target
[Image: 2013-10-26_00004_zps4cd26af4.jpg]
[Image: 2013-10-26_00003_zpse7d953c7.jpg]
The aftermath
test 1
[Image: 2013-10-26_00002_zps449c08e3.jpg]
[Image: 2013-10-26_00001_zpsdce85d15.jpg]
test 2
[Image: 2013-10-26_00010_zpsa5d56364.jpg]
[Image: 2013-10-26_00011_zpsf2d44180.jpg]
The puncturing on test 2 is amazing. It bore a hole straight through. The impact of test 2 destroyed most of the sword ship and sent the debris flying into space, I never saw it again. It took out the control console/gyroscope/most the gens so it just spun away into the distance. It was awesome.

This game is, quite frankly, beautiful. Even with the little content it actually has; I love it.
Yeah I bought this game and it's hilariously fun to just ram shit into other shit. Once though I tried ramming a small ship into a large ship and upon impact my game crashed, which was actually pretty funny.

When this game comes out with multi-player there will be quite an abundance of SS LONG DONG or SS RED ROCKET or SS ROCKET DONG or THE PENETRATOR or SS PHYSICAL EMBODIMENT OF MY MANHOOD. Yayyyy :downs: