Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xenobiology - A New Science Wing
Xenobiology generally refers to the study of alien lifeforms. However, in Space Station 13, many alien lifeforms are actually not too different from terrestrial life. Alien plants and animals are made out of organic compounds and all possess DNA, much like Earth plants and animals. However, there are some life forms out there that don't fit into this mold. They're life, but not as we know it.

Enter the Xenobiology Lab.

Xenobiology, in Space Station 13, is the study of inorganic life: that is, life that is not built out of organic compounds. This includes silicate-based lifeforms, energy-based lifeforms, and even plasma-based lifeforms. Not much is known about these lifeforms, and that's where you come in.

The Xenobiology Lab is equipped with special tanks for lifeforms that live in a liquid environment, as well as those that live in vacuum. In addition, there are two small chambers that can be filled with gas from canisters, for lifeforms that require say, pure nitrogen to breathe. The chambers can also be heated or chilled to suit the needs of the occupant. Several containers of space food for the creatures can be found as well, with more able to be produced in chemistry (or bought from the QM). Implantable trackers allow the xenobiologist to monitor the creature's health, and a variety of instruments allow them to experiment with the creatures and their behavior.

The most interesting piece of equipment in the Xenobiology Lab, however, is the Transport Cell. Xenobiology starts with a random xeno creature, but to get more you'll need this device. The Cell allows the Xenobiologist to capture creatures found in space (or telesci adventures!) for study back on the station. The Cell can maintain any sort of environment, no matter what pressure, temperature, atmosphere, or liquid the creature lives in.

Xeno creatures could be used to create things that are difficult or impossible to find for other labs. Imagine a plasma-dwelling jellyfish that poops medicine, or a rock monster whose babies are pure gold. If that's not enough of a lure, what about getting enough creatures to fill all the tanks and chambers, and inviting people inside to look at your space zoo!

Traitor misuse of the xenolab could be quite fun too. Imagine finding an electric lifeform out in space, and feeding it enough power cells to make it grow to a monstrous size, and unleashing it on the unsuspecting masses. Find a species of living crystal, and place it in the AI upload, where it eats all the silicon and takes over the entire station's network of computers.

TL;DR: Play Space Tamagotchi with aliens you find in space and telesci locations. Use them to get resources, show them off to friends, turn them loose to kill your enemies if they're hostile.
Sounds like the often-raised-and-shot-down space zoo idea plus TG's Xenobiology. Hell, you even used the words "space zoo".

A few things to think about:

Can creatures be aggressive? How would you deal with and capture aggressive creatures? Can aggressive (or any) creatures breach containment?

How would you figure out the required living conditions of creatures? Is this always congruent with where the creature is captured (given the lack of environmental diversity this would be a challenge to make it logical)? Can you do it within the Transport Cell, or is it necessary to release them? If you need to release them, can the creature die if you don't figure out its requirements in time?

Do different creatures have different food requirements? Do they eat while in the "wild"? How do you figure out their food requirements? Can they die if they are not fed (raises questions about what they eat in the wild), or if you feed them the wrong food?

Do you need to fulfill certain conditions before you can reap the benefits of a creature, if any? Or do you just need to keep them alive?

As interesting as the idea is however, I'd rather ArtLab be fixed before a new science discipline is added.
Embolism Wrote:Can creatures be aggressive? How would you deal with and capture aggressive creatures? Can aggressive (or any) creatures breach containment?
I imagine creatures COULD become aggressive if provoked. What provokes them and how much it would take depends on the species and the temperament of the individual creature. I imagine certain creatures could breach containment but if they can't survive in a human environment it would spell a quick death for them.

Embolism Wrote:How would you figure out the required living conditions of creatures? Is this always congruent with where the creature is captured (given the lack of environmental diversity this would be a challenge to make it logical)? Can you do it within the Transport Cell, or is it necessary to release them? If you need to release them, can the creature die if you don't figure out its requirements in time?
I imagine a book could be made and found in the lab that details what certain kinds of creatures need. It would be congruent with where the creature's found, unless they're found in a similar holding tank or chamber. Creatures can live a while in Transport Cells but eventually need to be moved to a tank or chamber. A Transport Cell will tell you what environment the creature inside needs.

Embolism Wrote:Do different creatures have different food requirements? Do they eat while in the "wild"? How do you figure out their food requirements? Can they die if they are not fed (raises questions about what they eat in the wild), or if you feed them the wrong food?
Different creatures would have different requirements but those requirements generally fall in line with what kind of creature they are. Silicate creatures, for example, like rocks and minerals. I don't think they should die if not fed (or else creatures could perish before being caught!), but feeding them the wrong food might.

Embolism Wrote:Do you need to fulfill certain conditions before you can reap the benefits of a creature, if any? Or do you just need to keep them alive?
Would depend on the creature I imagine. Perhaps a silicate creature metabolizes certain kinds of minerals into other minerals. For example, feed him iron and he shits gold. Perhaps they need to be exposed to certain stimuli.
It would be neat if people had to figure out what kind of food an animal likes, for example making a bunch of chemicals in chemistry and then feeding the animal the reagent in pill form to see how it reacts.

Chef's food could be used, but with mixed success.

e.g feed it milk and it becomes gassy

feed it puke and it becomes randomly provoked, for no reason???

feed it mercury and it sleeps.

etc.

More or less about finding random animals and seeing what happens when you give it things.
I thought this was going to be a dumb "Hey /tg/ has this why don't you" thread, but you mentioned that we could take all those aliens we find in Space and Telescience and toss them in a containment cell for purposes of higher knowledge.

Martian Autotopsies, complete with brain exploding powers and a live audience! For SCIENCE!
Chike101 Wrote:I thought this was going to be a dumb "Hey /tg/ has this why don't you" thread, but you mentioned that we could take all those aliens we find in Space and Telescience and toss them in a containment cell for purposes of higher knowledge.

Martian Autotopsies, complete with brain exploding powers and a live audience! For SCIENCE!
I don't know anything about what /tg/ has, I've never played on there.
Cameron Higgs Wrote:
Chike101 Wrote:I thought this was going to be a dumb "Hey /tg/ has this why don't you" thread, but you mentioned that we could take all those aliens we find in Space and Telescience and toss them in a containment cell for purposes of higher knowledge.

I don't know anything about what /tg/ has, I've never played on there.
/tg/ has basically almost everything you have suggested man, exept they are all slimes. and they don't need air. they will eat you though!
I'm fairly certain something like this was suggested before and it was rejected outright.
Disection would be hilarious for the simple fact that someone would eventually ask "What happens if you put this organ in a human"

Of course the suggestions would eventually go too close to baystation/tgstation's fury territory, so that probably would never happen.
I'm saying yes if only because this will give me the chance to exercise my Second Amendment Space-Right.

The right to Bear Arms. :911:

I mean, assuming that we'd be able to harvest limbs and whatnot from the aliens during dissection.
We don't even need a new rooms for this. Just let something happen if you put a martian/wendigo/yeti/Hooty on the surgery tables in Science or Medical and start carving.
Make the test-chamber Xenobiology. Maybe have it start with a space-pig or some harmless alien thing or something. BAM DONE
Xenonia Wrote:Make the test-chamber Xenobiology. Maybe have it start with a space-pig or some harmless alien thing or something. BAM DONE
I support the limbs of pigs on people.
Chike101 Wrote:I support the limbs of people on pigs.
I support anything that would involve a bunch of maniacs trying to kidnap the Wendigo King and bring it back alive for testing only to have the obvious ensue.