Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
a few ideas for nukeops utility items
To clarify, this isn't just about the utility purchase token that nukeops get - there are some issues with that that have been highlighted (I probably have a thread on it but I'm too lazy to check and IIRC Gannets has mentioned it as well), namely that there are clear best purchases and simply adding stuff to it doesn't mean it'll ever get used.

Rather, these are suggestions for things that could be utility purchases, could be Cairngorm freebies, could be items that could fit into existing or new class crates, or could be purchases in this PR.

Quick-deploy Railings - One thing I've been toying with while brainstorming ideas for defending the nuke that I sadly haven't gotten the chance to actually test out is using railings to block some areas as an alternative to tables or barricades.  The logic is essentially as follows - it lets nukies get in and out of the defended area, while snipers or engineers can use their knockback guns to interrupt crew members trying to climb over.  Right now you have to assemble railings from sheets, however, and that takes a fair amount of time and involves extra clicks.  A quick-deploy railing would eliminate the "choose what you want to make" bit, saving valuable time.  Would they be a viable alternative or supplement to tables and barricades?  I think so but again I haven't tried.

Plasma Glass Grenades - Right now area denial options for nukeops are pretty much limited to landmines, which are kind of clunky to use.  One thing I've wanted to try, but which is even harder to set up in nuke than railings, is scattering plasma glass shards around as makeshift caltrops.  If someone steps on them, they're briefly stunned, slightly damaged, and knocked down for a second.  You can pick them up to get them out of the way, but doing so slows you down and slowing down the enemy is important when defending!  So, my idea is a grenade that, when detonated, creates a number of plasma glass shards (either throwing them randomly a short distance or in a + formation).

Tactical Road Flares - One problem with using a power sink is that there frequently aren't enough NVGs, thermals, and mesons for the entire nuke team.  A pity, since power sinks are actually fun on nukeops and not incredibly annoying as you wait half an hour for power to come back.  An epiphany I had is that you don't need to see where you are, you just need to see where the person you're shooting is.  Toss some light near expected points of breach, and shoot anyone you see.  You can use glowsticks for this, but to make things more ~tactical~ (and red) I'm suggesting road flares, which would illuminate a larger area, be harder to break, and of course glow an ominous red.

Naturally, I had more ideas and promptly forgot them the moment I started writing this.  I'll edit them in or add them in a new post after work if I happen to remember them again.
Plasma glass grenades should deploy plasmaglass that doesn't effect nukies. It would be really easy for a crew member to pick up the glass and throw it back at the nukies causing the nukies to trip and drop their weapons. I do really like the plasmaglass grenade idea apart from that.
Nah, I think grenades should be a risk-reward thing; bad placement should harm the nukies as much as it does the crew

edit: we could also make the no-slip boots from the utility vendor block plasmaglass
I like the idea of flares. Seems appropriate to the theme.

Would be fun to both have one you start with and some kinda option for more in different colors for marking points
Flares seem like a sensible freebie. Not sure about railings, what direction do they pick to deploy? Can you rotate them?
I figure the most intuitive way of deploying railings would be to have them be like chairs, click in hand or press "c" to deploy in the direction you're currently facing.
Flare gun so I can shoot people with a big glowing fireball.