Duke Nukem becomes HoS: part two
Photo 
Usual character name: Duke Nukem (name i use when playin sec), Mac McGee, or Syndicate Chef
BYOND username: Jakson27
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Jak#3251
Recommended by (if applicable): JC Denton, Kilgor Blakmen, Bruce McAfee
Goon servers you play: main 1, main 1, and a little bit of main 1

Reason for application:
The tools that the HoS have are tools that are extremely powerful, and could really help the round and create more interactions in the station that are fun for everyone. When in the right hands, they can singlehandedly save the station. Quite often when I play security, I run into situations where I lack the tools to deal with a situation, giving someone back their ID card, accessing AI upload to fix a rogue AI, rushing to someplace to save a health alert behind a locked door, or maybe just someone to lead a team of security officers. That's the most important one, as I commonly see security officers wordlessly patrolling the station, not talking on the radio, or not being cooperative with their team. A security team that works together is a security team that wins together. When I see team's play by the radio and watch the health alerts, you can really catch some bad guys. I've been at both ends to see this kind of teamwork at play, and it always results positively. But some teams don't work cooperatively, and I think with myself as HoS, I could help wrangle up the team together and ensure this kind of teamwork is at play.

Security experience (300 word minimum):
I originally was a hard security main a while back, and applied but then lost interest after my first application was denied. I became well known in the community, and have started playing on and off again since. I consider myself to be a pretty robust individual who knows how to be prepared without powergaming to the most unfun extent. I also work well under stress, and even in chaotic stations, I know which situations to prioritize, and how to deal with it. Recently I began playing security again, and it is quite enjoyable, but I'm trying to not play it too often, to avoid burnout. If I were to estimate the amount of hours of experience I have on sec, maybe between roughly 100 hours of security experience at the least? Out of my total 837 hours at the time of writing this. I also believe I have experience in nearly all other parts of the game, except for botany and genetics and maybe some azone nerdery.

Answer two or more of the following:
What advice would you give to other sec players?
ALWAYS check the radio and PDA alerts. That shit is important. Health alerts and death alerts are especially important, and you can really let down the entire security team if you ignore a death alert of one of your colleagues. Radio messages should always be checked, if you don't, then Staffie McStafferson is going to be angry you didn't come rescue him after he yelled in the radio that he was being murdered. This is also an extension of teamwork skills, checking your radio is an important factor of teamwork.
Also, don't play like a hardass, even if it's main, have a little fun. Don't be the lame super silent HoS who's validhunts the station. Your job as a HoS should be to improve the interactions for all players, regardless of them being valid or not.

What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
A personal favorite security moment was a chef traitor round, I had killed and cooked about 15 people, and secretly killed a few security officers after luring them into the freezer. Eventually I was busted, and was chased out of my kitchen and into disposals, where I was cornered in a dark hallway. I was finally stunned and handcuffed. I asked them for one last request, and they comply. My last request is to be cooked into a sloppy joe. The HoS and his team take me into my kitchen and kill me, setting off my microbombs, joining me in death.

What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
I personally wish that some type of reinforced door existed, making hacking doors much harder. These doors could be used in security, armory, AI upload, important offices, and many more. This would really help the balance of the game, as it is far too easy to hack into places. 

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
I know this isn't the question but I think a more relevant question to ask would be how you would act in a situation where the station is highly chaotic, several officers are dead, cloner is dead, power is out, and antags are running loose. In this situation it is important to keep track of your foes, and prioritize them. A rogue AI shouldn't be a high threat compared to somebody with a stun baton and a port-a-puke who has killed 4 people so far.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
Turn the brig into a public zoo at the public market where passerby's can shame at free will.

Draw a picture!
[Image: 5rtsr4.gif]
as you can see here, i have portrayed myself as the chad you and the soyjak, you fool

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
Spammed a lighter with an autoclicker
Made some no-no jokes on the radio show
No from me. Your attitude towards stuff outside of security is concerning to say the least, and a quick plug of your sec experience into google docs shows it's about half of the required amount of words needed. Personally I think you could also be a bit more mature outside the game too.
Ah, forgot about that word count, here's something better and maybe some admin could edit it in.

I originally was a hard security main a while back, started on the RP server playing a lot of detective, then after a while of playing on RP, I began playing on main for the first time, then played as a security officer, after a little bit I made my first HoS application about 6 months back, and then application was a learning experience where I got the chance to improve myself. Since then I’ve been playing on and off again and I play security every now and then, making myself reputable in the community. Recently I’ve come back from a hiatus and now I’m beginning to play security again. Overall I’d consider myself a robust individual who knows how to click on some crimers and also to be prepared without being unfun, as well as having the ability to adapt to any current situation. Even under high stress chaotic situations, I know how to prioritise my foes and can decide on who to worry about the most, as I will explain further below. I’m trying not to main security too hard, to avoid burning out of the job again.

I’d consider myself knowledgeable about most aspects of the game to an extent that I can handle most situations, the few exceptions being botany and genetics, and a little azone nerdery. If I were to estimate how many hours of security playtime I have, I’d say I’ve spent roughly 100 hours of my 837 spent on security as of writing this application now. Whenever I play security in a game I like to check with other security officers and HoS’s what they think of my performance, and I have gotten mostly if not all but positive feedback from my security officers I work with, because that’s what matters in my opinion, the ability to work well with security officers and having fun with them.
Yesterday I saw you set the ptl up and just sit there and laugh while antag critters were murdering people with it. You could have done anything whether it be turning off the ptl or murdering the antag critters but you did nothing and made remarks about the people you indirectly murdered. When I questioned you in discord after the game ended you said things like “it’s their fault they ran into the ptl” and refused to take any blame for indirectly murdering/gibbing tons of players.

This isn’t an isolated incident either I’ve seen you do borderline self antag/grief behaviors many times and not take responsibility for them. I don’t believe you wouldn’t use the hos tools to abuse and grief players/antags.

(10-26-2021, 05:07 AM)unfunnyperson Wrote: Yesterday I saw you set the ptl up and just sit there and laugh while antag critters were murdering people with it. You could have done anything whether it be turning off the ptl or murdering the antag critters but you did nothing and made remarks about the people you indirectly murdered. When I questioned you in discord after the game ended you said things like “it’s their fault they ran into the ptl” and refused to take any blame for indirectly murdering/gibbing tons of players.

This isn’t an isolated incident either I’ve seen you do borderline self antag/grief behaviors many times and not take responsibility for them. I don’t believe you wouldn’t use the hos tools to abuse and grief players/antags.

We had a very extended discussion about this in the discord earlier, and I just want to relay some of the things mentioned there onto this thread so people can review it. Yesterday, I had the PTL laser turned on high levels, and I was in the PTL control room watching Rosan, a fire elemental, throw people into the laser. I was playing CE at the time and trying to reach the 1 million credit goal. I didn't do anything about it at the time, and watched, because if I left the room, I could easily be killed, the laser could be turned back on, and it wouldn't matter. That round I chose not to do anything. Then today the exact same situation happened, me in the control room, Rosan throwing people in the laser, so this time, I decided to be more morally correct and try to kill him, and surprise, a CE doesn't win against a fire elemental with a large blunt weapon, and the laser still is turned on. My point being, there is no scenario here where I come on top.

Also, admins themselves have said that leaving the PTL turned on is not self antagging, and is usually expected of by engineers. I can't be a self antagonist for just trying to reach the 1 million credit Chief Engineer goal. It has never been enforced by admins. My scenarios in that situation were limited, and I hope that you can judge my skills more on my security experience, rather than my shifts playing non-security.
+1, had fun rp experiences with them, always a good sport about being killed by an antag, taught me a cool few tricks, and hasnt been salty about me pulling him into a back room to ling him. When I used to do security regularly, I could rely on him to support me and be fair to antags.
(10-26-2021, 05:07 AM)unfunnyperson Wrote: Yesterday I saw you set the ptl up and just sit there and laugh while antag critters were murdering people with it. You could have done anything whether it be turning off the ptl or murdering the antag critters but you did nothing and made remarks about the people you indirectly murdered. When I questioned you in discord after the game ended you said things like “it’s their fault they ran into the ptl” and refused to take any blame for indirectly murdering/gibbing tons of players.

The PTL used to always be dangerous, and people treated it like the crusher. Now, its harder to get PTL's to that level of danger, and the playerbase has sort of forgotten about how strong it is. In the past; the PTL used to always be on and gibbing people, now shouldnt be any different. If critters were scoring kills with it; its because nobody was fighting back, which has and will always be an issue. If anything, I see this as a, Duke knows more departments really well then just security.

Duke's not the most mature; but most of us arent. Hell, hes more mature then me. I haven't seen him using antag gear as sec, thats pretty mature, not to use things because you can. I don't think ive had a bad experience with him since hes came back; nor before he took a break. I gave him a +1 on his last one, and I am now, too. Hes fair, but he knows how to hold his ground
+1 from me. Competent officer. I know if I ask em to do something as HoS they'll get it done

I cannot speak to much towards Duke's performance as security officer, from what Ive seen while nothing noteworthy they've been good. However I believe that this is important to share.

Its important to note Ive had a similar incident as antag critter, this time as spider. This was back when cog2 ptl cut the hallway in half. Duke, despite not managing the burn at all at this time and just sitting near ptl and having nothing impairing them from doing so didnt even bother setting up the basic task of setting up teleporters or something similar. Its important to note that eventually someone did eventually set up teleporters however Duke did not influence them directly to do so, and if they havent done that Duke wouldve done nothing. This lead to people crossing the laser and explode, eventually depressurizing half the station, all the while you did nothing. When I, a spider, took advantage of this to kill people, yet again you did nothing.

(10-27-2021, 01:00 PM)Ikea Wrote:

I cannot speak to much towards Duke's performance as security officer, from what Ive seen while nothing noteworthy they've been good. However I believe that this is important to share.

Its important to note Ive had a similar incident as antag critter, this time as spider. This was back when cog2 ptl cut the hallway in half. Duke, despite not managing the burn at all at this time and just sitting near ptl and having nothing impairing them from doing so didnt even bother setting up the basic task of setting up teleporters or something similar. Its important to note that eventually someone did eventually set up teleporters however Duke did not influence them directly to do so, and if they havent done that Duke wouldve done nothing. This lead to people crossing the laser and explode, eventually depressurizing half the station, all the while you did nothing. When I, a spider, took advantage of this to kill people, yet again you did nothing.

Fuck me I didnt mean to quote my own comment
Frankly, Duke... I really like you and think you bring a lot to the community.

But I'd much rather you take a month of **consistent** play and apply it to a mentor app as we REALLY need more mentors with in-depth engineering knowledge and frankly we need mentors a lot more than we need HOSes.

Honestly, I don't even fully get why you want to be HOS whitelisted since I almost never see you play sec.

No vote on my end, just wanted to give some input.
Also, I haven't been able to play security for the past few days due to my WiFi being really shoddy lately, making it really hard to click on crimers. So if you're looking for me in-game to judge my sec performance, I'm not able to play sec atm. It won't be fixed for another week, at most.
You may be a good Security Officer, but you are, in my book, not a great player.

While this may have changed in recent months while I am on my hiatus, I do not think that a person that freely lubed areas into glass tables is good player material and claiming that you were 'cleaning and should have seen it coming' afterwards is very immature of you, most especially the IC and OOC confrontations I had with you ingame and in the discord during the aftermath about it.

Very hard no.
(11-03-2021, 07:30 PM)Nihisohel Wrote: You may be a good Security Officer, but you are, in my book, not a great player.

While this may have changed in recent months while I am on my hiatus, I do not think that a person that freely lubed areas into glass tables is good player material and claiming that you were 'cleaning and should have seen it coming' afterwards is very immature of you, most especially the IC and OOC confrontations I had with you ingame and in the discord during the aftermath about it.

Very hard no.

This situation was many months ago, even before I made my first HoS application, so I hope to see you in-game more to see more recent performance, since an anecdote from 6-8(?) months ago seems like crude reasoning to say "Very hard no", and iirc I remember that round differently, but the details of something from that long ago are foggy in my mind.
I kind of have the same opinion as Alyas, honestly. You are super fun to play with, but I'll admit I like seeing you in other roles more than security, so you can be yourself and not be as restricted by playing security, since there's a lot more criticism when playing it generally.

I think some of the criticisms are a little harsh, especially as you weren't playing security for them. The PTL incidents in particular seem like punishing a player for a game feature that is normally ignored and barely noticeable, frankly. Most people would agree the PTL needs changes to begin with, and punishing a player for doing well in engineering and turning the PTL on with a lot of power (which causes deaths because people are used to the PTL being useless and applying like 1 second of burn) is pretty unfair and should honestly be a criticism of the feature and not the player. Engineering right now is not in a great spot, and getting angry at players for actually putting in the effort to do a high power engine and use the PTL when it's so rare is wacky to me.

I don't think HoS is a great fit for your playstyle that I'm familiar with, at least currently. I think you would be a good mentor, and I hope you apply for mentor because you are very knowledgeable and helpful as a player. No vote from me, just something to think on.
While I personally believe your play style is a better fit for NTSO more so then HoS, I'm willing to give you a chance to see how you do, you are clearly a knowledge able player and good secoff

+1