Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.88 Average
Mutantraces can no longer wear wigs
It's not untrue that some combinations of mutantrace and wig are kind of a fashion disaster, but I don't really see it as a problem if people wanna look like that, personally.
Humans still have the unique capability of having actual grown hair, that is not a wig, that can be manipulated with a barber and hairgrownium, and that can be worn together with a hat.
Some of them looked really bad aesthetically, imo. It's funny if you gib and someone picks up your hair to wear it, but I think the jankness of it being a constant thing is pretty ugly and makes actual good design difficult.
Yeah, if the dev team decides it's not a good fit for aesthetic reasons, I can't really weigh in on that. I have no sense of beauty or aesthetics whatsoever. :p

It would really be nice if mutantraces had more other customizations like hair, besides slight color differences like lizards and roaches!
now that I have actually slept and am thinking straight, I can post a response that will hopefully not get me a forum warning. still pissed though so don't get your hopes up too much

Taking one look at the thread where the trait was suggested, the PR, or the changelog entry would have made it immediately obvious that: 

1. Letting mutantraces have hair was 90% of the reason why the trait was made in the first place
  2. The community was overwhelmingly in favor of this
So removing the ability for mutantraces to take the trait just shows a complete and utter disregard for the community. Kyle even posted in the suggestion thread and said it was a good idea! Why did the admins suddenly take a complete 180 and decide to remove it after 2 days? Hell, why is it that the only people I have seen, on here or the discord, that are against the trait being usable by mutantraces, have been admins? Going off the discord, the first response from any admin to the change was cogweks responding to people complaining about it with "owned". Why does it seem like the admin team is so unanimously against a feature that the community overwhelmingly supports?
Cog was clearly joking, cmon
(10-26-2021, 12:11 PM)Lady Birb Wrote: So removing the ability for mutantraces to take the trait just shows a complete and utter disregard for the community. Kyle even posted in the suggestion thread and said it was a good idea! Why did the admins suddenly take a complete 180 and decide to remove it after 2 days? Hell, why is it that the only people I have seen, on here or the discord, that are against the trait being usable by mutantraces, have been admins? Going off the discord, the first response from any admin to the change was cogweks responding to people complaining about it with "owned". Why does it seem like the admin team is so unanimously against a feature that the community overwhelmingly supports?

One particular reason that I am quoting from an internal discussion:

Quote:Staff are forbidden to communicate anything the admin team could consider sensitive to the general public without the clear and unambiguous consent of the involved parties. This includes, but is not limited to: internal arguments, feelings/notes on specific players/groups, and game development. Discussions in admin channels are held with a certain expectation of privacy, and staff members should use not only their best judgement, but also others’, when discussing internal matters with the public. Staff should always attempt to resolve internal issues through internal means, including via the mediation system.
My own understanding is that most of the staff didn’t even know the trait existed until the revert had already occurred. I saw it in git but I didn’t actually bother to review it or otherwise look at it. When Kyle reverted it he did so on his own thinking that he was making a minor change to a newly add feature. He certainly wasn’t expecting such a tremendous outcry, or such toxicity from certain players.

So now it’s in the spotlight for every admin to inspect and comment on, myself included. My own thoughts are that it shouldn’t be a free trait, and I’m considering changing that, I even tossed up a quick PR so I don’t forget. This also sparked up new conversations among the staff who said hey I like the idea of more customization, so let’s explore those avenues!

A lot of people like to comment on “the admins” as if we all meet up on Thursday in the boardroom with cigars and scotch to discuss our next move. That’s not how it works.
I'll elaborate on my reasoning/thought-process for this incident. I'll try to la6 it out in points chronologically for clarity.

1. When I initially saw the wig thread, I thought it was funny and a good change. Mutantraces using it were mentioned, but honestly I did not pay it much mind since when I head "your own hair but as a wig" I was thinking of humans since they are the only ones with hair. I saw that the thread and pr had good support, I wouldn't have called it "overwhelming support", the pr had only a couple emotes and no comments.

2. When I saw an image of a cowman with the hair in admin chat that looked really silly my first thought was legitimately, "this is clearly a bug, mutantraces don't have hair, why would they have wigs of \"their hair\"? And my changing this was breifly discussed to what I felt was mixed reactions and I did learn it was intentional, but it being technically a "bug" or not didn't really change how I thought it looked.

3. So, I thought it looked bad and out of line with our prevailing design philosophy on mutantraces. They never had hair until now and I felt like this change broke that design we were aiming for.

4. Referring back to point 1, I did not consider mutantraces having hair to be the core of the PR, so I didn't think that it was much impacted by my changing it so the trait was only for humans.

5. I got the impression that people felt I was "attacking"mutantrace players for removing this customizabilty, but I did not consider this change as doing something "to" players any more than any aesthetic choice. Mostly because this was such a new change and did not expect such attachment to it. I considered this as simply making an aesthetic choice to something in the game since everyone, not just the mutantrace players, has to see mutantraces. I didn't view it as "taking something away from people" as it were.

I added multicolored lizards and the framework for letting mutantraces change colors years ago and expected someone would eventually add more on top of it to give mutantraces more customizibility without just giving them human hair. But nobody ever did. I think that hair is a distinctive trait of humans in game, and giving it to mutantraces undercuts it and the uniqueness of humans and mutantraces. They never had hair before and that wasn't an accident, I considered it an accident/mistake/what-have-you that it was essentially added to them in this trait.
This was clearly a case of Big Hair trying to keep the Wig Exchange down.
HONK! MOPSY
Admins BAD
Angry mob GOOD
(I also agree with Kyle that mutant races shouldnt have hair because thats the humans unique thing and mutant races should have other neat things to customize like lizard frills or cow horns, dunno about skeletons though.)
(10-20-2021, 08:41 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Wig snatched

Kyle, when I said this, I didn't think you'd take it as advice
I don't feel too strongly about the wigs one way or the other, but i'l echo other people in saying , if there was some extra customization for the other Mutant Races that'd be swell.