Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Global game statistics for Goonhub - such as "most/least picked jobs", etc.
Dunno if this is already internally happening, but keeping track of statistics for things such as jobs picked at latejoin, or jobs actually given to people during roundstart, etc. can act as a useful reference to where the game currently lies in terms of job balance.

Of course, statistics aren't an endall beall indicator of what people find fun or boring, especially since during roundstart you may not always get the job you want _exactly_, and the suicide verb doesn't account for all instances of self-harm spessmen can do, making that a hard (but possible!) statistic to keep track of.

Though it would also be fun to know how many farts total happen per round on average, and the difference between a roleplay vs classic server, or how many antags statistically get their objectives done etc.
Might be fun to see
i think wire has a record of these the same way which traitor items bought are recorded, would be cool to see it in public
To be fair, E V E R Y round has been logged and archived, and I'd imagine some clever scripting could automate the process of finding really any applicable stat you can think of across goon history
Theoretically possible. Admin logs already record job someone joined as, whether at roundstart, latejoin, respawn, etc., and GoonHub used to track job for "deadiest job" for each round (now it doesn't.) Archives don't go very far though. We have logs from 2015 for example, but they're the shortened version that doesn't list job. I'd say data for most picked/least picked job statistics is pretty much wholly complete for 2021 and 2020, mostly complete for 2019 and probably 2018, and from then it gets muddier, especially past/before the 2016 mark. I don't have complete access to the server like Wire though, so if there's some forgotten corner where some old-ass logs are just randomly lying about, he'd probably know.

As a side note, pali has indeed done some clever scripting of the logs, and that's how stats about most/least bought traitor items was procured. I also remember a similar project about emotes (how many farts per year??????), but I can't remember how that turned out.
(10-23-2021, 11:27 AM)Studenterhue Wrote: Theoretically possible. Admin logs already record job someone joined as, whether at roundstart, latejoin, respawn, etc., and GoonHub used to track job for "deadiest job" for each round (now it doesn't.) Archives don't go very far though. We have logs from 2015 for example, but they're the shortened version that doesn't list job. I'd say data for most picked/least picked job statistics is pretty much wholly complete for 2021 and 2020, mostly complete for 2019 and probably 2018, and from then it gets muddier, especially past/before the 2016 mark. I don't have complete access to the server like Wire though, so if there's some forgotten corner where some old-ass logs are just randomly lying about, he'd probably know.

As a side note, pali has indeed done some clever scripting of the logs, and that's how stats about most/least bought traitor items was procured. I also remember a similar project about emotes (how many farts per year??????), but I can't remember how that turned out.
That's great news! I feel like statistics is a useful tool for game design, but overall they're just fun as hell to look at even if it's not used for any real purpose. 
Also if you can access history for when certain updates etc. were made it would be really interesting to see how the statistics would be affected, like how many new medic players joined before vs after adding the automender.