Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wig Trait
A wig trait that upon spawning makes your hair on your head a wig instead of actual hair on the hat slot, meaning that your actually bald.

This trait could also be used with mutant races so that they can obtain hairstyles as well. It would conflict with lizards considering they use the hair colours to change the colour of their scales, but that could be fixed by adding a another colour picker for lizards.

Id also recommend that if you have the trait equipped, the character customization would show the hairstyle you will be having if its with a mutant race. So that mutant races don't have to join the round to see how the hair actually looks then have to wait for the next round to see their next choice.

This feature would give more customization options to players and mostly to mutant races that were always bald.

I've always wanted to play skeleton but I always disliked that I was bald so id enjoy a trait like this a lot.
lmao this would be amazing
I like it. Big yes from me.
I think this is a good idea, but from my experience messing with customization code, it could be pretty hard to implement. That's not a strike against it. It just might mean you end up with a thread of people agreeing but it might never be implemented. If the wig were randomly generated from a subset of possible hairstyles and colors, that could be a lot more straightforward. Another solution would be for it to not be a trait, but rather a device in the barbershop that lets players make wigs. I'll list a few problems the implementation will face. This isn't to argue against it, but to give people who might want to work on this project a chance to think about some of the problems they will need to overcome.

* Players will probably need two sets of color variables to separate out mutant race colors from hair colors. This will require changes to the player save file and the solution will need to be able to work with existing save files so people don't lose their saved characters with the change.

* What should happen when a role has round start headgear? Should the wig start as a trinket in their backpack? Should it always start that way? That would probably be easier to implement and less likely to cause issues down the road.

* There will need to be changes to the character selection UI. How should this be handled for humans and mutant races?
Another idea; you could simply pick the color of your wig from a menu when you spawn, ideally with some presets to make it easier.
It's very easy to implement, apparently.

Needs an icon though, and haven't done the character setup thing yet, so you can see it in the character creator.

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/6385
Good idea. What do we call the trait tho? Oh, I didn't read zdjfkykf's pr. That works.
I wouldn't mind changing the name or description, I gave this zero thought whatsoever.
Wig snatched
(10-20-2021, 08:41 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Wig snatched
Personally, I am not familiar with that phrase, so I can't really say if that is a good name. 😅