Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Newspapers
We need more goofy spy stuff, like cardboard boxes, so I came up with something quite similar:

Newspapers are spawned as a rolled up newspapers, which is a small item which instantly kills flies and tiny spider critters on hit, insignificant otherwise. 
When opened, the newspaper unfolds into a two-handed item which blocks your vision and hides your identity. You can straighten your newspaper with iconic newspaper snapping sound by using C.

When you use scissors on newspaper, it makes a holey-newspaper which does not block your vision. Cutting the paper this way also leaves behind newspaper letters, which can be used like pen to glue letters on papers -- No one can ever trace your handwriting this way!

Newspapers are items sold by PaperBuddy-robots. Idk what there should actually read, except maybe station announcements from other servers and random quotes from previous rounds (maybe some markov chain generated nonsense?)

Didn't we also have daily job journalists? Those guys would then have more things to do. There could be a publishing computer somewhere in crew quarters, or accessible through PDA.
Newspaper buddy tool that shoot newspapers at people does sound pretty fun.
(10-19-2021, 06:55 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Newspaper buddy tool that shoot newspapers at people does sound pretty fun.

EXTRA EXTRA *shoots paper at you*
emp the guardbuddy for the paper to be on fire
I love this idea, but it does need to give news papers a funny use, otherwise anyone using it is automatically suspicious
(10-22-2021, 08:46 AM)Crystalwarrior Wrote: I love this idea, but it does need to give news papers a funny use, otherwise anyone using it is automatically suspicious

Temp job skill bonuses after reading a newspaper/magazine for a bit?
I am in love with this idea
My vision for this is that the newspapers themselves are on a "topic", such as doctoring, police work, construction, and so forth, and will provide the job related trait for twice the time you read it for; reading a newspaper on doctoring for 30 seconds would give you the Medical Training job trait for one minute. I feel 1:2 may be best, because 1:1 would make reading them redundant for a few traits; Engineering Training reducing the time it takes to build something by half, but to get this you would need to spend that half you saved reading the paper.

I think excluding Chaplain Training and Professional Drinker would be for the best, because one can far too easily be used for power gaming, and the other doesn't really make sense, even for SS13. Potentially a bit power-gamey, but it gives a good reason for newspapers to be used. Holey newspapers won't provide any job bonuses, you can't have everything!
real missed opportunity for holey newspapers to provide chaplain training