Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
[PR] Disables Miscreants
But miscreant objectives are fun, and I had a lot of fun doing the stuff it suggested when I started playing (or at least some variety of it). What if all jobs just had a chance to roll job objectives and additionally a small chance to roll a miscreant objective?
Miscreants are redundant.
Just like how Antagonist objectives are suggestions, you can merely ignore it. But for new players, who usually don't, would most likely go ape shit on some of the objectives, or mistake the role as a, go fucking nuts, you are a psycho.

While the above may not necessarily apply to Main which is already a shitfest by itself, I do not think its a good idea to get new players to mistake Miscreant Objectives to be just like Antagonist Objectives and should not be something that they should unleash their inner psychopath when attempting to achieve.

Incentivising some of these objectives can become borderline griefy if taken a step too far or if the objective is improperly worded or mistaken in some way, this would just put on more stress on the Admins.

There is just no point to Miscreants as it stands.
(10-19-2021, 04:21 AM)Vocalpocal Wrote: But miscreant objectives are fun, and I had a lot of fun doing the stuff it suggested when I started playing (or at least some variety of it). What if all jobs just had a chance to roll job objectives and additionally a small chance to roll a miscreant objective?

You can just as easily pull open a list and pick one at random, and it's virtually the same.
The idea of miscreants was neat, however I agree that in practice the concept lead to more trouble than fun. Maybe with a little polish or a retool the concept could return at some point?
What if we made being a miscreant a toggle, keep it away from the antag toggles so there is less confusion and have a pop up explaining what being a miscreant means when you are one.
I don't know with it being toggleable, there comes a time where some player might just go, "but I'm a miscreant" in some adminpm or something when they go overboard with it.
Just not a fan with miscreants I guess.
1000% needs to go.

The ratio of confused new players asking about their miscreant status versus interesting things I've seen happen due to someone having miscreant status must be pushing 100-to-1.
idk one of the first fun creative things i did was make a museum, as a museum miscreant, when I was brand new. Rodney was a newmin at the time and even helped me out a bit till my museum got shuttlecrushed lmao I feel that the 3 or so miscreant objectives isnt enough, and they get old fast. I think we need alot more objectives then the.. what are they, be loud, build annoying shit, make a mesueum?
i have mixed opinions on this haha.
bc some objectives are fun and maybe we could add new ones, or improve them.
if the problem is that some players are confused and think they can behave like antags, then it should be made clear that they are not and still have to follow the rules. maybe with a notice? could be a solution?
How about replacing the chance of being a miscreant with the chance of seeing a "Random idea:" message at roundstart.
It would be exactly the same, but phrased differently as to reduce confusion.
Trying to put myself in the shoes of a new player, I'd be much less inclided to think I can do antag stuff if what I saw was preceded by "Hey here's a random idea" than if it's preceded by "You're a miscreant!".

It makes explicit the fact that it's just an idea or suggestion, and doesn't make you feel like you have a status different from regular crewmembers.

This could also be an opportunity to edit out some suggestions or add new ones.
I could see it working if it's just random bad ideas you get from somewhere.

As it is, we really do get a LOT of people who ask what exactly they are allowed to do now.
Personally ive always ignored miscreant status, it seems irrelevant to me when the objectives are not interesting and non-miscreants can do basically the same things without any repercussions.

Miscreant status also creates a very fine line in the rules between what is acceptable and what is not for you to do. I can see this especially for newer players hard to grasp and only creates confusion and frustration.
(10-19-2021, 06:16 AM)Zonespace Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 04:21 AM)Vocalpocal Wrote: But miscreant objectives are fun, and I had a lot of fun doing the stuff it suggested when I started playing (or at least some variety of it). What if all jobs just had a chance to roll job objectives and additionally a small chance to roll a miscreant objective?

You can just as easily pull open a list and pick one at random, and it's virtually the same.

That's not the same. You can't expect a new player to open some kind of suggestion.txt to have some ideas what to do that shift.
A lot of the miscreant objectives are "get yourself beaten up and thrown out an airlock" levels of griefy tbh.  If we want to keep miscreants we'd need some serious quality control on the objectives.
I’d like to see more crew objectives and miscreant objectives that are in conflict.  The point is to build tension and necessitate interactions among the crew but in a way that should not escalate to violence/grief (and thereby still be within the rules).

If there is an issue with new folks getting confused, maybe having a minimum round count might help?

Honestly the RP mode line, “Remember, this is an opportunity to create a story, not to cause wanton destruction.” sums it up.  I think it is just as applicable to non-RP.  They are like optional writing/improv prompts for your shift. Go forth and spice things up and be a little bad so someone can play the good guy.