Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
[PR] Disables Miscreants
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[Removal]
About the PR
This PR disables miscreants without removing the code for them, in case public opinion changes again.

Why's this needed?

- I have seen many, many Mentorhelps and questions from new people about what a miscreant *is* and what they do. As such, it seems that the existence of miscreants confuses new players.
- Multiple long-time players have expressed that they don't like miscreants, or that miscreants don't bring much to the table.
- As far as I know, miscreants don't get much, if any, leeway compared to a non-antag doing the same thing as them.
- Going hand-in-hand with point 3, you can do pretty much anything a miscreant can do, be it normally or through their objectives.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Zonespace
(+)Miscreants have been disabled.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I am somewhat mixed on this, on one hand, I do enjoy some miscreant objectives like make a fake scenario to get people worried, but there are others that just step on the toes of other players like make a new bar and steal customers away from the real bar, Trimming down some of the less fun ones might be better then removing them out right.
I like miscreants. They're "semi-antags" with FUN objectives for non-antag crew.

Some ask you to do stuff like blocking off the halls, or making it harder to travel--making it OK to commit this without admins being upset at you for it.

They're hard to notice if you don't pay attention, and idk if they deserve a pop-up box, but I'd say it's always been fun being an miscreant and completing your objectives.

Lately they're not noticeable due to the large amount of new players, as well as self-antags which do things like blocking off halls anyway.
Aside from that, I reiterate, they've always been fun for me as a newer player and even as an experienced player I'd like to keep doing them--I just plain don't notice when I am one.
I have literally never seen miscreants contribute positive things to the station. Definitely on board with this.
I think them not contributing is kind of the point. They're not called goody two-shoes...es

I don't really agree with the spirit of the PR but in practice I'm probably on board. On the one hand, it's very easy to miss that you are one. On the other, many of the miscreant objectives are things nobody will give a shit about if you do.
If someone wishes to or not to be a miscreant is up to them, there isn't the same expectation an antag would have, and when someone decides to do their miscreant objective it is often fun, I don't see how removing miscreants would make the game any better.
Remove these guys all it does it confuse new players who think they get antag rights, old players just do miscreant shit anyway
Miscreants follow under the exact same grief rules as non antags, if theres something miscreants can do its something crew can do. People who want to cause mishap will do it anyways because they know they can regardless of being miscreant, and people who dont just end up being confused. Its an idea that sounds really nice on paper but in practice it doesnt really end up working out well.
I have seen exactly one miscreant make a positive impact on the round by completing their objectives. It's really just a list of ideas, maybe put them in an in game book?
I don't see the point. Miscreants are just normal players but given a funny extra role. Have people been thinking they can be antag-lite when they get miscreant?
(10-18-2021, 06:33 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: I don't see the point. Miscreants are just normal players but given a funny extra role. Have people been thinking they can be antag-lite when they get miscreant?

Yes
Well then a simple(?) fix would be to have big red text near the miscreant text that says YOU ARE NOT AN ANTAG AND HAVE TO FOLLOW THE RULES. I was pretty sure there was a miscreant popup that said that already. Might be imagining that though
We already have a full time miscreant on the payroll:

The clown

The crew have and will just put on a clown outfit when they get up to mischief. And many times, they do mischief without the costume or the role. I'm in favor of this PR.
From the swatty side of things, miscreant status confuses people like they have full antag status. Any built in mechanic that causes that sort of confusion needs to go or be clarified, and I'm feeling like it needs to go for Miscreant.. I've actually heard of HoS(!?) doing miscreant objectives instead of their job, even.
I dont see the point of the role, other players end up doing stuff like that anyway regardless if they are or are not a miscreant