Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Going full PG
So concerning the new admin complaint about someone trying to sneak a nipple tweak removal patch through and other newer ban appeals where people are getting banned for writing Penis with crayons on the floor I have to ask a question.
Is Goon going to go full PG or something?
Theres a difference between being gross and making sexual remarks that make people uncomfortable and just doing a joke thing like writing penis on the floor or doing a nipple tweak that weve already had a big discussion about years ago if it was to be removed or not.
Just trying to figure out where Goon is at now. We going full safe for kids or are we going to be adults that make some dong jokes once in awhile?
By the way this is NOT a thread about complaining about how the servers are now or how bans are being given out. This is just a way to feel out peoples opinions about uhh like age rating or something.
The no sexual content rule has been around for many, many years. People get banned for writing "penis" on the floor if (A) they write and and logout before they can be talked to (B) they've broken the same rule and have been talked to previously.

"Making dong jokes" is not what separates children and adults. If anything, children make more of these jokes. I don't think any of this implies that (1) we're somehow going more "PG" (2) we were "non-PG" in the first place.

Also I would argue that having a nipple tweaking feature is gross and makes people uncomfortable.
I feel like we don't ban people for writing "penis" on the ground unless they do it repeatedly and refuse to stop. Ban text doesn't always include the full history behind a ban and some of those sorts of bans just look like. If they're just coming here to troll, then yeah, ban em, what value do they add to the community?

I don't think writing "penis" on the floor would really offend anyone. It's just like, annoying and greif. And we ban people who keep greifing for no reason. And that is particularly visible and easy to find greif.
(10-13-2021, 11:38 AM)Flourish Wrote: Also I would argue that having a nipple tweaking feature is gross and makes people uncomfortable.

It definitely makes me uncomfortable, to be honest :c
If you know someone who got banned for just "writing penis with crayon", feel free to privately message me with details and I'll review it internally, though on our end we have the benefit of knowing the person's past history and anything that they might have omitted from the appeals you read.

This is with exception of bans on people who are offline and who need to get the memo, which is done through a brief ban appeal that the ban reason usually explicitly states (admittedly an imperfect solution, though development of a better one has been an active consideration, with the situation itself still being avoidable by not breaking the rule and is not limited to this specific topic).
(10-13-2021, 11:42 AM)Hauntmachine Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 11:38 AM)Flourish Wrote: Also I would argue that having a nipple tweaking feature is gross and makes people uncomfortable.

It definitely makes me uncomfortable, to be honest :c

Yeah same, I'm glad it's no longer a thing.
Yeah the ban about writing penis on the floor was confusing because I've been here since 2011 and the no sexual content rule has probably been around for longer than that and Ive wrote penis on the floor many times over the years. Never got a talking to about it so seeing someone getting banned for it was strange to me.

As far as the nipple tweaking Im not really for it being removed. Its again been around for probably longer than me and everyone seemed fine with it till just recently. Did something change?
Tbh I never liked it and I've been playing since 2011 too. It was a joke singh made one time and put it in the game, and I wanted to leave it in because he wanted it. But it was always kinda gross probably mostly thanks to the sound and felt like a joke on the players by making it so easy to accidentally do by click-self when on grab intent. Not that I have a problem with playing jokes on the players ofc.
Honestly I assumed nipple tweaking had been removed ages ago.

also if ss13 was a movie it'd be nc-17 purely from violence
(10-13-2021, 12:05 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: As far as the nipple tweaking Im not really for it being removed. Its again been around for probably longer than me and everyone seemed fine with it till just recently. Did something change?

They didnt know the emote even existed, that's what changed. One of those things of old goon people forgot about and dug back up.
We tried to dig up the number of Penis bans there are and uhhh our ban search isn't strong enough. But there's only been a handful of appeals, and the surest one was in 2016. It's been enforced for a bit.
the thing about Areas Online is that unless you have like, a whitelist that people apply to before you let them in and you're very good about vetting 'em properly, you always run the risk that some 13 year old online could stumble into the scene. speaking as a former one, 13 year olds are NOTORIOUSLY bad at grasping larger cultural implications of things, and don't always have the ability to tell what's a joke and what isn't. stuff presented as a joke might just read to them as a Normal Thing People Do, and they'll parrot it to fit in and feel mature, and that can lead to a lotta bad very dangerous stuff for them down the line

tl;dr the way I see it it's, like, more of a safety measure than anything really
What if you live in a country where nipple-tweaking is a display of gratitude? Shaking my smh.
Think about a hypothetical: you’re at your job, you walk up to a coworker, and you just start nipple tweaking yourself. This would not only make your coworker extremely uncomfortable, but could be deemed as sexual harassment. Would you want that in modern goonstation?

It may not be the best comparison to put goon into the frame of a workplace, but for RP, many players get immersed, and a sad fact is that a lot of my RP friends have dealt with people being gross and sexually harassing them which takes a toll on their mental state and want to play the game.

I understand it’s concept in 2011-2012 goon, as the culture was very different back then, but having in code ways of “stimulating” yourself on display to others just didn’t feel right, as a lot of discord players had remarked
Yet we have a feature wherein one "unzips their pants and takes a piss on the floor." The floor potentially being the location of another player. That doesn't sound very PG to me, so I hardly think we're going that far.

It really just comes down to the fact that it serves no real purpose. With the aforementioned mechanic we could easily argue it creates urine which is an essential ingredient in several chemicals. Can't argue that for nipple-tweaking.