Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
wizard mobility spell nerfs
Pretty much all mobility spells for wizards are incredibly overpowered and impossible to counter with wizards getting acid-proof hats. Here are a few ideas I have to hopefully make some of them less overpowered.

Phase shift
-reduce time of spell
-make wizard still visible while in phase shift so you can track them down

Teleport
-add an action 4 second bar that can be interrupted by being attacked or moved

Blink
-same as above but only interrupted by attacks and lasts 1 second instead.

Doppelganger 
-make the spell release fake 8 wizards each going in random directions instead of being a copy of phase shift but slightly more confusing
I think phase shift already only lasts 3.5 / 5 seconds? Making it even shorter hardly seems reasonable.
But I could potentially see making teleport less good for escaping in the middle of combat, I can recall that being really annoying. (Same goes for the scroll though, I think?)
(10-12-2021, 06:20 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: I think phase shift already only lasts 3.5 / 5 seconds? Making it even shorter hardly seems reasonable.
But I could potentially see making teleport less good for escaping in the middle of combat, I can recall that being really annoying. (Same goes for the scroll though, I think?)

Scroll only has 4 charges so you cant spam the fuck out of it unlike the teleport spell so I personally dont think its very much of an issue.
The counter to teleport is gun. Especially the detective gun or faith, since they're kinetics.

After all, teleporting doesn't heal you from damage.

Anything that causes bleed, like circular saws or the deconstructor is also good.

Like, I can't count the number fofwizards I've seen teleport back to the wizard ship only to die of blood loss
The whole point of wizards is to get in and out quickly.
(10-12-2021, 10:06 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: The whole point of wizards is to get in and out quickly.

These nerfs would still allow that but not to the point where a careful wizard is almost impossible to catch. Having a wizard suddenly appear, cast magic missile and poly/cluwne/shocking grasp, and vanish within seconds leaving no room for chase isnt very fun.
Sounds like you are just wanting to make it harder for experienced wizards. I mean sure sticking it to nerds is fun but the nerds will just get use to the new mechanics and continue to be super wiz nerds.
(10-12-2021, 10:32 AM)unfunnyperson Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 10:06 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: The whole point of wizards is to get in and out quickly.

These nerfs would still allow that but not to the point where a careful wizard is almost impossible to catch. Having a wizard suddenly appear, cast magic missile and poly/cluwne/shocking grasp, and vanish within seconds leaving no room for chase isnt very fun.

This is kind of completely what goon wizard is based around and nerfing mobility and touching nothing else is a poor way of fixing that.
I am almost convinced this is a kneejerk in response to my wizard round 1-2 days ago, where you left because I kept evading you (this is despite you killing 2/4ths of the wizards present with dual laser guns 10 minutes in).

Wizards tend to be limited to loud gameplay (unless we're talking about peaceful wizards), and they need all the abilities they can get to survive the throng of crew after their heads with various tools/guns/chems.
These recommended changes would result in wizards who try to properly antagonize the crew dying off relatively faster.
Just FYI, i'm actually working on a rebalance to this and hoping to take away some of wizards starting ability power and infinite chaining with mobility spells like dopple and blink. Although its not aimed as a nerf as i'm changing a lot of spells to be more usable in general, whether its just simple cooldowns, removing some bs polymorph options for efficiency killing, or just changing how some function. An example is i'm making Clairvoyance a real spell that gives you temporary mk2 thermals effect to actually view people around you, so it has more tactical value for stuff in conjunction with phase shift, and making the clairvoyance function into an item on the wizards den.. probably just the magic mirror since it doesn't have much use right now for classic and it's only used for RP.

Like zaf said above, wizards are limited for being loud right now, and i'm hoping this can fix that a bit. Also trying to refurbish the shockwave spell that's been commented out to give some more combat abilities, since it has a fun premise that I like. Making animate dead a 30-40 second cooldown, but having it drop a brain/or making it turn the player into an actual ?mindslaved? critter that drops their brain on death, something of that sort. Also, by "nerf", its more shifting power. Magic missile is a 35 second cooldown, but now it shoots out 8 missiles, phase shift is 45 seconds now but lasts from 5-8 seconds, etc. Generally it puts some more CD on the mobility spells like dopplegangeer and blink, and cuts a bunch of CD off a large chunk of other spells and changes some of their effects to be less perma.

Also, i think this post is actually cause rosan fucking STOMPED 40 pop bombini playing mobility wizard solo, there was literally nothing anybody could do. To the point everybody, including me, were salty af in deadchat lol. Many people have complained about wizards, because the new meta is just not fun to fight against. They have enough power in their starting kit that they can just take mobility and utility spells and use their all access to get weapons to use.
I mean yeah wizards are going to be annoying if you dont have guns and you can't just chuck acid glasses at them to insta win. Thats just kinda how wizards are. They are meant to be annoying. Their whole job is based on annoying the crew.
Wizards are designed to be mosquitos, they wont hurt you as much as you feel hurt, however theyre annoying as hell and youll want to kill them and struggle too. Mobility is key to wizard and if your issue is this fundamental design feels bad to just nerf it instead of change it.
How do wizards "not hurt you so much" when they come in, stun you, fireball you intro crit, beat you to braindeath with their cthulhu staff, or almost instantly transform you into a critter for the rest of the round?
Yeah I think those "take one player out of the game" spells blow
(10-14-2021, 07:23 AM)Cal Wrote: Yeah I think those "take one player out of the game" spells blow

even if we remove these there is nothing stopping a wizard from obtaining sec gear and an egun and rampaging anyway with the gamer mobility spells