Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Identity Reversion
[This is probably not as big an issue as I see it but I'm making a post about it anyways, you can't stop me. Probably.]

At the moment, save for preparing ahead of time, there is no way to fix your identity once you've been SM'd/DNA stung/DNA scrambled/etc., which can be annoyingly problematic and even unfun, particularly on the RP servers and for those who enjoy playing AI, and especially when someone sleepypens everyone to be the same person.

A way to, at least slowly, revert your identity back to normal would be fantastic, either through a reagent or through Genetics (Genetics is the best option imo). This should be slow/inaccessible enough to not be able to fix several people's identities in minutes, but not slow/inaccessible enough to only be worth it if you're REALLY dedicated to fixing your name. You shouldn't necessarily be able to change your name to whatever you'd like - just reverting it to your roundstart identity.

I'd suggest having a storage bank filled with vials of everyone's blood, but this would just be changeling bait and make it entirely too easy for them to impersonate anyone they wanted. Maybe this would be a good and fun thing, I dunno. I suppose it's on the table.

Yeah you can take a blood sample roundstart and get cloned but like... who's gonna do that on the RP server anyways? I don't see any immediate issues with this being gamebreaking, but I'm not the most familiar with how the game is balanced - this would mostly just be a QoL feature for those who really do not like being Shitty Bill and didn't have the prerogative to for some reason take a blood sample as soon as the shift started, as funny as it is to see that gimmick for the 1,295th time.
How about when clone scanned, 5u of blood will be knicked from you and saved within the cloning console. This blood can be removed at any time by anyone with medical access.
Quote:I'd suggest having a storage bank filled with vials of everyone's blood, but this would just be changeling bait and make it entirely too easy for them to impersonate anyone they wanted. Maybe this would be a good and fun thing, I dunno. I suppose it's on the table.

I personally like the idea of having a high value target like a blood bank. Something that could require Head Access, the Captain's disk to unencrypt, or specifically the Medical Director's ID.

Could work in conjunction with Sec's forensics, where it pings the bank and pulls the blood sample stored under that registered crew member.

Pull a specialized vial out to restore identity or to stick in the cloner when there's no body to recover a sample from, or to synthesize blood to replace what they lost, or use for genetic/pathogen research
I actually quite like the idea of such a high-value target. Medical doesn't really have any - Security has the Armory, Engineering has the RCD and just a fuckton of tools, Science has... well, a LOT of things, but Medbay just doesn't have all that much in the way of valuable things beyond just stuff to keep you alive.
(10-10-2021, 01:01 PM)aft2001 Wrote: I'd suggest having a storage bank filled with vials of everyone's blood, but this would just be changeling bait and make it entirely too easy for them to impersonate anyone they wanted. Maybe this would be a good and fun thing, I dunno. I suppose it's on the table.
Blood doesn't translate to identities in and of themselves. Provided that changeling blood samples in there were "human" blood samples (i.e. not changeling blood) to represent the crewmember the changeling got aboard as instead of someone just opening it up, toasting with a flamethrower, and seeing what blood crawls out, this doesn't seem like a problem.

Sure, with stable mutagen and a bunch of monkeys they could get some identities for "free"; the time investment there is decently high, and if you want to impersonate someone who's still walking around more power to you.

(10-10-2021, 01:01 PM)aft2001 Wrote: Yeah you can take a blood sample roundstart and get cloned but like... who's gonna do that on the RP server anyways? I don't see any immediate issues with this being gamebreaking, but I'm not the most familiar with how the game is balanced - this would mostly just be a QoL feature for those who really do not like being Shitty Bill and didn't have the prerogative to for some reason take a blood sample as soon as the shift started, as funny as it is to see that gimmick for the 1,295th time.
Depends on the medical director/doctors. If I'm in medbay one of my characters takes samples from every corpse I can get my hands on, as well as sneak a little blood from anyone I can while treating them. The amount of gratitude you get for restoring someone because of your foresight is pretty cool.

It's not like medical staff have much to do at roundstart, a medical director could easily encourage their staff to do this, do as part of "routine clonescanning and record updating" or whatever.

Essentially, I'm ambivalent about this needing a change, but don't really see a huge downside to there being a change. I do think that rewarding proactive medical staff is good, however.
at the very least some way to change your voice would be a nice improvement, even if it involves standing in the dna scanner and having a geneticist mess with your body