Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update to BYOND 500
GorillaMyDreams Wrote:AS OF THIS MOMENT BYOND HAS FORCED THE SERVER TO UPDATE TO 500, YOU MUST DOWNLOAD THE LATEST VERSION IN ORDER TO PLAY. I AM SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS.
Its not so bad after you remove flash for explorer
It seems the ads occasionally run even when you sign up as an ad-free member. Byond just gives you a 'hide' button on top of them, which does fuck-all if a flash script decides to take a dump all over you.
Don Wrote:It seems the ads occasionally run even when you sign up as an ad-free member. Byond just gives you a 'hide' button on top of them, which does fuck-all if a flash script decides to take a dump all over you.

I have a membership, and I've never seen an ad from the BYOND client since I got it.
Good for you.

I've barely had 500 and a membership for 48 hours so I've no idea how consistent it is. It seems to be the connection window that it's happening in. I assume it's connect to the server right away like it usually does, but sometimes it hangs here: http://i.imgur.com/QozCdvT.jpg only instead of black like in the screenshot, you either get a few seconds of a video clip or a spinning, blue octagon while it's loading. I tried getting a better reference shot, but it skipped right to connecting to the server all the other times, and outside of proving that I'm not not talking completely out of my ass here, I don't have a whole lot of interest in delving deeper into this. The one ad I remember off the top of my head had some horse in it or something.

Regardless, blocking the URL made the window non-interactive with a prompt about security settings, so that seems to cover all circumstances.
I am a fr00b and it seems ads only play once per session for me :/
Please don't use adblockers, the ads generate money fo BYOND, which may shut down if left unfunded for too long. No BYOND means no SS13.
Hey, is that a rocket launcher?

Scary.
Hokie Wrote:Please don't use adblockers, the ads generate money fo BYOND, which may shut down if left unfunded for too long. No BYOND means no SS13.

*sigh* fine. :saddowns:
Hokie Wrote:Please don't use adblockers, the ads generate money fo BYOND, which may shut down if left unfunded for too long. No BYOND means no SS13.
Tom has stated that they will make sure that all games will be able to work without requiring a connection to byond if it IS going to shut down. Doesn't change the fact that blocking ads if you're not donating means your an ass, but yeah, SS13 won't die without it.

Hank Green says it right.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:-awful-
Hank Green says it right.

He's whining about people not willing to generate revenue for shit they most likely don't care about. I allow ads on Byond because I want to support it, not because it's their god given right to make money from me. If you have a service that is good enough that people are willing to give back to it then you're doing it right, if not then obviously you're doing something wrong. People shouldn't be forced to generate your income by watching a two minute ad just because they wanted to watch you talk about eggs for a minute on Youtube.

Pretty much if you have to force your consumer to do something they don't want to do in order for you to make money, then something is wrong with your system/the system you use. He is right though that websites and the such can't make money without ads as they are a free service, but good luck getting people to disable adblock just because farts.com might go out of business if you don't.
It's still better than in-game product placement.
Very true
You need to update to 501 now