Poll: My game starts lagging/becoming unplayable at this # of players
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
<80
9.09%
4 9.09%
80-90
11.36%
5 11.36%
90-100
36.36%
16 36.36%
100-110
13.64%
6 13.64%
>110
29.55%
13 29.55%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
add a 100 player cap to non overflow servers
title

past 100 players is near unplayable and it would hopefully give the overflow some use other than private playground for those on it
Which servers are the overflow servers?
I edited your post to add a poll, cuz I'm curious about player perception and experience of game performance and lag.
(10-08-2021, 03:38 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Which servers are the overflow servers?

Presumably, 2 and 4, though "overflow" isn't the official wording anymore.
Pop cap bad imo, also, my game runs fineish at whatever pop but more precision based stuff becomes really hard if something laggy like a flood happens at really high pop.
this is probably the correct reason a cap should be implemented, not because you personally feel the server is too crowded, but that your computer is complaining that the server is too crowded and the game becomes unplayable
[isa]
Do mobs in cryo still get the full life loop and stuff? If not, maybe we should have them not do that. Maybe enourage people to shove AFK crew into cryo.
IMO we should make use of pali's map-specific job limits more and also maybe start scaling the slots somewhat to server pop.

I enjoy 80 pop Heisenbee quite a bit since everywhere is generally populated, but that does seem to be the maximum you can reasonably say any map supports.
(10-09-2021, 12:51 AM)MetricDuck Wrote: Would a 100pop cap create a soft "clamp" on total server population where people would be more hesitant to join between 100 and 125pop? 🤔

Goon 2 to EU? Give a portion of the playerbase a reason to choose it.

Anecdotally, walking around at 140 pop a ton of people are staring blankly into space within 5 minutes of round start. Aggressive autocryo measures? Guardbuddies drag afk players to cryo??

EDIT: Add a "respawn in alternate universe" ghost spawn button that just redirects you to goon2 lol.

EDIT2: Increase mult of lifeloop on afk people?
It's not necessarily as simple as "goon2 to EU". We can't just magically move our servers to the EU. I think however, it would be interesting to freeze lifeloop on AFK people, and a direct to goon2 button while dead would help for sure.
Quote:EDIT: Add a "respawn in alternate universe" ghost spawn button that just redirects you to goon2 lol.
and a direct to goon2 button while dead would help for sure.
This is already a thing
100 player cap seems really controversial, for me personally, I would want at least some kind of cap because I just don't play a lot when there's a lot of people because it can just get exhausting when there is literally no calm ever.
oh god don't freeze the life loop on afk people they'd be unkillable short of gibbing
a 100 population cap would probably help because the game gets increasingly unplayable above 80-85 or so and when you're in the 100-110 range it's a slog to do anything
Personally, I think 100 solves the issue of most parties. 100 is still enough to get into the top 5 of the byond list consistently, and while its still laggy... it's not dysfunctional and unplayable. Generally, extended crashes from high pop kill off a large portion of players, as well. As for a pretty consistent issue of SSD/AFK people just crowding the halls, it'd be nice to have a feature to corral them into cryo, although coding it is another thing. And yeah, the maps can't really handle above 80, having 40 staffies may "work", but it's not very enjoyable tbh.