HoS Application - Hans
Usual character name: Hans Mann
BYOND username: Colossusqw
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Colossusqw

Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play: Gonstation 3 and 4

Reason for application:

I enjoy playing security, and shifts tend to go better when there's a HoS around to communicate and keep track of things. I like helping the team and i think i could do so well as HoS. My experience as security officer and as a player in general is greatly improved with a good Hos around and i want to be that HoS for the other players.

Security experience (300 word minimum):

My experience is almost all with the RP servers, so i will be writing this with the RP standards in mind.

I started playing security last year, although I didn't play it much until the start of this year. I enjoy playing security as it's a role that allows me to engage with people and interact with almost everyone in a shift. I play security on goonstation 3 and 4, so I’m used to RPing as sec, and i enjoy that very much. I try to look at security as a shift stabilizer, the team isn’t there to stop the antags or to preserve space law at all costs, It’s there to make sure everyone is having fun.

I’d consider myself on the more lenient side of security, as I always try to talk first and only tase or flash when needed. I try to communicate with antagonists and go into their gimmicks, as that is more enjoyable to everyone. I also try to interact with the crew in general, helping to stop silly disputes, giving out unholy amounts of tickets, or just hanging out at the bar and talking to folks. I try to be friendly and approachable as secoff, as that makes talking to people and making arrests much more enjoyable for everyone involved, good security is security you feel safe around and security you can trust.

One thing I value a lot as a security officer is communication and coordination. I always try to relay my actions to the team via radio and ask what is going on, since that helps a lot in keeping a shift under control. When someone asks for help or calls an officer to a certain place, I try to communicate that I'm going so the entire security force doesn’t end up trying to resolve the same issue, i communicate crimes i see or suspicious activity, arrests i make and ask for people's status to be changed. I find it extremely important for a security team to be well coordinated, it makes a difference of day and night having arrests and crimes be relayed to the whole team.

At the end what matters most for me playing as a security officer is people are having fun. I try not to search people on their first offence or if they haven’t been seen using any items in harmful ways, i avoid PDA searches as much as possible as they can severely damage someone’s antag shift. With that said I will not hesitate to stop someone who is going too far and making it harder for anyone else, repeat offenses and in general disruptive behavior has to be stopped at some point.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    One thing i think is mostly a problem with the newer officers, is using a lot of force on people to stop them without that force being necessary. When someone stops and tries talking to you, you should always talk back, and always use the least force necessary. Its also important to remember that searching for antag items in someone can severely stomp their antag shift, this is especially true with confiscating pdas, so a good idea is to wait until they use an item in a harmful way before going after it.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
          Once i was a traitor mechanic, i mindslaved the other mechanic, who turned out to be a traitor aswel, we bough 3 more deluxe mindslaves, mindslaved the quartermasters and someone who turned out to also be an antagonist, we then bunkered down in cargo, kidnapped 3 bystanders, and started making ridiculous demands like "10 billion credits" or "more bombs", the detective and a security assistant offered themselves as hostages so we'd release the civilians, we did that. Security tried breaking in, they failed, we sent them the security assistant's leg. They tried a second time, succeeded, and i was sent to interrogation. There 3 officers, the assistant, the detective and the head of security listened to me say "do you know how i managed to mindslave 3 people? The syndicate made a MINDSLAVE RAY" and i continued my story by saying our cargo coup was a distraction so the syndicate could use the ray to mindslave SS12, and soon centcom. The detective got drunk, started screaming about how evil i was, and after LOOC consent, attacked me and tried to kill me, having to be removed from the interrogation room.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
  • That day a cloud of smoke
    Befell the science wing
    The whole place cloaked
    In boiling hot fluorine

Oh shit Oh shit Oh shit
    The RD did cry
    Oh crap Oh crap Oh crap
    We’re all gonna die
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
  • Draw a picture!
  • [Image: cWN981u.png]
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
I was banned twice, once last year on account of firing at people on medbay and having gone to sleep before an admin could talk to me and once earlier this year for the duration of a day for a lowrp antag murder spree.
Hans is a very reassuring presence to have on the team. He is always a good officer and he always stay calm. I think the fact that he plays antag a lot gives him the knowledge to know how his actions affect the rounds, wich is a good thing. I think he would treat the antags fairly and we would get nice RP out of it.

+1 for me
Hans has always been a reliable and fun to play with, both as security, crew or an antag. I think they totally deserve this but I would advise you to try and show yourself from security's side for the moment. You have a +1 from me.
While I can't say so much about Hans' conduct or experience as an officer, (I think I've only been on the same security shift as you twice), I can attest to them as a player, and especially antagonist.

On a very recent shift, Hans was an antag bartender, ran a pretty nice gimmick, ran our sec team on a merry chase, and RPed it fantastically the whole way. Since I'm an officer that tries to talk first, Hans could have easily taken me out of the round multiple times, but used it as an opportunity to further the roleplay. It actually took me off guard somewhat, as the more recent antags I'm used to just try to kill me right away. I really like to see this in players, especially antags. It's all about creating and furthering a good story, and in this case, Hans always comes through on it.

If you play security anything like you did that antag round, (meaning same style, furthering the story, etc) then I see no reason not to give you a +1. I'm not sure if I can fully recommend you, strictly due to the fact that I just haven't played enough with you in security, but Hans as a player has my full support, because you're going to get some good some RP with him, no matter what job he's doing. I'll be more than happy to edit this post if I get more experience with you as an officer, but it's still a +1 from me.
Han's is fun to play with. And pretty good security officer. I think he would be a good HoS. +1
Its always a joy to see you in a security shift and I really enjoy seeing you as a antag. Your gimmicks are consistently creative and I trust you to be a good HoS
Hans is both good at machinal parts of sec, and is a good role player.
a few nights ago we were in a shift where even on extended, we had to deal with a lot of crime, during so he handled him self quite well.
+1
Very funney and very responsive a good +1 from me
You're well behaved as security - but HoS isn't about being a well behaved officer, it's about leadership.

It's when you're not an antagonist or an officer, just a regular player that concerns me. It's almost constant that you're making some kind of poison when you're a regular scientist, at the very least putting out there something that will cause security to be on their toes, things I have had to deal with like you outright selling sarin to antagonists. You almost seem to be unable to resist making destructive or dangerous weapons or poisons casually, round after round as either Bartender or Scientist. These end up in the hands of actual antagonists semi often, which is concerning.

Just the other day during Nations RP, before the initial meeting you commanded Science to start making flamethrowers (and apparently sarin?). This is absolutely in bad faith and in fact made one of the people under you so uncomfortable they reported it to Security.

HoS is a role that will absolutely push you to your mental limits. It's a role with a lot of power that needs to be handled responsibly. I think you perform well as Captain, but Captain doesn't have control over the whole of Security and how people's rounds go.

In summary, I currently do not recommend you for Head of Security... But I think if you show resilience, you will get there.
I do agree i go far as scientist, expecially when it comes to poison. And i did drop the ball in the Nations event. But i didn't command science to make sarin, one of our scientists did that on their own, nevertheless i agree that my conduct as scientist has been less than stellar at times. With that said, i don't engage with any of that when playing security or any role that isn't related to chemistry, and even then, i've been mostly avoiding science and when i play it i am also keeping in mind the way what i give out affects other players. I appreciate the callout since its deffinetly something i need to hear, but its something that i have been made aware previously and am trying to change.
I have like no negative experiences and he is talkative on comms
+1
Ive had only good experiences with Hans in security, but im aware there was some Not So Great things that happened this year involving them, from borderline self antaging to playing when you should be sleeping (i think you know what i mean hehe). BUT ive seen them taking one or two breaks, and seems that they have changed their behavior, and the bad parts are staying in the past. Its really nice to see them in the security team, as they are communicative and know how to keep it interesting, responding to antags as needed and using proper intervention, and chilling, checking and chatting with sec/others departments, resulting in some really nice dialogs. I still dont know about the coordination part, as ive not seem them leading security as a security member, but ive seem them on HoS-less rounds where they, as Captain, tried to keep up on what was going on on the sec side and tried to fill the HoS void (as far as you can do it as a Captain without abandoning the rest of the station). +1
Hey, we really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to mixed community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be January 20. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!