Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mech comp improvements
I think there are a number of components which should be upgraded, and I have an idea(s) for a new component. 
The association component should have an option to add a delimited list just like selection component.
Spray bottle, fire hydrant and anything else that sprays should be compatible with the Gun component.

A new component, a Scanner Module, works like an instrument player by accepting a handheld analyzer (health scanner, chemical scanner, device analyzer, etc) and  will output its value. Ideally the E-Meter would work inside this component as well. More details are in a comment below.

I'd also really like to see an Nor gate, which is identical to an Or gate, however it would send its output when enough of a timed duration has passed where the component has not received an input into either input slot. This component I have found in other games' logic systems, but i think to adapt it to Goon would require a "no input" time threshold, which conveniently makes for a nice feature. The Nor gate would have the following options:
Disconnect all
Set Time Threshold
Set Send Signal
I like these ideas as a MechComp nerd. I honestly feel like it's geared less towards being particularly helpful and more just being annoying; would be fantastic to have something silly like a purchase-enabled fire extinguisher. I'm not too sure how the analyzer would work; would it just try and scan whatever's on top of it? How do you indicate where you want it to 'click' in order to scan??
What I've always dreamed about for mech comp is essentially ciruit breadboards. Instead of the wiring components being large unweildy pieces that need to be wrenched to the floor, they would be tiny pieces that you put onto a PDA-sized breadboard. Once you've put the wiring components onto the breadboard, you would secure them with the soldering iron. Now you would have a PDA-sized machine that can accept inputs like normal and can connect to outputs like normal. Here's the killer feature however, you could scan those breadboards and create copies. You would be able to actually make complex machines that you could distribute to the crew.
Now that'd be REALLY nice. Mini MechComp! You could probably make a modified version of a Device Frame for this, allowing you to fit maybe 5 modules inside, given that you can print and mass produce these circuits. Issue is, what practical applications would these have anyways?? I dunno how I'd feel about these containing things like WiFi components either; they could just be an all access card to any locker, possibly, which seems difficult to balance around. I'd only want these in if there were some serious practical applications for such systems and I am too sick and tired to think of any right now.
(10-07-2021, 03:50 PM)gleb09 Wrote: What I've always dreamed about for mech comp is essentially ciruit breadboards. Instead of the wiring components being large unweildy pieces that need to be wrenched to the floor, they would be tiny pieces that you put onto a PDA-sized breadboard. Once you've put the wiring components onto the breadboard, you would secure them with the soldering iron. Now you would have a PDA-sized machine that can accept inputs like normal and can connect to outputs like normal. Here's the killer feature however, you could scan those breadboards and create copies. You would be able to actually make complex machines that you could distribute to the crew.

There are mechcomp cabinets, which serve similar (albeit larger and much less reproduceable) purposes.
Fire hydrant should definitely be compatible with gun components. For extra cool stuff, a heat detector for self automated fire alarming system would be nice!

One thing I tried to get working but could not do any real progress was visual teleport components, so that after teleporting you could see what goes at the other side of the teleporter, to nerf crusher traps without making the strat completely obsolete.
(10-07-2021, 03:57 PM)aft2001 Wrote: Now that'd be REALLY nice. Mini MechComp! You could probably make a modified version of a Device Frame for this, allowing you to fit maybe 5 modules inside, given that you can print and mass produce these circuits. Issue is, what practical applications would these have anyways?? I dunno how I'd feel about these containing things like WiFi components either; they could just be an all access card to any locker, possibly, which seems difficult to balance around. I'd only want these in if there were some serious practical applications for such systems and I am too sick and tired to think of any right now.

I think that given the HUGE nerf on Mechanics recently the breadboard idea would be a nice balance.
The breadboard could do powerful things if the mechanic is smart, it should be expensive from the Autofab, maybe 8 crystal, 8 sturdy, 8 conductive.

(10-08-2021, 08:10 AM)Vocalpocal Wrote: Fire hydrant should definitely be compatible with gun components. For extra cool stuff, a heat detector for self automated fire alarming system would be nice!

One thing I tried to get working but could not do any real progress was visual teleport components, so that after teleporting you could see what goes at the other side of the teleporter, to nerf crusher traps without making the strat completely obsolete.

With my idea of the Scanner Module, an atmospheric analyzer would be put into the Module, and then an associate component or signal check could catch the output.

(10-07-2021, 03:16 AM)aft2001 Wrote: I like these ideas as a MechComp nerd. I honestly feel like it's geared less towards being particularly helpful and more just being annoying; would be fantastic to have something silly like a purchase-enabled fire extinguisher. I'm not too sure how the analyzer would work; would it just try and scan whatever's on top of it? How do you indicate where you want it to 'click' in order to scan??

This is a detail which would be left to the coders, but I'm imagining that the scanner would be loaded, then the component would have the following options:
Disconnect All
Set output threshold
Set input tile

The component would work when an "activate" signal is sent, which will send a reading of any compatible elements as an output. If an atmosphere scanner were loaded, the details on the temperature and gases on the tile, if a health analyzer is loaded and a human is on the input square, it will output the health details of the person. If it is a cargo scanner, device analzyer, material analyzer, or spectro scanner, it will send details of the objects in either/both hands of a person standing on the input tile. All the scanners have similar logic, and it will only give a reading of the input tile
Bumping my own thread no shame