Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Emergency oxygen tanks too available? [Anti-QoL?]
[ise]
Opening a backpack box for the first time after the first 25 minutes of the round will guarantee an emergency oxy tank, crowbar and a breath mask spawn in it.

I think the real problem is we have a system that doesn't scale with server pop, so while on a low pop round you might feel like there are way too many oxy tanks, during high pop you will likely struggle to find one unless you know exactly where to look.

That said, I still wouldn't be against lowering their capacity, being able to easily survive on a full one for the entire round is kind of silly, these things aren't really that fun to manage though, having to stop by EVA or whatever to get more oxy sounds like it would get boring quickly.
Fixing breaches still too hard imo. Not worth nerfing oxygen tanks until we address the scale of airloss damage to the station that can be done with just a few broken windows.
idea: emergency tanks keep their current capacity but can no longer be inserted into canisters, instead you need to pay to fill them at the oxygen vendors.
(09-03-2021, 05:28 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: idea: emergency tanks keep their current capacity but can no longer be inserted into canisters, instead you need to pay to fill them at the oxygen vendors.

not a bad idea honestly
(09-03-2021, 05:28 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: idea: emergency tanks keep their current capacity but can no longer be inserted into canisters, instead you need to pay to fill them at the oxygen vendors.

Honestly i forgot that those oxygen vendors existed
(09-03-2021, 05:28 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: idea: emergency tanks keep their current capacity but can no longer be inserted into canisters, instead you need to pay to fill them at the oxygen vendors.

They are far to expensive to use, at the least the last time I used them.
Think its around 1000 credits to fill to full, which for any job besides staffies thats trivial cash.
(09-04-2021, 02:41 AM)Ikea Wrote: Think its around 1000 credits to fill to full, which for any job besides staffies thats trivial cash.

What?  I can at most buy 2, maybe 3, and sometimes just 1, 200-credit gene mods in a single round, and have other expenses like food when theres no chef around.  As SecOff.  Even when I play MDir, 1000 is still not a trivial cost.
1000 credits is brutal for pretty much anyone who isn't a head when the payroll budget is consistently empty by minute 15.
But I need all my money to buy propuffs.
Wage above staffie gives you 300 credits, and you spawn with 300 credits. You just need 3 wages if you arent staffie clown or mime to get over 1k. This of course doesnt account for latejoining.
Your also assuming the station budget doesnt go dry, or that the emergency tanks might be needed before 3 wage payouts can even happen. And that you won't need to buy something else in the meantime.
Sometimes as HoP I'll charge 500 credits for an ID change. It will sometimes take a staffies 10-15 minutes to get the money. Unless you're exploring the debris field or gambling, cash is pretty hard to come by
(09-03-2021, 01:25 PM)MetricDuck Wrote: When was the last time you wore an air-tank as a non-werewolf?

Between the lockers, the chance of spawning with one in inventory (is it guaranteed if latejoin?) and z2/z3 I have the impression that emergency tanks aren’t really rare anymore - if you want one and know how you can always locate one quickly (and without even hassling Cargo).

With the increased number of tools to deal with repressurisation (and several chemistry nerfs - best cure is prevention) fixing breaches has theoretically never been easier.

Alternate suggestions to reducing availability - prevent them from being overfilled to 1013? Prevent them being refilled at all?! It’s not really an emergency tank if it’s on for 20 minutes at a time.

Do you agree they’re too common? Do you disagree and think they’re in a good place? Do you think balancing scarcity is a non-starter that only affects non-powergamers? Do you feel that oxygen tank management just gets in the way of actually having fun? 

Interested in hearing people’s thoughts!!

Obviously nerfs are bad and the devils way of inching us down closer to hell so think of this as a proposed buff to antags that cause breaches.

Terrible idea. Just had an Oshan round and immediately thought of this.

To do Oshan engineering, you need to be in the water. Unless you dumped out your entire toolbelt, you'd need your tools, and a backpack.
In the backpack, you'd need a vent capture unit (I usually just take all of them, since i'm mostly a solo engineer when i'm on), a dowsing, a shovel, a box of wires, because a single spool is not enough to get back to the station and you drag the stomper behind you. So four items at its base, and honestly usually the full backpack. So, unless you want to make a bunch of trips, or dump out your toolbelt and hope its all there when you get back, no.

Air is enough of an issue honestly. Before the change at the 20m marker where you got a free air tank, it was already kinda crazy to get oxygen going.

If you want to nerf oxygen tanks, fix how fast you can repair atmospherics. We don't have an atmos department, and the piping on some stations is just insane (Or non existant) for the air hookups. You can dump a high volume can into a vacuum that has no gaps, and it'll just be a literal pocket cloud of air for half the shift, unless you manually drag the can around. Fix this first, then think about choking people to death because they don't have a tank.