Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Adds a new robotics category/organ, Augmentations!
[Balance] [Feature]
## About the PR
This PR adds a new type of organ for robotics to play around with, Augmentations.
Fundamentally, Augmentations are meant to be a risk/reward type system, with them giving an upside, along with some form of a downside.
TThey can be installed in a person by: Get them in surgery mode, use a saw on help intent on head, then use a scalpel on help intent on head, then install the module. To remove, follow the previous steps, except that you need to use surgical scissors after the saw + scalpelling.

Augmentations Added:
Note: Stun Resist Augment used to be here, it got axed, I wasn't really happy with it at all.

- Pain Reducer: The user gets a permanent -35 health deficiency adjustment, meaning they will take an extra 35 damage before starting to be slowed from pain. (Salicylic does -25, morphine -60) However, the cost is that the user is completely unaware of their own health, meaning the indicator in the top right gives no information on your health. On being destroyed, the health deficiency adjustment becomes +45, meaning the user will be as slow as if they had only 55 health remaining. In addition, the Pain Reducer reverses in pain levels as well, where now you have a chance to be paralyzed for a short time on taking damage, the chance scales with damage.
Can be produced at a robotics fabricator, cost is: 8 Cry-2, 5 Met-2, 5 Con-2, 3 Ins-1, 5 uqill.

- Stamina Enhancer: The user gets +200 maximum stamina, at the cost of -6 stamina regen and -20 max health. When destroyed, the stamina bonus is lost, and the now-faulty Augmentation thinks you're in the negative for stamina, continuously producing bath salts and methamphetamine endlessly, at the cost of your blood. Needless to say, it will be very lethal very quickly.
Can be produced at a robotics fabricator, cost is: 15 Cry-2, 5 Met-2, 5 Con-2, 8 Ins-1, 5 plasmastone.

- Wireless Interactor: The user gains the ability to interact with objects at range, akin to cyborgs. However, there are some caveats with this. They can only interact with objects, so no remotely attacking mobs, and items cannot be touched, so remotely picking up items won't work either. The downside of this augmentation is that, like borgs, The user gains a form of flash vulnerability. When flashed, you take 25 stamina damage regardless of if you're flash-proof or not, along with to any additional stamina damage/disorient from the flash itself. In addition, your ranged interaction abilities are disabled for 15 seconds after being flashed, and finally, the augment takes 10 damage each time it's flashed. On breaking, the ranged touch is disabled, the flash stamina damage is upped to 40, and nanomachines are leaked into the user at 0.5u / life cycle.
Can be produced at a robotics fabricator, cost is: 8 Cry-2, 5 Met-2, 5 Con-2, 3 Ins-1, 10 telecrystal.

- Surgery Assistant: The user gains a slightly better version of the Medical Training trait for surgery, in addition to having an Organ Ability allowing them to get a guide to any surgery. The guide will tell someone the steps to remove whatever organ they chose, waiting for them to complete the current step before giving them the next. All in all, this is meant to be a good Augment for doctors, and especially new ones. The downside of this Augment is that you are completely unable of doing self surgery (suturing excluded). When the Augment is destroyed, you will also be unable to do surgery with less-than capable tools (glass shard instead of scalpel, plastic fork instead of saw, and so on).
Can be produced at a robotics fabricator, cost is: 7 Cry-1, 5 Met-2, 5 Con-2, 3 Ins-1, 5 cobryl.

- Neural Jack: Traitor roboticist 7 TC item. The user gets a pile of buffs and abilities, as detailed below. (Absolutely not a Matrix reference)
  - Passive: You can parry attacks while blocking, meaning that the attacker will be shoved to the ground with 4 seconds of knockdown. The odds of a parry happening start at 20% per attack (an extra 10% is added for unarmed attacks), and increases by 7.5% for each attack not parried while blocking. The parry chance decays at 2.5% per life loop, and is reset to 20% on a successful parry.
  - Passive: You have a better version of Matrix Flopout, giving you 0.5 seconds of bullet dodging when flipping at a 12.5 stamina cost.
  - Passive: Your kicks do an extra 2 damage.
  - Passive: You gain an extra 50 stamina, and +5 stamina regen. (Iffy about this one, but testing shows that you lose most of your stamina pretty quickly)
  - Ability: You can execute powerful "combo" attacks based on what intents you attack someone with. The "combo" list decays after 10 seconds, or a switch of targets.
      - Heavy Punch: Grab -> Harm, send someone back 3 tiles, dealing around 15 brute damage, and stunning them for 2 seconds.
      - Leg Sweep: Grab -> Disarm -> Harm, knock a person onto the ground for 7 seconds, then staggering them for 4 seconds once they get up.
      - Rapid Kick: Harm -> Harm -> Disarm -> Disarm, kick a person 4 times for 12 damage per kick, before applying a 2 second stun.
      -  Fling Pin: Grab -> Grab -> Disarm -> Harm, you and the target go 3 tiles in the direction you were hitting them, before the user instantly locks them in a pin.
      The above 4, along with a way to enable/disable combos, are in a pair of organ abilities attached to the Neural Jack.
      On being destroyed (The Neural Jack only takes 10 damage from EMPs), the combo abilities and parrying are disabled, the stamina boosts are removed, and the Neural Jack will leak 2 welding fuel, 2 lithium, and 2 uranium per life loop into the body, in addition to any further EMPs adding an extra 10 of each.

## Why's this needed? 
It'd be nice for robotics to have more voluntary organs they can shove into people, possibly giving them some business once in a while. In addition, it provides yet another sink for materials, requiring cooperation from mining, especially on the front of getting electrum. Also, it gives the player some agency in how they want to modify their character, if at all, unlike regular (cyber)organs.

I'll most likely be updating the github PR more often than here, but I'll still try to update here as well. In addition, if anyone has ideas for new Augmentations, I'd love to hear them.
This seems very interesting and would definitely make roboticist more fun. Stun resist enhancement seems like it has too harsh of a downside in my opinion. Random 3 second stuns are horrible and not worth the 30% resistance in the slightest.
Also not a fan of the block system for the neural jack being rng based, I’d rather it be time based of when you started blocking.
Flying pin ability seems horrifyingly overpowered, instantly being able to pin someone from an aggressive grab would allow you to win any 1v1 and ambush anyone with ease.
The neural jack should have some sort of visual indication that someone has one considering you can grab someone(namely sec/hos) then instantly pin and strip headset for an incredibly easy kill without the victim being able to react.
I like the idea. I don't really like neural jack that much. I would be more inclined to like a stealth or sabotage oriented mod than more stuff to kill with.

Neural Enhancement and Aptitude Technology (NEAT)
the concept of combos in the neural jack is interesting, although maybe id increase the price a bit for it
as for the rest of it, i like it.
Surgery steps seem weird to me, but that's probably more the fault of surgery being surgery than you having a bad idea.

I'm quite fond of the idea in principle, but...

I'm fairly disappointed that all the ideas on offer seem to be entirely combat oriented and largely passive buffs as well. The pain reducer seems like the best bet for nerds, since fixing brain damage is not all that hard. I couldn't tell you about how the neural jack's efficacy but it sounds like something that's pretty difficult to get used to (possibly ending up as a trap for newbs). While I'm not sure how hard it'd be to pull off a combo, I'm guessing that the more experienced players will grow to recognize the combos and maybe disengage before you can finish them.

I'd have liked to see some ideas that were silly and fun (and some maybe not necessarily useful) rather than it just being about the Serious Combat and the Killing All The Time that I personally don't care much for. Feels a bit like it's treading the standard cyberpunk brain-augment types rather than doing interesting things with the space it creates.
batelite summed up a lot of my feelings. I really, really like the concept of performance-enhancing roboticist augmentations, but I think the initial selection is quite scarce (and honestly don't seem worth the negatives in a lot of instances).

Contrast them to a lot of cyberorgans. Give the miner a cyberappendix so the chemical drip fixes up their various scrapes. Give the chef cyberlungs so they can breathe in their hypoxic freezer. Give the staffie overclocked intestines so they can properly experience The Monster, then give them a cyberheart to ward off the inevitable cardiac failure.

There's plenty of reasons you'd want cyberorgans just to improve your quality of life, although the problem with organs is that you're stuck theming around the purpose that organ normally serves. Augmentations get around this, which is brilliant! But.... then they're just all weird combat effectiveness perks. Stun resist, notably, is exclusively useful for combat situations while making you totally inept at combat due to random knockdown. Pain Reducer seems like it's not worth the largely silent death clock it puts on you, either.  That just leaves Stamina Enhancer, which I would say could be useful for sprinting around the station, but even that's not true because your regen is crippled. I just don't get it...
suggestion: what if the link gave you the ability to interact with mechanical objects from a distance like borgs
Perhaps the downsides can be removed but a person has a limit, kinda like genetics stability. If you overload your body with augs, including limbs and cyberorgans, there should be a severe penalty and possible death if overloaded enough.
I like the new ranged interactor a lot. It's a clearly desirable and helpful utility no matter who you are, with a reasonably common downside (and easy counter).

It also made me consider something: I like the downside because it's something that, in a lot of instances, someone else must impose upon you. People using brain wi-fi to make toast at a distance or whatever aren't going to get inconvenienced by flash vulnerability, which I think is a good direction to go for these sorts of thing in general. The downsides should be punishing mostly in situations where you're abusing your cool toy as opposed to merely possessing it, like how a nerd with a juiced cyberheart can speed around the station all they want, but it's not until they start causing trouble that they'd ever have an EMP grenade chucked at them.
(08-29-2021, 02:27 AM)BatElite Wrote: Surgery steps seem weird to me, but that's probably more the fault of surgery being surgery than you having a bad idea.

I'm quite fond of the idea in principle, but...

I'm fairly disappointed that all the ideas on offer seem to be entirely combat oriented and largely passive buffs as well. The pain reducer seems like the best bet for nerds, since fixing brain damage is not all that hard. I couldn't tell you about how the neural jack's efficacy but it sounds like something that's pretty difficult to get used to (possibly ending up as a trap for newbs). While I'm not sure how hard it'd be to pull off a combo, I'm guessing that the more experienced players will grow to recognize the combos and maybe disengage before you can finish them.

I'd have liked to see some ideas that were silly and fun (and some maybe not necessarily useful) rather than it just being about the Serious Combat and the Killing All The Time that I personally don't care much for. Feels a bit like it's treading the standard cyberpunk brain-augment types rather than doing interesting things with the space it creates.

Personally, I'd love to see more cyborg limb/organ and implant interactions.

Like, specific implants that link to specific organs. For instance, an implant that lets you tweak the performance settings on your heart and lets you do stuff like overclock it for faster stamina regen.

One for your legs that improves their ability to rebalance the body and reduce slipping.

Or a cyborg arm mod that lets you buff shine things for a sparkling clean look
Eh, I really dislike how most of this is combat based with the augmentations instead of utility. It makes me think people would either power game for them or they would be a rare sight to see or just not worth the effort, considering the decently expensive with them requiring the help of miners and the downsides really being harsh. Like robotocist should really get more options, but these are just passive buffs as well as huge downsides rather than letting you do something interesting. Like the wireless interactor is good, its mostly for utility porpuses and a decent upgrade to the normal spaceman even with the downsides.

With the neural jack got no opinion, it doesn't excite me but neither do I dislike it. Just gives similar vibes to being a wrestler or having the belt, but still cool overall.

Overall, I wouldn't dislike all of this being added, but it wouldn't be really anything interesting or new overall. Other than the wireless interactor, that thing I would enjoy even with the downsides.
Stun Resist: Seems neat. I’ll echo the same concerns about knockdown but I believe you are already re-evaluating aspects of this.

Pain Reducer: This is probably one of my favorites besides wireless interactor.  The concept of pain editors is neat.

Stamina Enhancer: Changing out the -35 health for the ability to keep doing things at the cost of health would be neat.  That way the risk and reward are baked in.

Wireless Interactor: I like the benefit of this.  Wish there was a non-combat downside.  Like it has a chance of giving you a headache (stun) every so often or when used.

Neural Jack: I don’t like the name of this.  Jack makes me think there is a physical device, like if you were wired to your PDA or something. In fiction this seems like some kind of wired reflexes + skill recorder hybrid, I like the idea of it giving you the shakes if you have full stamina.

I have some mixed feelings about them all having such crazy downsides for them breaking.  The susceptibility of individuals to EMP for these is almost like some kind of baked in anti-power gamer valve….

Hooray transhumanism!  I think some sort of visual cue or other indicator might be beneficial to allow Sec to respond accordingly and provide feedback as to why players are able to do unusual things.
(08-31-2021, 03:43 PM)Azrun Wrote: Hooray transhumanism!  I think some sort of visual cue or other indicator might be beneficial to allow Sec to respond accordingly and provide feedback as to why players are able to do unusual things.

They currently show up on examining the person, but I'll look into possibly disclosing the type of augment it is on examine if the person doesn't have clothes with the COVER_NECK flag.

Edit: did this ^
I am also not a fan of most of these augments are combat based. It seems like they'll just get rushed and used by more experienced players (like how cyberorgans are) when they know they'll be getting in a lot of scuffles, and won't have much use otherwise.

More importantly, I think it's crucial that these augments can be clearly identified by the common crewmember. I am already not a fan of how "invisible" things like cyberorgans or certain genetic powers are, and I really don't want to add onto that with a new class of items.
(09-02-2021, 11:36 AM)Flourish Wrote: I am also not a fan of most of these augments are combat based. 

I admit, this was something that had a lot of precedence at first, but after feedback, I'm changing my development direction with (see the latest 2 augments).

(09-02-2021, 11:36 AM)Flourish Wrote:  It seems like they'll just get rushed and used by more experienced players (like how cyberorgans are) when they know they'll be getting in a lot of scuffles, and won't have much use otherwise.
I acknowledge that the combat ones will inevitably be powergamed, but I was hoping that the combat augment's downsides and fairly lethal on-destroyed penalties would create a system, where you'd take one if you wanted to be better in one field, at the cost of others.

(09-02-2021, 11:36 AM)Flourish Wrote: More importantly, I think it's crucial that these augments can be clearly identified by the common crewmember. I am already not a fan of how "invisible" things like cyberorgans or certain genetic powers are, and I really don't want to add onto that with a new class of items.

Read the 2 forum comments above mine.

------

New addition: Surgery Assistant Augmentation. This augment gives you a slightly better surgery-focused version of the Medical Training trait. In addition, you can use the augment's organ ability to choose a surgery to do, in which case it will give you a guide on how to do the surgery, one step at a time. More details can be found in the PR/main post on the forums.