Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Bring back IRC and add a bridge to the Discord
Like how Hardfought links #hardfought on Libera.Chat to the #nethack-hardfought channel on Discord. Goonstation used to have an IRC that has without notice gone down. Any chance this could be done?
It went down WITH notice like 4 years ago, dude!
Technically totally possible, HackMUD community does similar.
As much as I'd love the freedom of IRC from Discord, I don't expect it to happen.
You're serious?
Ain't gunna happen. Discord nerds have a burning hatred for IRC
!headsurgeon cyberTripping
https://xkcd.com/1782/
(08-26-2021, 02:52 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Ain't gunna happen. Discord nerds have a burning hatred for IRC
That's pretty weird. The two can coexist with a bridge pretty seamlessly. Shame.
Idk that anyone has a hatred for IRC. If anything I hate discord cause it's so shit and has shit moderation tools. But I don't think that adding back the IRC will really give us any benefit over what we have now.

Also, as emily said, the irc was shut down with a very long notice like 3 or 4 years ago, come on.
We even had an irc bridge for a bunch of time. Alas as much as I love the Internet relay chat protocol, it's time to move on.
BURNING
HATRED
Goon is one of the only reasons I ever used Discord I'd definitely appreciate a bridge
I'd say I'd be more likely to use IRC than Discord but after 15 years mIRC finally figured out that the 30-day trial period had ended and won't let me use it anymore.
(09-03-2021, 12:36 AM)penny Wrote: Goon is one of the only reasons I ever used Discord I'd definitely appreciate a bridge
Discord wants me to give them a phone number now so I haven't been able to use it for a while. It's a real shame. I enjoyed talking to goons on the Discord.

(09-03-2021, 02:47 AM)Mouse Wrote: I'd say I'd be more likely to use IRC than Discord but after 15 years mIRC finally figured out that the 30-day trial period had ended and won't let me use it anymore.
I've been using HexChat on Windows pretty painlessly.