Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Copy Kendo stances to more weapons
[isg]
This is something I've wanted to do for a while but haven't ever got around to. If we ignore my extreme laziness, my biggest issue is that I think the current Kendo system of having 4 stances for blocking/parrying is too many and adds too much complexity to add it to legitimate combat. Not to mention the fact that it adds 3 more in-hand sprites fo every item we want to add it too, and the sprites are critical.

I wanted to lower the number to 2 stances plus the normal BLOCK action we have. I think two could work best for normal combat because it's not nearly as complex as having 3 (or 4) where you have to play a rock-paper-scissors(-spock). Really I just haven't spent enough time trying to figure out a good solution. But I feel pretty strongly that the current implementation of 4 stances is too much to port outside of the mini game that is kendo.

The goal, or my goal at least, was to make katana/csword fights be more exciting. Maybe even just altering how blocks work on swords/sabers in general would work best, since blocking is a system used in regular combat and not far outside the norm.
I was thinking rather than port the kendo moves to every weapon, to make a special traitor weapon (7tc like the others) that grants extra damage or maybe applies a stun if you get it right, or even maybe dismembers them if you get a good disarm on them. Just as a bonus for mastering the kendo system. It would also see more people play kendo as to master it for later use.