Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Mining and the Rock Box
Auto menders are changed, and like the change that hit engineering, a lot of folks are suddenly much more dependent on other departments compared to before. Elecrum is in demand, and medical now relies on Mining and QM to get things done.

Currently 90% of your miners will mine, walk to their tiny outpost room, dump their satchels into the Material Processor that is directly tied to instantly deposit into their mining fabricator, and then call in a new asteroid with the magnet. Their Fab will be absolutely bloated by shifts end, and no one will benefit from their materials. You'd be lucky to even speak to that miner on that shift, because he can be in the cold darkness of space zooming around in a jetpack the whole time.

Move the Rockbox to QM, and maybe remove the Material Processor. its a neat little item, has a cool animation where it forges and dumps like a little crucible, but it feeds the fab, and thats not helpful to the station. The Rockbox should be the central hub for all of the materials on station, and it should be able to send ore directly to fabricators stationwide. Each department should have its own small materials storage for fabs, and each department head should be able to allocate their storage with the materials they require. Every Fab in that department draws from that same storage. Each time materials are moved, the Rockbox in QM should be able to show a History of whats happened, like their orders, so that they can track who and what was removed.

Say the Medical Director needs Electrum and other materials in medical. He goes to the Materials Storage say, next to the fab, or in his office. And QM has made electrum, and even put it into the Rockbox (Meaning, Rockbox could also have Matsci combined materials, not just Rocks and ore). He orders 2 Electrum for 20 materials for his department total. It shows it was moved by John Johnson, to Medical, amount 2 units. Maybe since its QM, it even cost money, drawn directly from that departments budget, so, research. The MD now has what he needs, and mining hasn't eaten it all.

QM is working, and they notice that the price of Cobryl has spiked. They go over to the Rockbox, draw some out, and ship it out making fat stacks. They then take that cash and go to Gragg, and buy some Uqill Nuggets to put in the rockbox, and then send that over to their Material Storage. Now QM can build things, but mining can also now build their Industrial armors.

Mining also has to consider their satchel sizes. Once they fill up a satchel, they can't just walk to feet and dump it out, they have to report back to QM, maybe have a conversation "Hey I found some gold, maybe setup some Electrum for Medical, also some Molitz B for Engineering. Maybe buy me a Anti Toxins medkit and ship it over, I think i'm glowing?". Then they dump everything into the rockbox, and go back to doing what they were doing.

TLbig grinR. Move Rockbox to QM, give each department a materials storage unit controlled by a head of staff.

Other things. Make the Rockbox dump all its materials when broken. Currently it deletes everything.
Makes Erebite more dangerous, might have someone come in, dump an erebite bag, and accidentally blow up QM.
Maybe make Non-General fabs require department access to run, so that one staffie doesn't print 100 scalpels and delete a departments material storage.

Opinions, ideas.
Quote:The Rockbox should be the central hub for all of the materials on station, and it should be able to send ore directly to fabricators stationwide.
It already does this. hope this helps
(08-21-2021, 03:34 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote:
Quote:The Rockbox should be the central hub for all of the materials on station, and it should be able to send ore directly to fabricators stationwide.
It already does this. hope this helps

Am aware, meant it in a way that mining bypasses this because they just dump it into the material processor and... guess what its not the central hub for all materials on station, because the mining fab just ate it all.
questionable idea: make it so mining fabricators cannot have materials inserted directly, they are required to put materials into the rockbox to stock their own fabricators.
i cant say i play mining super often but every time i do, my fellow miners and I all use the rockbox. i barely see mining fabs used other than for mechanized boots and indie armor, maybe bigger ore pouches, and the nanofab for bohrum hammers/drills. after these mining essentials are made i just see the rockbox get loaded up the rest of the round, maybe with the exception of refining some ore to dick around with matsci rather than doing our jobs.

not saying youre wrong, just elaborating on how my experiences contradict the original post.
Rockbox usage is heavily server dependant, much more common to see it being used on RP then see it being used on classic.