Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Unpopular opinion? I'm not a fan of the 90 minute round on RP
Maybe it's just me but having the shuttle call at 90 minutes, at least for me, feels like TOO short of a round. I've often felt that 2 hours on particularly productive rounds cut things short. But 90 minutes is even less, and this just feels, at least for my personal tastes, way too short for a proper RP round. Am I in the minority in this?
Wait, did they change it from 2 hours to an hour and a half?

Why?
for reasoning and similar, see #5768
---
Having played a few shifts with the new time, I personally like the 90 minute timer. While yes, you can feel a bit squeezed, I do feel that people can adjust to this, and if people really want to stay, they can recall the shuttle.
(08-20-2021, 06:29 PM)Zonespace Wrote: for reasoning and similar, see #5768
---
Having played a few shifts with the new time, I personally like the 90 minute timer. While yes, you can feel a bit squeezed, I do feel that people can adjust to this, and if people really want to stay, they can recall the shuttle.

Who knows, maybe I'll like 90 better and I just need time to adjust, and I'm merely feeling the completely human aversion to change. But at the moment I don't feel like it gives us enough time.
I do have mixed feelings about this
on one hand, There are rounds were nothing is happening and it is dragging on.
there are some rounds were it is needed more time.
Maybe instead of it just make it a vote call at 90 and every 30 minutes after.
I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I personally have been getting a bit exhausted with playing in two hour long rounds. Two hours is a pretty long time commitment, and it can feel exhausting to play for that long, especially for a job such as security. On the other hand, 90 minutes can definitely cut into stories ending soon. Just earlier, we had to recall the shuttle at 90 because we were involved in having a presidential election/debate RP that most the server was involved with (props to President Lovebird for winning the election!).

I don't know what the answer is. Sometimes, 90 minutes is just right. Other times, it's not and we need more time.
I would rather people recall for more time than feel obligated to continue with a round that is dragging on.

Extending a shift is way easier to justify in RP than cutting it early, so before, people tended to suffer through the full two hours out of an obligation to their in game jobs. That isn't what I like to see.

If you're recalling for more time and that's working for you, then that's a successful outcome to me.
Something to note when taking into consideration of the time cost of playing around, is that it’s not just a flat 90 or 120 minutes, there was always the additional pre-round, ETA, Shuttle time, and Post-round. To visualize that some, I’ll do some math.

3 minutes of pre-round + 90 minutes of round + 6 minutes of ETA + 2 minutes of shuttle + 1 minute of post round =

102 minutes total for a 90 minute shift,

This is compared to 132 minutes total for a 120 minute shift.

I think, while the round time can be tweaked infinitely to players liking, the 6 minutes of ETA and 2 minutes of shuttle could be tweaked to have a larger effect.

While I try to RP while waiting for the shuttle and while I’m on the shuttle, it can feel like the most waiting around part of the round, especially on the shuttle when people decide to be immersion breaking and just spam fart for 2 minutes straight, or just randomly attack others with no RP...
The ETA time is still round time. The only thing that is different is that people know the shuttle is on the way. I never head to Escape as soon as the shuttle call happens, and honestly I don't know why anyone would.

I try to talk to people and continue RP on the shuttle. Some people are nuisances on it, but admins have been cracking down on things like hotboxing the shuttle. I sometimes use LOOC to remind people that the round is still active on the shuttle, and OOC behavior isn't ok until the end of round message pops up.
honestly I'm a really big fan of the change to the 90 minute autocall! I came out of so many shifts on rp feeling drained from attempting to lengthen story threads to fit the 2-hour Standard that developed on morty, and honestly 90 minutes feels so much better and more natural for that. you can always hold a recall vote to lengthen a round, but people tend to yell at you if you try to call the shuttle early for any reason other than catastrophe, so I think making the default shorter is a really helpful move on that part as well
Like I said, maybe I just need to adjust, and I may actually like it. We'll see! Regardless, thanks to the devs for their work on our server.
So far, I'm liking the 90 minute rounds. And like the new tradition of doing a vote to recall it. Some rounds do just have all the action then its just quiet as we wait for the shuttle. While somethings may take longer then 90 minutes, people will usually recall then call it once the whatever it was is finished. It's nice.
It's been a week, and in my opinion, things are feeling a lot better.
I agree with Emily. 90 minute rounds have honestly felt super comfy for me. I've noticed that I'm not feeling burnt out like I was before with 120 minute rounds. I haven't really had any time where I've felt like we needed to extend the round for an ongoing story beyond the very first 90 minute round I had.
I'm liking the new round time.  If things are going slowly, the less waiting needed to end the round is very welcome, and if the round is worth keeping going, we usually vote for the recall.

Even average-interest rounds tend to peter out after the 90 minute mark.