Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make flamethrowers more powerful against blob, space kudzu
Right now, flamethrowers aren't very good weapons. I think there's a lot of interesting potential there. I don't think they should be too powerful, given that they're easy and quick to make, but I think they'd make a great counter to blobs, space kudzu, and situations where you want a room-cleaning weapon.
Flame throwers are EXTREMELY Broken. I say instead of having just blocks of flame come out of them, we have arcs of fire that light/destroy anything on the tile it touches. They would have to take a shit load of plasma to use and have small flame arcs to be balanced, but clearing out rooms full of shit would be a lot easier. Maybe have a non-traitor flamethrower have a 3 space arc and have a traitor version have a 5 or 6 space arc?
epicdwarf Wrote:Flame throwers are EXTREMELY Broken. I say instead of having just blocks of flame come out of them, we have arcs of fire that light/destroy anything on the tile it touches. They would have to take a shit load of plasma to use and have small flame arcs to be balanced, but clearing out rooms full of shit would be a lot easier. Maybe have a non-traitor flamethrower have a 3 space arc and have a traitor version have a 5 or 6 space arc?

What?

Who?

HUH?!

Flamethrowers are THE most underwhelming thing in the entirety of the damn game: fill your plasma tank to full with hellgas, you'll get two spurts at most for flames more easily had (and longer lasting) via a welding fuel fire. If anything, engineers have no fun with their welding torch toys over their Toxins counterparts. Hell, the flamethrowers take little into account of the gas they ARE throwing, whether it be plasma or superheated CO2.
That's exactly what he's saying. He doesn't mean broken like "breaks game balance", he means broken like "the damn things don't work". You two are of the same mind.
Actually, why don't we redo flamethrowers in general into something more cool?

I propose chemical throwers!

Chemical throwers would work like flamethrowers but accept many different types of gases or mixtures. Gas is stored in a tank, which is released and aimed by clicking on a square within a certain radius. Different gas mixtures could have different results: pure plasma could create a nasty flame, while cryoxadone mixed with supercooled nitrogen makes a freezing beam that traps things in solid ice. There's plenty of possibilities here, and chemists can discover all sorts of interesting effects. Perhaps a superconductive gel that can electrify people? Styptic and silver sulfadiazine together for long-range healing? Metal foam mixture for filling up hull breaches?
Cameron Higgs Wrote:Actually, why don't we redo flamethrowers in general into something more cool?

Chemical throwers would work like flamethrowers but accept many different types of gases or mixtures. Gas is stored in a tank, which is released and aimed by clicking on a square within a certain radius. Different gas mixtures could have different results: pure plasma could create a nasty flame, while cryoxadone mixed with supercooled nitrogen makes a freezing beam that traps things in solid ice. There's plenty of possibilities here, and chemists can discover all sorts of interesting effects. Perhaps a superconductive gel that can electrify people? Styptic and silver sulfadiazine together for long-range healing? Metal foam mixture for filling up hull breaches?
We kind of have this in the trusty spray bottle and slightly less trusty fire extinguisher, though.

I seriously support making flamethrowers better against the blob and kudzu, though. As it stands, the thing is absolutely useless against everything. Give engineers something to do instead of just grabbing a welder and going to town. Make it worthwhile to distribute flamethrowers to the crew (which will all of course be returned when the blob is defeated, heh).
Or you can make a chemical defoliant and spray it on plants. Spray on plants, watch it wither and see the poor assistant that got some chemical on him die from toxin damage.

Agent Orange.
Katznelson Wrote:Or you can make a chemical defoliant and spray it on plants. Spray on plants, watch it wither and see the poor assistant that got some chemical on him die from toxin damage.

Agent Orange.

We've already got atrazine. You could just make that effective against blob and kudzu and bother Chemistry.
Sarin's an organophosphate too, isn't it? unsmigghh
david2222121 Wrote:Sarin's an organophosphate too, isn't it? unsmigghh
...Yes, yes it is. Oh god.
Drink plasma and spit it out into a lit welder, instant dragon flamethrower. (make it happen :V)
Why not just redo flamethrowers so that it requires gas mixing, then you can either have someone who accidentally blows themselves up, or a blob killing superweapon that also sets half the station on fire.
Cameron Higgs Wrote:Actually, why don't we redo flamethrowers in general into something more cool?

i really like the idea of basically a weaponized spray bottle traitor item that can do longer range/larger AoE with chem gases like this
I say we do gasoline flamers.

Or in this case, welding fuel flamers.

Why?

Cause that's how MacReady would've wanted it