Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Arcfiend feedback thread
Post feedback about how arcfiend is horribly overpowered and/or far to weak here

All skills are subject to potential future adjustment

please be aware that if you tested or encountered one before today that there have already been a number of adjustments made. So be sure to give it a second look when forming your feedback
  • Sap Power - Drain power from a target entity or machine
  • Discharge - Run a powerful current through a target in melee range damaging mobs and depowering doors
  • Flash - Release a sudden burst of power around yourself disorienting nearby foes
  • Arc Flash - Unleash a ranged bolt of electricity that chains to nearby targets with reduced damage
  • Polarize - Unleash a wave of charged particles polarizing nearby mobs giving them magnetic auras
  • Ride The Lightning - Expend energy to travel through electrical cables
  • EM Field - Radiate electromagnetic waves disrupting nearby electrical signals such as radio communications for 30 seconds
  • Jolt - Charge up and release a series of powerful jolts into your target, eventually stopping their heart
  • (Passive) Energy Storage - Store up to 2000 energy to use with your abilities
  • (Passive) SMES Human - Immunity to most electric based attacks, identical to the gene
is there a place we can see what the arcfiend does? there is nothing on the wiki about it yet.
Having seen very little of them, I'm not sure how this would affect balance, but I think the arcfiend's chance of being in mixed_rp should be higher. Currently, they are exceedingly rare, considering how RP's rounds very consistently hit 2 hours.
(08-17-2021, 11:43 AM)Zonespace Wrote: Having seen very little of them, I'm not sure how this would affect balance, but I think the arcfiend's chance of being in mixed_rp should be higher. Currently, they are exceedingly rare, considering how RP's rounds very consistently hit 2 hours.

the initial appearance rates are not necessarily the final appearance rates. These are intended to ease it in slowly while we assess its balance and impact on the round, minimizing the disruption to players.
It seemed like a pretty low chance to me as well but i crunched the numbers poorly and i think it comes out to like, around 17% chance per day of seeing arcfiend? it's rough because I just assumed theres 12 shifts a day, when in reality shifts last a little over 2 hours, but then again there's early calls to shave off that time again, idk it's hard to get a solid number. Also i don't particularly understand how the function to choose game mode works so I just assumed any mode has 16.6% odds of occurring, which is probably not right

point is my math is probably a little screwy in a number of ways, i just hope the screwiness balances out. arcfiend may or may not pop up a little over once a week, if you squint and don't think about the math too hard, in a perfectly theoretical vacuum, is the final conclusion. nerds feel free to roast me
I will adjust the spawn for the RP server to be as common as any other mixed mob for the time being, but there is still a cap of 1. That's a 1 in 5 chance for each antag in the mixed round to be an arcfiend and not a spy thief or something else

late join is not enabled for the time being
IMHO there should be a visual indicator for other players for how much energy they've stored up.
well, i currently have to keep re-enabling it in my preferences every single round. not sure if it's just not saving properly or if it has something to do with the antag itself being in the secret module
(08-17-2021, 04:01 PM)Mopcat Wrote: well, i currently have to keep re-enabling it in my preferences every single round. not sure if it's just not saving properly or if it has something to do with the antag itself being in the secret module

this should now be resolved
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...791b65a897
Not a massive fan of arcfiend being in secret content file, just in case anyone else wants to add revisions. A solid quarter of my round when I played was spent just sipping an apc (which that alone takes like a half a minute), and even then I found myself constantly running out of charge. APC drain speed could either have there speed at which you drain increased, or (the option I prefer) have the amount of energy you get per energy drained increased. Most of the ability costs are fine, however the Ride the ability drains power like a motherfucker and that could turned down just a little bit (somewhere in the ballpark of 10-20%). EM field has a really misleading name and description, the name makes it sound like it would do emp pulses which the ability does not. Right now that ability is semi weak, could honestly just add a EMP explosion when you use it as a buff, also fixes the issue with naming confusion.
Wait what? Why is it kept secret? Is it a permanent kind of secret or is it only temporary?
arcfiends arent secret, theyre just in the submodule so the code can be kept closed source while Sov and the admins still tweak the balance and make the code better or something
[isf]
They feel too rare in my personal opinion, I’ve played for a while after they got introduced and have yet to see one that wasn’t from admemes.
I felt like it was antag where you need external gear to be effective, unlike wiz/ww/changeling/vampire/hunter.

Think it would be interesting to give them an ability based smes human equivalent, push the button and get smes human for 30 seconds.

Still, only tried it once so not a good idea of their strengths and weaknesses.