Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do developers hate port a sci?
first they make the pda app useless forcing people to use the physical remote, and now they require telecrystals to make more copies of the remote

it feels more and more like they don't actually want people doing telescience, which is sad saying how amazing exploring telesci can be.
port a sci is a nice way to give people a method of returning from the azone without requiring someone to stay back and just hit receive for others.

some arguments I've heard:

port a sci is the RD's toy - but the RD's toy should be the hand tele. just like how the CE has a RCD-C when anyone with EVA access can get a normal RCD, have the RD with a hand tele custom while anyone with teleporter access can get a normal hand tele

Azone shouldn't be done alone - this misses the point that without port a sci you require someone to sit at the teleporter all shift, and what if you want to do secret stuff without spoiling something for someone else?

This prevents azone rushing - this only works for people who aren't the RD. Also if you actually want to do any high level telesci you will need to rush azones as you are only given 2 hours to do things and telesci can take a long time.

One thing I do like about the changes tho is that port a sci isn't a cure all for rescue missions as it can no longer be sent by pda. I love the pda's new GPS app as a replacement. just give us replacement option instead of just removing things

my suggestion is that you make the telepad at the start of each azone capable of teleporting you back to the station, OR just give every scientist their own port a sci remote

I would be glad to hear the reasoning from the actual developers, discussion is good!
I don't like the crystal change but there's places you can get crystal guaranteed including in some azones
(08-15-2021, 01:33 PM)Cal Wrote: I don't like the crystal change but there's places you can get crystal guaranteed including in some azones

I know, but that only makes it a minor annoyance for experienced players while really hindering people who are new to telesci. I don't get what the point is.
I like the crystal change. Nothing sucked more then being robbed by mechanics so they can steal your toy.
> it feels more and more like they don't actually want people doing telescience, which is sad saying how amazing exploring telesci can be.
I'm certain you know that to be untrue. It's more like they're trying to avoid people cheesing it. You lose or mess up, try again next round.

In some zones as you may know, there are gauntlet-like obstacles. if you can send one person across successfully, they can teleport the entire team across.
Party got split up? Portasci. Left something back at station? Portasci. Someone died and got cloned? No problem, Portasci them back!

While this means players may complete their journey, this may not have been the intended means of completing them on part of the devs.
Struggling to get across, being forced to make tough decisions, losing a team member, all of that adds to the adventure. Cheesing it is just silly.

As you mentioned, Everyone now has a GPS program which can find their coords and be fed back to telesci to teleport you back.
While not as convenient as the old Port-a-sci, again, I think they want to avoid players cheesing things like that.

Aside from Azones, if a traitor builds an elaborate trap teleporting people off-station or into another z-level, guess what?
No worries everyone, AI is going to send me the telesci program and we'll be back home before you can say "Don't let the clown come back!"

Moreover, I heavily agree with making the telesci remote sparse for anyone aside from RD. It's theirs.[/] Whether they use it a little or a lot, [i]it doesn't belong to you.

>my suggestion is that you make the telepad at the start of each azone capable of teleporting you back to the station
This is the only thing I find agreeable, and even then I'm not certain if the Devs would.
Maybe a program to "Activate" the teleporter remotely, assuming it's still locked onto those coords.
This way you can still get back without having to scream for help over the radio.