Complaint Efrem - Goon 1 - 13/08/21
Admin : efrem/ CaptainBravo

Server : Goon 1

Date + Time : 13/08/21 10:30pm CET (GMT+1)

Synopsis :  It occurred that day but the day prior was also relevant.

Efrem was an omnipotent staff assistant and at some point i walk to them and comment on their skin saying its soft which is this thing i say to most people in game and i only thought of it as a funny thing and always had people react positively to it. 

Apparently efrem did not like that but never said so explicitely, and so i didn't understand this until the next day.

Now on the next day, they happen to be playing again, so i ask them why or if it even was not okay to make that comment (trying to understand and make sure they didnt like that) they ignore me so i make the same comment to my friend in game, efrem answers in their place finally make their feelings known to me saying they think it is inappropriate. 

At that same second i get banned for one hour, with the reason being : If this is what it takes to convince you I'm telling you to stop talking about my skin as an admin and not as a player then this is what's going to happen. Knock it off.

Now my problem with this whole thing is the way they handled it as i only made the comment during one round and never again and then get banned only because i wanted to make sure 

i think it would have been better if they had warned me (even tho, again, i didn't comment on his skin since the day before)

Extra information : I did DM them on Discord but i'm not sure if that was okay, it was mainly to understand, and to not make a big deal out of this. I did not receive any response. So i decided to do this here as i want to avoid this kind of treatement in the future.
I told you explicitly on Discord that I felt this was creepy. You then came up to me in-game the following day and started up with it again. I'm not going to punish you for making a complaint but if I ever see you ignore someone's wishes on something like this again your ban's going to be a lot longer than an hour. That's all I have to say about this. Utterly ridiculous.
(08-14-2021, 04:02 PM)CaptainBravo Wrote: I told you explicitly on Discord that I felt this was creepy. You then came up to me in-game the following day and started up with it again. I'm not going to punish you for making a complaint but if I ever see you ignore someone's wishes on something like this again your ban's going to be a lot longer than an hour. That's all I have to say about this. Utterly ridiculous.

I did not really see that on discord and if i have i might have forgotten.

And, again, I did not ignore your wishes as i havent done it again at all, all i did was ask if it was inappropriate, u said yes and directly banned me.
(08-14-2021, 04:21 PM)skenn Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 04:02 PM)CaptainBravo Wrote: I told you explicitly on Discord that I felt this was creepy. You then came up to me in-game the following day and started up with it again. I'm not going to punish you for making a complaint but if I ever see you ignore someone's wishes on something like this again your ban's going to be a lot longer than an hour. That's all I have to say about this. Utterly ridiculous.

I did not really see that on discord and if i have i might have forgotten.

And, again, I did not ignore your wishes as i havent done it again at all, all i did was ask if it was inappropriate, u said yes and directly banned me.

Not quite

[2021-08-13 21:28:35.610] say: Skenny Betty (Skenn) : that i think u have soft skin
[2021-08-13 21:28:44.281] say: Skenny Betty (Skenn) : u have soft skin

Frankly, efrem banning you for an hour for being creepy like this after explicitly being told not to is too lenient in my opinion, but this complaint is absurd. When an admin tells you to knock off being gross like this, as per Rule 2 of the servers, knock it the hell off and stop being weird.
Here is Efrem specifically telling you to knock off the skin comments yesterday.:

[Image: unknown.png]

You even responded to the contents of this comment so I am not sure how to reconcile this with your above post where you are arguing you had not seen it.
I also said i might have forgot which i did, which is also the reason i asked them if it was not okay, i don't see why ban me right after saying it's not appropriate, i already understood by that and was done with the whole thing.

I might be wrong but i believe this followed me saying "why is it wrong to say"
[2021-08-13 21:28:35.610] say: Skenny Betty (Skenn) : that i think u have soft skin

And i think this "[2021-08-13 21:28:44.281] say: Skenny Betty (Skenn) : u have soft skin" was directed to another person and i do apologize if i'm wrong

I have no problem apologizing for my mistakes (which i did in DMs) and i do recognize i completely forgot they said it was weird on discord which was a mistake.

Its just about getting banned right after being told to do something without me doing it again.
Just so a timeline of events is clear:

1) you did a thing
2) an admin told you in discord not to do a thing
3) you acknowledged this
4) you continue to do thing
5) you are banned for a single hour

None of this strikes me as something outside of the standard moderation process. You forgetting you were told not to do something does not absolve you.
(08-14-2021, 05:22 PM)Mrfishstick Wrote: 4) you continue to do thing
5) you are banned for a single hour

i did not continue to do the thing thats all ive been saying 

they asked me to not do the thing to them 
and i didnt 
I asked them if it was wrong which clearly shows that i forgot they already said that (even tho i havent done it to them again), why would i ask if i remember. 
and thats when i was banned, not after doing the thing.
I’m not entirely sure where the breakdown in the English language is happening here but efrem specifically told you to “stop making creepy comments about people’s skin you weirdo”. You apparently took this instruction as the opening of a debate on the matter instead of an admin specifically telling you not to do something but this is again, fairly immaterial.

You were ultimately banned for a single hour for directly disobeying an admin’s reasonable justified instructions, which seems an entirely appropriate punishment.

Multiple admins have now reviewed this interaction and the resulting punishment and feel nothing inappropriate on the part of a Goonstation staff member occurred. If you have new information which would change our understanding of events as they occurred you are most welcome to offer that up but barring that, this complaint is effectively settled.
This is getting a lot longer than i expected and i don't know if i'm not expressing myself correctly or what because i feel like none of the things i have been saying are being understood, I'm mostly repeating myself.

Again, why would I ask about it again if i do remember what they said on discord, and again, i did not make the skin comment again before they ban me i only asked about it.

Is asking about something an admin has talked about before not okay? Because that's all i said to the admin in game.
And i'd like to say It's not about the duration of the ban i do understand it was a very light ban, its more about the chain of events that to me doesn't deserve to end with a ban in the first place.

I don't want to extend this more it is too long already. I believe i said everything i had to say.
And i do apologize for taking from everyone's time.