Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Critical Condition Crawling
I've had this idea for a while and I think it's good. There should be an in-between stage in crit, between the lowcrit where you can walk around and do everything, and the deepcrit where you're unable to do anything at all and are basically dying. In this state, you'd be able to crawl slowly on the ground, but not interact with anything with your hands, and being grabbed would keep you still, like when you have no arms and get grabbed, so lings or vamps or whatever could still reliably get you without you crawling away annoyingly.

Upsides:

- Would lead to funny situations, for instance when you're getting murdered and the traitor killing you takes their eyes off you, say to fight sec or something, you could crawl into a shrub to try and avoid them. Or maybe crawl onto a mass driver in hopes of mailing yourself to medical. Or you hide in a shrub and leave a bloody trail, making it exceedingly obvious where you went. Many possible related humorous situations

- Would 'feel' right, being heavily injured and crawling away from danger is a common trope in Media, and it could even be kinda dramatic, crawling away from an explosion and getting to medical and surviving is a cool story. Since I think this game is very good particularly *for* its 'cool story' generating, the funny/dramatic angle is a big plus imo and fits in well.

- Players complain often about humans feeling very overly hardy in combat, getting up randomly even in deepcrit and still fighting. I think this is a good compromise instead of making people die faster or go into total hardcrit earlier; on the victim side you still get to play the game and feel like you have a chance to get away, and it would mean there'd be a step between '100% helpless' and '100% able to fight you' which I think is useful design space.

I think ideally crawling would be set to a hard health cap, say, at -100% for example (would need adjusting through testing I think, whatever feels most right) and then cardiac arrest would full-stun as normal whenever it triggers. Whenever you exit that health range, you stop crawling. Antag abilities could probably still be used during it if they're conscious and could still use them ie: changeling regen state. 

Would appreciate thoughts on this idea about horizontal space people tyia
We could hold races where we beat people to crit and see which one can crawl the furthest before dying. Bonus points if they can leave a blood smear trail wherever they crawl so we can get that horror movie vibe when we see a blood smear trail in maintenance. +1
I think it's a cool idea but I don't like the idea of being completely helpless. I'd like to be able to crawl away and bandage myself or have there be an item to get around this like epi pens for more drama. How cool is it when the action hero gets away and bandages their wounds closed ? Stuff like that, you know.
I like the idea, unsure about the impacts it would have in self surgery if you couldn't do it while in crit, specially with how much damage a bad fumble with a saw does. Usually you can heal after a bad fumble, if you couldn't act you would just have to wait for death or call for help if you could.
I've always found it weird in general how you can't use your hands while lying down.
(08-13-2021, 05:43 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: I've always found it weird in general how you can't use your hands while lying down.

Maybe if you were stationary, but crawling makes you drop things?
I agree with ONLY if it leaves a sick blood trail when you crawl around while bleeding.
Can't agree with Cal in this case.
The point is to stop them from being able to get up and keep fighting. At -100% HP, it seems fair to inflict them with severe penalties.
As an antag, being able to watch your victims helplessly crawl away, I think that may be satisfying and lead to interesting situations.
Personally I'm more interested in bloodtrails. A clue left behind by a mortally wounded victim, Perceptive crew can follow.

While I'm not against crit-prones' ability to use medical, I hope this won't extend to guns.
(As laying down provides 100% projectile stun dodge, 50% lethal projectile dodge)

Aside from that, another complaint from players is how reliant our combat has been on stuns.
So if a Lethal weapon can disable someone (at sufficient damage), maybe that's more incentive to utilize lethals as opposed to "stuns are king."

Sounds good to me.

---
edited out a repeated word.
Maybe if you try to use a weapon you have a greater chance to fumble or something with it? Its another common trope to have someone crawling with a gun and firing inaccurately in a vain attempt to hit the person who did this to them or they were chasing
I'm all for this, because i've constantly been vocal about zombie players being in deep crit and standing up to punch you when they're going through a heart attack.

One thing, currently while prone, if you manage to get an item in hand (Theres a few ways to do it) you drop the item essentially every tick that the server checks you, I think this is fine. Its basically every 1 or 1.5s you drop whatever you're holding in hands, which means the current automenders won't really heal too much if you're downed, but you'd of course have to manage to get it in hand, and currently its sort of a bug.

While in this state and effectively being considered restrained, so if someone drags/grabs you and you can't move? I'm alright with that, but my one issue with this that other servers go through is being stuck in maint, dying, and being unable to get out because you cannot interact with a door.

Said it before in the last thread where health came up.
Hit -100% HP, you hit exhaustion (As a debuff) and have like 2 stamina regen. You cannot stand up (Or maybe you can but cannot move?), you cannot interact with most things, and you crawl away, if bleeding, it leaves a blood trail as you go.

Folks can debate on being able to heal and such, but i'm 100% for saying even in this state, you should still be able to open a door so you can at least crawl away.
I'm not sure how this would be meaningfully different from just making the crit stunlock happen sooner.  If you can't interact with anything you're basically dead.
100% support, I hate how crit is either “you’re basically fine and will die in 5 minutes but can still take down antags” or “you’re unconscious and can’t do anything, it even hear or talk”. Having a state where antags can disable someone to where they can’t really fight back, but won’t die, while they are able to talk would be great for interrogations and kidnappings
I'm up to testmerging this for a week or two
TG code has a system of when you get crit you get stuck crawling, you can't interact with anything and you have to move slowly and honestly it doesn't really make things more dramatic or interesting its just annoying.
(08-14-2021, 02:58 PM)Mushroom Wrote: 100% support, I hate how crit is either “you’re basically fine and will die in 5 minutes but can still take down antags” or “you’re unconscious and can’t do anything,  it even hear or talk”. Having a state where antags can disable someone to where they can’t really fight back, but won’t die, while they are able to talk would be great for interrogations and kidnappings

I'd like to point out that anyone in mid-crit cannot meaningfully talk due to LOSEBREATH.