Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slot machines
I love the changes to the slot machines and the bar. It makes people use both the bar and the slots.
But the text gets spammy, specially when 4 people are playing.
So maybe remove the "Let's roll!" and "No luck!" and only announce winnings in text form?
It has some pretty neat sounds to let you know that you're playing, so text really isn't needed.
I support this. Maybe have the winning text appear on the Slot Machine's pop-up box and it just replaces itself every spin.
The new slot machines are way too generous, paying out at a ratio of like 50:1
It completely trivializes money by making you constantly richer as long as you can keep pressing the button
Hardly qualifies as gambling.
On one hand, yeah, it's very spammy. On the other hand, it's quite fun to see how it goes for your fellow gamblers.

Perhaps it'd be better if the only things that got announced to the chat were winnings from 10 000 and up, with the rest just causing the sounds to play. That way we can still glare at each other when someone strikes it big (and less scrupulous people know who to mug). I also support the idea to move the information on the last roll into the window itself as right now it's kind of tricky to know how the last spin went, if there's several people going at it.

zeknife Wrote:The new slot machines are way too generous, paying out at a ratio of like 50:1
It completely trivializes money by making you constantly richer as long as you can keep pressing the button
Hardly qualifies as gambling.
If they got less generous people wouldn't use them and the bar would get abandoned once again. Money is pretty trivial anyway as there's only so much one can do with it (blingdeathpod, Voltron, throw at assistants) and it gets reset every round. I see no need to nerf this.
I don't really mind the money because previously the only way to get any cash was to either

* be a QM and exploit the mostly-worthless market*
* hope the QMs were doing their jobs (and that you have something worth selling, unless you're a botanist or miner good luck with that)
* stea^W borrow people's ID cards and run them through a credit transfer device
* be HoP or get access to the finance computer in some way (and steal everyone else's money)
* enjoy one or two rounds of payday before the budget runs dry

The only bad thing about having more money in the system is when people were hitting the 1M jackpot every round and going out to buy the overpowered rocket launcher pod. Toning that down, it'd be cool to see more vending machines with more 'bling' items to blow money on. v

The lottery has a similar payout rate (if you buy about 20-30 tickets you're likely a winner, and if you aren't another 20-30 will usually hit on the doubled jackpot next time) but nobody ever really uses it.

LunaticLawyer Wrote:I support this. Maybe have the winning text appear on the Slot Machine's pop-up box and it just replaces itself every spin.
Leaving the payout messages in chat is fine because they aren't nearly as common. Besides, how else would you know who to rob at the end? v
I think it's pretty awful because it means people are spending significant amounts of time mindlessly cranking the money printers, as opposed to something that actually affects the round and causes player interaction, be that filling the quartermasters office with catering crates that may or may not be used for other purposes, or causing at least mild cooperation between sectors by selling ore or crops

If you're a traitor and your objective is to steal forty thousand space credits and escape alive, the safest option by far is to park yourself in the bar and play the new extra laggy edition of cookie clicker

Slot machines weren't uninteresting because they didn't pay out enough, it's because money itself isn't interesting. Turning them into bottomless bags of gold is hardly an improvement!
Fun Police detected.
zeknife Wrote:I think it's pretty awful because it means people are spending significant amounts of time mindlessly cranking the money printers, as opposed to something that actually affects the round and causes player interaction, be that filling the quartermasters office with catering crates that may or may not be used for other purposes, or causing at least mild cooperation between sectors by selling ore or crops

If you're a traitor and your objective is to steal forty thousand space credits and escape alive, the safest option by far is to park yourself in the bar and play the new extra laggy edition of cookie clicker

Slot machines weren't uninteresting because they didn't pay out enough, it's because money itself isn't interesting. Turning them into bottomless bags of gold is hardly an improvement!

Yes, because when you get traitor once in a blue moon you will spend it at the slots.
I mean, fuck having fun by mugging people / stealing an ID / being horrible with your carte blanche to grief. I can see it now, every round becomes extended by default as all the traitors sit in the bar, playing the slots. roll eyes (sarcastic)
Spy_Guy Wrote:Yes, because when you get traitor once in a blue moon you will spend it at the slots.
I mean, fuck having fun by mugging people / stealing an ID / being horrible with your carte blanche to grief. I can see it now, every round becomes extended by default as all the traitors sit in the bar, playing the slots. roll eyes (sarcastic)

i wish the objective got changed to smaller amount and also had something that said "not from the slot machines." it'd support people mugging each other or starting up lil businesses/rackets instead of mobbing the lottery, the slots, or immediately going for the HoP

other slot machine suggestion: emagged slots should take from the station budget and maybe also have a higher payout rate
Some traitors do use the slots and I don't really see any problem with that.
"Let's Roll!" has been turned off.